Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2020, 22:18   #1
mbev51
Banned

75 cdt tourer

Default Coronavirus pandemic

Hi, think it may well turn into a pandemic, with people walking around with masks on routinely as they do abroad. Cruise ships are disastrous for incubating then spreading the virus to different countries. Worst case, it could cause a world recession as well as killing people. Hope the government is taking it seriously.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 22:38   #2
SCP440
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 260

It has just been on the news that some of the worlds stock markets have taken a big hit today.

I know locally some of the businesses I deal with are already feeling the pinch, one hotel reckons 80% of his bookings at this time of year are from China, Japan and other areas around there as its cheaper for them to travel here at this time of year.

Scary times.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 23:05   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Thanked 5,850 Times in 3,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, think it may well turn into a pandemic, with people walking around with masks on routinely as they do abroad. Cruise ships are disastrous for incubating then spreading the virus to different countries. Worst case, it could cause a world recession as well as killing people. Hope the government is taking it seriously.
The British government has the infrastructure and resources to manage the virus, compared to some of the other countries around the world which are struggling or do not have the resources.

Last week, I was in Ethiopia and in Kenya visiting the international airports where all the staff were wearing masks and gloves, even on the aircraft, all of the cabin crew were wearing masks and so was I, as Chinese Airlines still fly in and out of Ethiopia and I did not want to take a chance of an infected person or a carrier coughing over me during an encounter in the airport.

Arriving at Terminal 2 at Heathrow, not a soul was wearing a mask/gloves.

Terminal 2 had no flights coming in from China, hence the low risk.

The next biggest enemy is project fear and panic.

Why your post? Are feeling anxious?
Old 25th February 2020, 09:24   #4
planenut
motorvatin

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 1,238 Times in 867 Posts

One has to be aware of the environment and the surrounding members of it. Take normal sensible hygiene precautions.

If you suspect you have some symptoms, act sensibly as you should with any lurgy.

I think the United States acted stupidly in respect to their cruise ship passengers, actually flying those with positive results in the same aircraft as those with negative - it will be interesting to hear of any "positive" results over there.

In Britain, over 4000 people are lost due to flu each year, don't ignore what's on the doorstep.

Last edited by planenut; 25th February 2020 at 09:27..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to planenut For This Useful Post:
Old 25th February 2020, 09:24   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,307 Posts

mmmm could be the spread of people from effected countries strolling around and not taking it seriously and therefore spreading it.

What are members of the public doing to prevent the spread?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 09:38   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,744 Posts

I have read that one of the reasons why China has been hit so hard is that most men smoke really heavily and so are predisposed to chest infections.

There is genuine concern - but that stats indicate that 4 out of 5 people shrug this thing off as a mild flu.

What is interesting about it is how the infected are infectious for 14 days before symptoms. Plus the fact that you need to be quite close to someone for transmission to take place.
Old 25th February 2020, 09:42   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post

The next biggest enemy is project fear and panic.

Why your post? Are feeling anxious?
That’s weird.........

I have this strange feeling of deja vu.

Old 25th February 2020, 11:43   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Thanked 5,850 Times in 3,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
mmmm could be the spread of people from effected countries strolling around and not taking it seriously and therefore spreading it.

What are members of the public doing to prevent the spread?

macafee2
I can only speak from personal experience.

On the flight from Nairobi to Addis a Boeing 737-800, a local got onto the plane, a large man carrying 3 laundry bags full of clothes, he also had cabin bag with wheels and he was having a problem placing them into the overhead bins as they were quite large and were slightly too big.

The man came beside me, with a terrible smell of rancid body odour. I did not blame him as it’s not always possible to shower before a flight if there is no access to showering and weather hot. I was in an aisle seat.

As he was trying to stuff his bags into the full overhead bins, he was sweating profusely and sprayed his perspiration over myself and some of the other passengers. They cursed him in Swahili, shouting “Get off the blah blah plane” ....

Fortunately for us, there was space in the front and in an instant the crew decided to upgrade him from economy and moved him into business class.

His sweat had dropped onto my hands and arms. Yuck and horrors!

When I complained to the cabin stewardess about the backs of my hands and arms being sprayed by the sweating man, I was taken to the toilet and told to wash....

and when I came out, the stewardess gave me large dollops of disinfectant cream to apply to my hands and arms.

I touched the toilet door handles, using paper towels to open and close the doors. I did not sit on the toilet seat.

I washed my hands frequently and took my own food to eat on the flight, Chocolate, biscuits and crisps.

From what I have seen, the advice is washing of hands frequently. If I have to use a stair rail or escalator in a public place, I would wash my hands afterwards.

If you have a carrier of the virus coughing over you, wearing of N95 face masks helps not to breath in the virus into your lungs.

People with a history of smoking or having other health issues are more at risk. For the vulnerable, they must follow the hand washing precautions, concentrate on boosting their immunity and avoid public gatherings which might involve touching others.

In one culture I know, on greeting it is normal to hug, kiss on the cheek or the lips. Another culture, on meeting, the kiss is with the tongue sticking out. With the virus, those courtesies have to stop.

In 1981, there was around 100 cases of HIV/Aids in the UK and look at what it has become, how the treatment is now much improved and people are living longer. We know much more about it, how it was spread and we are still learning about it ....
Old 25th February 2020, 13:04   #9
mileshawk56
Gets stuck in

MGZT

I always wear gloves in supermarkets and shops, always wash my hands when returning home or if needed in public places, don't travel by bus, train or plane- but even after all that could be infected so no "magic bullet" ever. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 16:29   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
I always wear gloves in supermarkets and shops, always wash my hands when returning home or if needed in public places, don't travel by bus, train or plane- but even after all that could be infected so no "magic bullet" ever. Chris S.
not traveling by bus etc, is that for fear of something or no need?

if we live in too sterile environment "as soon" as we go out into the big wide world with all those bugs we fall ill because our bodies have not had to fight any germs.

worry less.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post: