Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th September 2020, 14:15   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Default Feel like crying 😢

After a hectic week at work with limited time to sort out my brake calliper seizing, I managed to free it off and fit new pads and all was well after a road test so the car was good to use for our holidays. We set off full to the brim for a 300 mile drive to Bath. After 150 miles we stopped for a break and once ready to go again noticed the battery light on . As it has done 193,000 miles I knew this day would come so call the AA to help us decide a plan. As it was Sunday afternoon we decided to give the alternator a couple of whacks and it started charging so we decided to risk getting to our destination and to look at a repair once there. 70 miles later it came on so as the battery was charged I switched off all unnecessary electrics and risked getting to our campsite another 77 miles. 10 miles from the site coming off a busy roundabout I missed a turning due to being stressed to bits and sideswiped a car in my blind spot causing damage to my passenger door and sill and dented the poor lady’s wing. We swapped details and I made it to our campsite. I’ve spent an hour this morning with another AA patrol charging my battery and whacking the alternator to get it to work again to get it to the only garage in the area willing to look at it on Friday at the earliest. I’ve dropped it off and got a taxi back to our tent to ring the insurance company with my tale of woe. I don’t want to give up the car so I need a moonstone n/s/f door to make the car presentable until I can get the sill pulled out. Wish me luck !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 14:27   #2
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I thaught I was having a bad one . So sorry to hear all that
It runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 14:40   #3
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Sorry to hear that also.
Hope it all gets sorted out and you manage to keep her running.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 14:51   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Bad enough on a normal day, but at the start of your holiday absolutely awful. I feel like crying with you. My cars are my "pets", so I know how you feel. Try to enjoy the break.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 14:55   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I feel your pain Pete, not nice at all, especially having a dunsh too Best of luck mate
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 14:56   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Sorry to hear this.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 15:05   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Thank you gentlemen. My 2 75’s are my pets as well as cars lol ! I’m just off the phone from my insurance company who have been most reassuring. I’ve admitted liability to help the lady I hit get sorted quickly and I said I didn’t want to claim for my own car as I have an excess of £310 and she said they would write off the car if I claim due to age but would come to an agreement allowing me to keep the car. I also have 17 years of protected no claims so that should keep the cost down hopefully. I’ll try to find a door and price getting the sill dent pulled out then continue to enjoy the car.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 15:39   #8
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default I just filled my Diesel with Unleaded !!!

We all have bad days, I just filled up with unleaded and had no idea I had done it, car was 50/50 diesel and unleaded and so it ran but real rough, I concluded that the Turbo was knackered and bought another 75 then twigged, a fuel drainage company came out and sorted my car in 40 mins and charged me £200 and its as good as ever.....so these things happen to all of us :-(
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 19:28   #9
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

That sounds like an awful day. Hope you get it all sorted ok.
I had an insurance company say they would write my previous 75 off after it was side swiped but I argued the case and asked them to find me an equivalent replacement 75 for the same amount of money involved. In the end they gave me a cash settlement and I kept the car with nothing on its record. Different to your case as this was the other party's company. Often easier to just pay rather than go through the hassle.

Dont know if this is any good for you?
Green door
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2020, 20:48   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

P.P. Very sorry to read about your mishap. Fortunately the alternator is an easy fix so don't let it ruin your holiday.

As you say, the rest can be sorted out when you get back home.

Some of those alternator problems can be fixed if you catch them soon enough by just fitting new brushes. As long as the slip rings haven't burnt it should be OK.---

Good luck.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote