Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2006, 17:32   #1
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Default Internet explorer 7 HELP

Was advised on the sky news site to install IE7 because nothing was working as it should, did so and couldn't get any websites to work at all.

Did a system restore back to yesterday and all websites load up but it has gone really really slow please help i'm thick when it comes to computers
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 20:59   #2
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Load of tat........installed Firefox everything now fine in fact it's speeded everthing up, like how it was when I first Broadband Excellent.:lol:
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 21:14   #3
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Glad you sorted it - I'm afraid I do not use IE at all (other than for testing purposes) and have never found a problem with Firefox at all

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 21:58   #4
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Was advised on the sky news site to install IE7

Not sure I'd advise ANYONE, never mind half a nation!

Glad you got it sorted
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 01:02   #5
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Its all very well all these places "advising" people to "upgrade" to IE7 but it is surprising just how many people out there are still running on SP1 (for one reason or another they either turned off automatic updates, or never installed SP2 because of all the scare stories when it came out) and never mind the pirates, as they dont care anyway as they have already found a way around that.

But this is a problem, as a few of my customers (who have legal versions of windows) have went ahead and attempted to install IE7, only to find half way through it goes wrong, (because they dont have SP2 and ignored/did not understand the warning box telling them they needed it) and then they find themselves with no internet explorer.

Ok.. easy enough says I... install firefox and update that way.

No.

Microsoft in all thier wisdom will not let you update unless you are using Internet explorer.

so.. thier install program has just removed IE6 from your machine.

you cannot download SP2 or IE6 from Microsoft as they do not allow firefox near it.

You need IE6 to get SP2 before you can update to IE7

so what do you do?

Use firefox to find a non microsoft site with SP2 on it, download that and then you can download IE7, and you just try telling a non computer literate person all that down a phone.............
Old 21st December 2006, 10:33   #6
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

I too had problems with ie7, but couldnt get system restore to work.
I used the uninstall programs option annd this reverted to ie6.
the only problem now is that msn is now the default homepage and I cannot reset it via tools/internet options- I guess its installed itself in a script somewhere- NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- PCs
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:45   #7
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Its not all doom and gloom with IE7. I've installed it on three seperate systems (all with varying setups) without any problems. What are people doing wrong??? Yes, its wildly different which can lead to confusion/bewilderment (it did me too, I even rolled-back when I first installed the beta, but with the relase version I really quite like it and hate using previous incarnations now).
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:53   #8
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Was advised on the sky news site to install IE7 because nothing was working as it should, did so and couldn't get any websites to work at all.
This to me would suggest a problem with the PC and/or connection, not the browser. Any page should show in any browser, it just might not look right (i.e. images badly layed-out text broken-up into bizzare columns, etc.) - websites would not suddenly work anymore becuase IE7 had been launched.
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 12:31   #9
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

What I find people are doing is not checking thier PC will run it before they start. as in the situation in my thread above, Not all PC's will run IE7 (especially those that still use SP1 and of course the "naughty" versions)
Any PC that was running correctly before IE7 was installed, should (you would have thought) still run correctly afterwards, and quite clearly this is not happening everywhere, for various reasons (some already mentioned)
I have had about 25 PC's through the workshop since it was released and of those, only 2 refused to work, and to be honest they were borderline to run XP as it was 3 years ago, so I just left them as they were.
However, people using toolbars have reported problems, and sure enough tucked away deep in microsofts little website i found this......

Quote:
The following toolbars have known issues or have updates available.

Google Desktop--Earlier versions of Google Desktop could cause Internet Explorer 7 to stop responding when opening new tabs. You need to install the latest version of the Google desktop.

MSN 1.02 Toolbar--The MSN toolbar version 1.02 causes Internet Explorer 7 to stop responding. You can download the latest version of the MSN Toolbar here.

Microsoft Developer Toolbar and Internet Explorer 7--The latest version of the Microsoft Developer Toolbar runs correctly with Internet Explorer 7. You can download it from the Internet Explorer Download Page. Previous versions of the Developer Toolbar do not display correctly on systems running Internet Explorer 7 and sometimes cause Internet Explorer to hang.

VeriSign i-Nav™ Plug-in--Users of the VeriSign i-Nav IDN Resolver Plug-in might notice that they are unable to navigate to Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in Internet Explorer 7. This is caused by Internet Explorer 7 enhanced support for IDNs. To navigate to IDNs in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer, and then click the Tools button.
2. Click Manage Add Ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add Ons.
3. Find and click the listing for i-Nav browser extensions.
4. Under Settings, click Disable.

RoboForm Toolbar version 6.3.96--Opening multiple tabs in Internet Explorer 7 with the RoboForm Toolbar might cause the browser to stop responding when it is used with Internet Explorer 7.

Cooxie Toolbar version 1.1.05--The Cooxie Toolbar might cause Internet Explorer 7 to stop responding.

Diodia Toolbar version 2.4.01--Internet Explorer 7 might stop responding when running this toolbar.

Ask Toolbar by AskJeeves version 4.0.1.1--Internet Explorer 7 might stop responding when running this toolbar.

Yellow Pages Toolbar version 4.0--This toolbar does not work correctly with Internet Explorer 7 installed.

Mojicon Dispenser--This toolbar can cause Internet Explorer 7 to stop responding.

Logos Word Toolbar--Internet Explorer 7 can stop responding if there are multiple tabs open with this toolbar installed.

Adelphia Toolbar version 1.2--Opening multiple tabs with this toolbar can cause Internet Explorer 7 to stop responding.

there are other gems in there as well....
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:30   #10
karlm

ZT-T

I know of several people who have had issues with downloading and installing IE7, including 1 day when on the phone to the Fujitsu tech helpdesk they told me thay had had 8 or 9 calls so far that morning.

However there is an easy fix without running system restore or losing any data.

From control panel, select add and remove programmes. Once the list come up tick the show updates box, one of the updates will be IE7, select remove and then restart the machine. This automatically rolls the programme back to IE6.

HTH.
karlm is offline   Reply With Quote