Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th July 2015, 21:29   #1
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Default Overheating 2.5 auto?

Combination of hot sunny day with aircon on max and lowest setting, and a 100 mile motorway drive with cruise control set to 70. Halfway along I noticed the temp gauge start to rise slowly until a brief "engine overheat" flashed upon the message centre. I immediately turned the aircon off and slowed down to 55, at which point the gauge fell back to 9 o'clock, the normal position.

Pulled off at the next service station and checked the (hot) water level opening the cap as carefully as possibly to find water sloshing around the max level. So I carried on the journey at a steady 55 and the engine never indicated that it was overheating again except for a brief trial at 70 which on dropping back to 55 caused the temp gauge to go to normal again.

I let the engine cool down all afternoon then checked the water level only to find that none was visible in the chamber. So I topped up with around 200ml which got it to above the max line, and put the car in diagnostic mode. I put the aircon on full demist and a very noisy fan immediately kicked in (I'm assuming that's supposed to, though I had been getting the impression for the past couple of weeks that the fan sounds a lot louder than usual, is that normal in hot weather?)

The engine temperature driving at a constant 60mph on the way home read a steady 99. I then drove for a while at 70 and it rose to 102 but no higher.

I'll take it in to be looked at this week but in the meantime wondered if anyone can suggest any problems to consider? I had the thermostat replaced three years ago and there is no coolant visible to me so unlikely to be that. I don't often have to top the coolant up but 200ml didn't stricke me as excessive given I probably haven't checked the levels in a few months (I drive a V6 after all, not a 1.8!) Am wondering if it's me or it the fan is noisier than usual, though at the same time I had the thermostat done I had something done to the fans I forget exactly what but seem to recall one or more of the motors had packed up. At the last service it was mentioned that there might be a slight radiator leak in as much as there was a trace of dried coolant visible apparently but I have rarely if ever had to top the car up since that service.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 21:37   #2
StephenEssex
Loves to post

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

99 to 102 seems quite high if your cruising along at 60/70MPH.

I monitor mine and even without a working fan it holds around 92șC at cruising speed, I guess because of the air getting in through the front of the car.

Today was very hot though...
StephenEssex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 22:52   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If the fan sounds 'louder' maybe it is. The slow speed should start and run continuously whenever aircon is engaged. I suspect the slow speed has packed in and you're hearing the higher speed (is it a 2-speed or the older 3-speed?). Low speed engine cooling trips on at 100C, so your readings suggest it's not working - or the engine is really working hard.

I suggest you run the Demist test with the cold engine on tickover and take it from there.
You might also check for coolant leakage into the engine V (thermostat housing failure is No1 cause of coolant loss in the V6).

If you can't do either check, tell the garage what to do.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 23:06   #4
Wayne2015
Loves to post

Mk1 MG ZT V6 (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If the fan sounds 'louder' maybe it is. The slow speed should start and run continuously whenever aircon is engaged. I suspect the slow speed has packed in and you're hearing the higher speed (is it a 2-speed or the older 3-speed?). Low speed engine cooling trips on at 100C, so your readings suggest it's not working - or the engine is really working hard.

I suggest you run the Demist test with the cold engine on tickover and take it from there.
You might also check for coolant leakage into the engine V (thermostat housing failure is No1 cause of coolant loss in the V6).

If you can't do either check, tell the garage what to do.

TC
+1

Mine went to 107 before fan kicked in and brought it down to 99.

Everyone on here said that was too high and asked me to do the demist test - which shown mine low speed fan did not kick in....so either a new fan or repair needed...
Wayne2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 23:08   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Pulled off at the next service station and checked the (hot) water level opening the cap as carefully as possibly to find water sloshing around the max level.
If you were able to remove the cap immediately after a 70 mph cruise and without scalding yourself, then your system isn't pressurising properly and that's why it overheated briefly.

You need to look for that elsuive radiator leak (and check in the 'V' too as advised already).

Simon
Old 20th July 2015, 08:58   #6
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Do you know how old the thermostat is?

As it sounds to me the beginnings of V6 thermostat failure (ie; sticking shut) to me!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 09:17   #7
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The fan should not come on at motorway speeds, at all.
So, assuming your story is correct, you can only have two problems causing what you have seen, and that is a lack of coolant or a stuck thermostat.

I would as a first step look for water in the V near the thermostat.

(not even considering more exotic failures like a blockage and or a water pump problem)

My first guess is that you have lost water, and that would be considerably more than 200ml!! So I think you have not filled the system correctly.

The other option is a stuck thermostat, which in itself would also lead to water loss, because of temperature and pressure increases.

In short, fill up you water level for starters and then monitor. If overheating persists, change the thermostat.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 10:30   #8
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Thanks, car booked in for service and insepection in a week's time and will only be doing local driving inbetween. Thermostat was replaced (due to coolant loss) three years ago and I can't see any fluid in the engine V gully so would be surprised if it has gone so soon, but my local expert ex-Rover mechanic will undoubtedly sort things out.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 10:42   #9
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
The fan should not come on at motorway speeds, at all.
There was a thread in the last week or so. The question was raised as to whether the cooling fan is ever off when the Air Conditioning is on. The thinking was that perhaps it never turns off. So the OP may need to ensure air conditioning is either off or at least on ECON in order to test fan operation at motorway speeds.
Stag>75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 11:05   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

It is possible that the fan is on if the A/C is switched on. It would not have any effect on the engine cooling at these speeds however, as the ram effect (from the car moving) will exceed the ability of the fan to pump air by far at motorway speeds.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote