Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 22:22   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default CV Grease quantity query...

Ive got a couple of new CVs to fit, they are original Rover ones from ages ago, and they have a black cap on them and are filled with grease.

Now my question is, should I use all the sachets that come with the CV boot kit, or are the sachets made for a totally dry CV joint?

Have other people had CVs pre-filled with grease?!
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 12:11   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I haven't a wide experience of CVJ boots, but I've never come across any pre-filled with grease. I imagine it would hinder rather than help. Where a grease sachet is supplied, I've always used the lot.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2019, 13:27   #3
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

The joint itself is packed with grease, so that the hole where the shaft goes is full.

I can either

1) fit and forget, as maybe there is enough grease in the joint.
2) De-grease the joint, and fire in the three sachets of grease that come with the boot kits for an exact quantity.

Cant make up my mind on what to do, I did some light reading online that suggested overfilling a CV can be bad news.

Has anyone seen anything in RAVE about the qty required? I have not unless I am blind.

The grease already packed in the CV seems very solid compared to the grease in the sachets with the kit, so I am a bit dubious about mixing the two types, maybe better to just clean the joint out, start fresh, and use the 3 sachets that came with the kit? Bit of a pain in the rear, but I suppose for peace of mind once its done I know the correct qty is in there, and just one type of grease.

Last edited by T16; 24th August 2019 at 13:55..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2019, 14:01   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The grease is usually the black moly type. It shouldn't be very hard/sold. It's typical grease.
The paperback RAVE manual simply says to pack the assembled joint with grease from the sachet as per 'the instructions in the kit.' It doesn't indicate how many sachets there are or how much grease (eg. by weight) is needed. So not very helpful. I'd use most if not all that supplied with the boot.

It's a matter of common sense I guess. The boot should definitely not be inflated like a balloon when finished. It should not feel that different from the empty state.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th August 2019 at 14:03..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote