Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th April 2019, 05:22   #31
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post

The use of things like birth dates, house numbers and age etc. are often advised against but I think that is more secure than carrying a written pin reminder with a card.
I might seems so, but do not forget that if whole bag is stolen, or valet, then most probably thief will have info of the birthdate, house address or age as well, and that will be one of the first thing he will try to use as PIN. ID cards usualy have that info, and you carry IDs with you.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 14:27   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
I might seems so, but do not forget that if whole bag is stolen, or valet, then most probably thief will have info of the birthdate, house address or age as well, and that will be one of the first thing he will try to use as PIN. ID cards usualy have that info, and you carry IDs with you.

An easy way is to fudge an easy to remember date add (or subtract) 1111 to the date. The 1111 can be replaced with 2222 or 1234 or 4321, endless possibilities to fudge an easy to remember number.

Such would make it easy to remember the number, but make it far more difficult for a thief. They would have to try the 9,999 different possible pin numbers, unless they knew the method you used to fudge it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 10:47   #33
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

does android not have a function of wiping the data remotely or can she not get into her google account and retrieve data, sorry iPhone here and only suggesting things
Old 7th April 2019, 11:25   #34
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
does android not have a function of wiping the data remotely or can she not get into her google account and retrieve data, sorry iPhone here and only suggesting things
Yes, Android have possibility to remotly wipe the data, but it needs to be activated as a security feature from the first place, which most of the people does not do. In order to download data from Google account then you suppose to put all pictures and other personal stuff to Google and not on SD card, which is not some people like to do, espacialy in these days when privacy is "on sale" if not taken good care of.
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 11:27   #35
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Yes, Android have possibility to remotly wipe the data, but it needs to be activated as a security feature from the first place, which most of the people does not do. In order to download data from Google account then you suppose to put all pictures and other personal stuff to Google and not on SD card, which is not some people like to do, espacialy in these days when privacy is "on sale" if not taken good care of.
thanks for setting me straight and good to know for the future
Old 8th April 2019, 15:05   #36
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Question

"Any blocked/no service phones for sale?"

I've been watching social media (together with friends and family lol) for anything of interest re this theft and the advert quoted above recently came to light. I'm not very savvy about mobile phones so the advert raises the question in my mind as to how a mobile phone could legitimately meet the requirements of such an advert. Anyone got any ideas?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 21:05   #37
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
"Any blocked/no service phones for sale?"

I've been watching social media (together with friends and family lol) for anything of interest re this theft and the advert quoted above recently came to light. I'm not very savvy about mobile phones so the advert raises the question in my mind as to how a mobile phone could legitimately meet the requirements of such an advert. Anyone got any ideas?
Probably a post from a clever little Hacker who has found a cunning way to bring these phones back to life.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote