Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2017, 17:04   #41
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
please do not ignore the evidence. There is much on this site and elsewhere on this trend:-

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=277079&page=2

Bendrick's post :-
Apparently so. It's pretty worrying

I had a previous Rover 75 for three years with no problem of this description ( didn't have a sunroof on that one) and had no idea that an electrical or water ingress problem could cause something as bizarre as this to happen.

Then we have the problem that in cold weather Rover 75 (and BMW) doors will not close. Many Rover 75 owners are older who may need to rush a loved one to hospital during the cold weather especially as of late we can struggle to get ambulances to even emergencies in the UK. The very obvious risk is unless we get to the bottom of "exactly why" doors suddenly will not close Rover 75 enthusiasts could find themselves trying to rush a loved one to hospital in freezing temperatures in a car where they suddenly find that cannot close the door.
I think the OP is trying to wind us up !
Merry Xmas Ed3
Old 20th December 2017, 17:08   #42
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Well if the 75 and ZTs are no long useable........ I'm right stuffed then !!!

It's my everyday car LOL
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 17:58   #43
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Evidence:-

Quote Bendrick's post :-
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:00   #44
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The problem with a car model forum is most people will not come on here and say '' there has not been anything wrong with my car today and it has performed perfectly''

On the other hand as soon as there a problem you will be on here saying '' my $£%^"£ has failed how do I fix or replace it'' And of course this makes us all think these cars are always having problems. It is exactly the same on any forum.
OK - there have not been any issues with my car, not even the slightest of issues in the past 18 months. If fact in all of the years I have had it, it has been supremely reliable. THE most reliable and consistent vehicle I have ever owned in the past 54 years.

It is true of forums in many spheres of life, ISP forums are full of complaints about every ISP, car forums full of problems with the marque, energy company forums full of complaints about the company. This forum is no different - full of people with problems with their 75 and of course lots just here to try to help.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:05   #45
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Think of recalls where there are serious problems even life threatening problems with cars.

No recall could occur if the problems were ignored on the basis some cars worked OK
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:08   #46
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

In the last few years i've owned my Cowley she has only ever let me down once and that for an under bonnet pump that was diagnosed within minutes of Trikey plugging his box of tricks into her and back on the road the following day with a minimum of fuss. It was on the original pump by the looks of things so nearly 18 years old before it let go. I've changed it over to leathers since i've owned it and absolutely no trace that there has ever had any water under the rears and the boot is completely dry and no signs there of previous leakage either. Last couple of mot's has only had minor advisories so nothing much to worry about there.
It's used daily for work and gets regular compliments from clients when i go to their houses and in a couple of cases requests to be taken for a spin.
Contrast that to the previous car which was a Mazda, generally renowned for their reliability. In 18 months she had a radiator rot out from the bottom, dead stat, both cv's needed replacing, constant issues with drivers door electrics and window, Maf died, rear anti roll bar detached and a pita leak into the boot as well as relatively uncomfortable seats and a soul less interior. This was from a car of half the age and less than half the mileage.
Considering how little i paid for her and how little it has cost to get her nice since i cannot think of anything else i would sooner get up in the morning and go to work in for anything even vaguely close to what mine has cost me and it's certainly the only car for a very long while that still puts a smile on my face when driving her and although sad to admit it's the only car that i always look back after i've parked up and walked away and still think it's a damn fine looking car.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:08   #47
SplendidChap
Avid contributor

Rover 75

"If we look at the postings on forums it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is happening to the decade plus old Rover 75 it will no longer be viable for most people."

My car's had a leaky sunroof, drenched carpets, leaky boot and light clusters. However all of these were fixed, at some expense, by the previous owner using knowledge gained from this forum. Now it doesn't leak at all even though it is parked outside.
These are just typical problems on older cars. Buy carefully or be prepared to spend some money or do some work yourself. Buy an old Toyota if you want ultimate reliability, but if you want a bit of quirky class then accept the issues that go with it.
As you can see this forum is an excellent digest of the issues with these cars, the advice is free, and it's run by amateurs who make nothing out of it. People with expertise will even help to assess a potential purchase. So really one should be grateful that such a resource exists at all rather than complain about it. We like these cars, warts and all, and help each other keep them on the road and improve them.

So to reply to the original post, I would say we have a very good understanding of the issues around running one of these decade plus old cars and that the criticism is unjustified.
SplendidChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:26   #48
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Just to balance things out a little... a thread that is currently in discussion HERE...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:39   #49
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Time to wake up Mike? My car has not reached the end of it life but rather requires more work than many can do and many are experiencing the same.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=277079&page=2

Bendrick's post :-

I had a previous Rover 75 for three years with no problem of this description ( didn't have a sunroof on that one) and had no idea that an electrical or water ingress problem could cause something as bizarre as this to happen.

Then we have the problem that in cold weather Rover 75 (and BMW) doors will not close. Many Rover 75 owners are older who may need to rush a loved one to hospital during the cold weather especially as of late we can struggle to get ambulances to even emergencies in the UK. The very obvious risk is unless we get to the bottom of "exactly why" doors suddenly will not close Rover 75 enthusiasts could find themselves trying to rush a loved one to hospital in freezing temperatures in a car where they suddenly find that cannot close the door.
Just pour boiling water on the lock area and be on your way !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 19:48   #50
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Ed3 - at 10+ years old, the car's usability and reliability is going to be determined largely by how it's been looked after (and hopefully, this will have determined the price paid).

Looking at your various posts, it feels like you have purchased a neglected car.

If you wish to buy a R75 CDT Connie SE with none of the problems that you mention, or indeed any other problems, I can offer you one. It will come with a warranty that if any mechanical or other issues develop before 1 Jan 2020, they will be fixed FOC to yourself. I expect the car to last until 18 years of age as a minimum with minimal further expenditure. A link follows.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=134788

Make me an interesting offer over £6k.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote