Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 11:23   #11
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Reluctantly let mine go as I felt i just physically couldn't maintain it to a good standard , my days of rolling around under cars are coming to an end .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:55   #12
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Talking about reluctant sales, how about reluctant and impulsive buys, many years ago I was offered to buy my wife for 2 Camels, 5 Sheep, and 2 Horses, needless too say I bought her on the strength of those never ever received them,

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 12:29   #13
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
I've just "reluctantly" paid half the Zeds perceived value for a few parts

C
Yes - that can get frustrating - many old Land Rovers are like “Triggers Broom” where little of the original vehicle remains. And I think any true enthusiast would want to keep a much loved vehicle up and running and well maintained. So our cars are increasingly having the same attention.

For my own circumstance - we keep considering a Motorhome - if we do go down that route then it is likely that my lovely ZTT will be offered for sale.

And it will be a reluctant sale as I would rather sell the i30 Tourer than the MG. And I would not give it away. I am lucky enough to have space to keep it if I really wanted - and I might do so in case “Motorhomeing” is not all it’s cracked up to be.

So I can see myself advertising it on the basis of a “Reserve Price” that if no offers are made to match or exceed the Reserve Price - it does not get sold.

This is how an awful lot of items are sold. To try to infer that there is something intrinsically “odd” in this - is in itself - “odd”.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 18:37   #14
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I see a lot of cars fall in the category of "reluctant sale" these days. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

It's just that when I am reluctant to do something, it doesn't happen.

I would say that if you are selling your car, do it willingly and with visibly unbounded enthusiasm!

Err... If the seller said 'I can't wait to get rid of it' they'd be lucky to sell it! They would also be expected to explain why. In most cases "reluctant sale", is just sales patter.
Old 15th August 2019, 18:57   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
.......In most cases "reluctant sale", is just sales patter.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Err... If the seller said 'I can't wait to get rid of it' they'd be lucky to sell it!...........
I suspect this is what most people would read into the aforementioned. I certainly do.

It's a bit like expressing ones love for the other half at the divorce proceedings!
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 19:37   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Dawn - yours is an exceptional case and one that everyone who knows you or of you would understand/appreciate.

I would guess that such circumstances probably account for no more than a few percent of "reluctant" car sale offers, not the 30+ percent described as such.

Surely, you did it willingly rather than reluctantly?

in the majority of cases the "sale offers" are probably nothing more than the result of decisions based on financial or other considerations and the "reluctance" bit is just dressing that up to make the car appear in some way more attractive. Which I don't think works and may in fact be counterproductive.

"I am offering for sale my likely money pit as I do not wish to end up in that situation and would prefer to pass the problem onto someone else" would be more accurate in some cases.

PS - I am also never convinced by "open to offers, but I don't need to sell the car so will not be giving it away". In which case, why offer it al all?
example, asking price £2,000. Don't make an offer of £500 as I don't need to sell

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 20:42   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Mine does not come under reluctant sale, more like a necessary sale. My much loved and cherished Daimler V8 250 Saloon. Petrol prices were going through the roof in the 70s, and this was a much travelled vehicle. I had not long rebuilt an engine and put in it. 20,000 miles later, I found it was emptying my wage packet quicker than I could put money in, so ,head over heart, it had to be passed on. A comforting fact was the young man who bought it was very enthusiastic about giving it some loving tender care.
Old 15th August 2019, 22:38   #18
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I am reluctantly selling my ZT as I’ve lost my job and can’t afford to run two cars.

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 09:38   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Reluctantly let mine go as I felt i just physically couldn't maintain it to a good standard , my days of rolling around under cars are coming to an end .
I was in that position after having cruciate ligament damage. I sold the manual, bought an auto and the knee is improving enough for me to get on my knees and either, occasionally do some of the work, or pray for divine intervention!
Old 17th August 2019, 15:29   #20
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Well my Contemporary was a reluctant sale - cracking car, but I had to let it go to be able to take on my brother's ZT. I knew I wanted to spend serious money on that and couldn't look after both that way on my wages. Money or lack of is probably most cases. Or ill health?

How is it coming along Dawn ?

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote