Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th September 2010, 05:54   #11
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Wondering how things have gone for our members in NZ. Would be good to here from you all. Hope all are well and unscathed
Hi everyone. Well, we're still alive but a bit worse for wear. The city has taken a hammering, with widespread destruction of commercial buildings and homes. Both of my properties have had damage. My own home has a very dodgy looking chimney, which is a worry as it's 40 feet high! However, overall we came off better than many. Some parts of the city had little damage, and others major - just the luck of the draw. The main shake was 7.1 on the Richter scale - a damn big quake. It's the biggest in NZ history. The geologists tell us that it's from a previously unknown fault, which has been dormant for 16,000 years! Just my luck. We are having several shakes a day, some as high as 5.4 on the scale - decent quakes in their own right.
I've just said goodbye to some scaffolders who have set up gear to get up to the chimney. We're very lucky that it's still standing. If all goes well and nature obliges we'll still have a chimney when the brickie is due tomorrow.
One day I'll put some pictures up. Thanks to you all for your good wishes. We've had calls from all over the world checking up on us. It's nice to know that people are thinking of us.

Cheers!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 05:57   #12
Roger1
Loves to post

Hi Graham,

Haven't heard from you for a while. How's things?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 8th September 2010, 11:52   #13
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

I suppose a lot of the -old town- buildings took a hammering. Pity I didn´t get to see it before the wreckers moving in Hope they can straighten out your chimney
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 03:38   #14
Roger1
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
I suppose a lot of the -old town- buildings took a hammering. Pity I didn´t get to see it before the wreckers moving in Hope they can straighten out your chimney
Yes, the heritage of the city has taken a hammering. Happily most of the Gothic revival buildings have survived, but several larger brick/concrete buildings from the 19th and early 20th century have already gone. It's true that developers etc see the chance to get rid of the 'old junk' with no thought of the damage they do to the fabric of the city. There's a mayoral forum tonight that I'm going to, at which this issue is to be addressed. There is no shortage of support for the preservation of the heritage of the city, so that's good news. The other bad thing is that I haven't had time to wash the Rover's! Don't like that......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14th September 2010, 06:06   #15
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1 View Post
Hi Graham,

Haven't heard from you for a while. How's things?
Hi Roger. Glad to hear you are all OK, and of almost equal importance, that the rovers are undamaged

Alls well up this way. I wonder if the quake got confused and went to the wrong city?

I do hope any damage you have is repaired quickly and life returns to some resemblance of normality as soon as possible.