Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th October 2018, 17:56   #1
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

Default Time to name and shame a none payer

hi please take this as a warning there are people on this forum who will rip you off .

here is my story of me being ripped off .

it all started on 3/7/2018 i got a text message for help, i did know this guy but not well had met him a few times , he had a problem with his zt , the engine had suddenly stopped , so within an hour of the text i was with the car and diagnosed the fault as a broken cam belt to his surprise, he told me the belts had been done within the last 6 months .

i arranged recovery of the car and payed for this and the car was with me on 11/7/18 .

removed engine and stripped it down to find a broken cam shaft ,

talked to customer and we went down the route of replacing the engine ,
i fitted new cambelt and clutch and supplied a good engine out of a car i have owned for 12 years (my red 190 ztt) ,

the car also require a remap to take the engine upgrade so after talking to my customer i got big russ in he worked his t4 magic and all was good .

the customer collected the car on the 13/7/ 18 he payed me £250 and told me he would pay me the rest on the next monday then the first bomb shell russ had not been payed for the t 4 work ,so i payed him . now left with an under payment of £350 .

now the fun starts had no contact for 2 weeks and no payment so i started to send text messages but no reply for a week. then an offer of payment if i sorted out a few small problems (water leak and pas pump noise) car was booked back in on 27/718 but no show .
more text messages and all i got was excuses ,

been in hospital.
phone not charged up.
i turn my phone off at weekends
i have lost my job,
and the list continues .
then contact and a payment plan was set up for £50 per week got 2 payments and have now had nothing for a month .

as i pass his house every day i saw the car there so did not worry, then his phone went dead and after being away last week when i passed his house this morning i got a shock it is empty and there is a for sale sign up .

i suspect i will now never get payed '

DO NOT DEAL WITH TRUEIRON
HE WAS LIVING IN DONCASTER

the reg no of his Car is BL02 EOH

IF YOU SEE THIS CAR PLEASE LET ME KNOW

not happy
andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:14   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
hi please take this as a warning there are people on this forum who will rip you off .

here is my story of me being ripped off .

it all started on 3/7/2018 i got a text message for help, i did know this guy but not well had met him a few times , he had a problem with his zt , the engine had suddenly stopped , so within an hour of the text i was with the car and diagnosed the fault as a broken cam belt to his surprise, he told me the belts had been done within the last 6 months .

i arranged recovery of the car and payed for this and the car was with me on 11/7/18 .

removed engine and stripped it down to find a broken cam shaft ,

talked to customer and we went down the route of replacing the engine ,
i fitted new cambelt and clutch and supplied a good engine out of a car i have owned for 12 years (my red 190 ztt) ,

the car also require a remap to take the engine upgrade so after talking to my customer i got big russ in he worked his t4 magic and all was good .

the customer collected the car on the 13/7/ 18 he payed me £250 and told me he would pay me the rest on the next monday then the first bomb shell russ had not been payed for the t 4 work ,so i payed him . now left with an under payment of £350 .

now the fun starts had no contact for 2 weeks and no payment so i started to send text messages but no reply for a week. then an offer of payment if i sorted out a few small problems (water leak and pas pump noise) car was booked back in on 27/718 but no show .
more text messages and all i got was excuses ,

been in hospital.
phone not charged up.
i turn my phone off at weekends
i have lost my job,
and the list continues .
then contact and a payment plan was set up for £50 per week got 2 payments and have now had nothing for a month .

as i pass his house every day i saw the car there so did not worry, then his phone went dead and after being away last week when i passed his house this morning i got a shock it is empty and there is a for sale sign up .

i suspect i will now never get payed '

DO NOT DEAL WITH TRUEIRON
HE WAS LIVING IN DONCASTER

the reg no of his Car is BL02 EOH

IF YOU SEE THIS CAR PLEASE LET ME KNOW

not happy
andy
Hi Andi.
I would not blame you if you never wanted to do any more work for us on here, as far I am concerned you are as honest as the day is long, I have used you twice and you have never ripped me off, and wouldn’t, expect you also too be ripped.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:16   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

I sympathise Andy.

Just to avoid this happening again, have you heard of a legal principle called Repairer's Lien? You can invoke this at the time that the customer arrives to collect the repaired car.

Simon
Old 13th October 2018, 18:28   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I sympathise too, maybe it's time to ask for 'cash on collection'. May be difficult to enforce that but may be the way to go.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:29   #5
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

As a trader Do you not have insurance to cover these eventualities .Take him to court .Its worth the effort just to teach him a lesson .If his house is up for sale .He is either an owner or a tenant .Either way a County Court judgement against his name will do him much more harm than he could possibly imagine.
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:31   #6
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

What a lowlife trick. It's diabolical how that guy has behaved.

Thanks for warning us all. I'm seething how all your hard work and effort has been so callously treated.

I'm so glad we have members like yourself who do so much for others.

BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:45   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
... maybe it's time to ask for 'cash on collection'. May be difficult to enforce that ...
It's very easy Heddy because that's what 'Repairer's Lien' is all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Take him to court.
The evidence suggests that that would be a waste of Andy's time and money. If his phone is cut off and his house for sale with vacant posession, he won't be able to pay any award made by a Court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
What a lowlife trick. It's diabolical how that guy has behaved.
Again, Andy's story suggests that the customer may well have been truthful when he said that he'd lost his job. Therefore events conspired to make it impossible for him to pay his bills. I don't think it was a deliberate trick at all. Being in debt is a horrible situation which destroys your self respect.

Simon
Old 13th October 2018, 18:46   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

That's not right at all

I remembered seeing a post thanking you and Russ about this. Just found it HERE.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 18:54   #9
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It's very easy Heddy because that's what 'Repairer's Lien' is all about.

The evidence suggests that that would be a waste of Andy's time and money. If his phone is cut off and his house for sale with vacant posession, he won't be able to pay any award made by a Court.

Again, Andy's story suggests that the customer may well have been truthful when he said that he'd lost his job. Therefore events conspired to make it impossible for him to pay his bills. I don't think it was a deliberate trick at all. Being in debt is a horrible situation which destroys your self respect.

Simon
I'm sure if he had contacted Andy and explained hos situation in full then Andy would have accepted a very small regular payment .Ignoring the situation just makes things worse .Even if he couldn't pay he could have at least had the decency to inform Andy .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 19:01   #10
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Submitting a V888 to the DVLA should give you the address of where the car's now registered at, assuming the owner's complied with the law.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote