Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2014, 19:56   #11
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post
OK, so here's an update.

After testing with dry newspaper and then looking for where it gets wet, it does seem that the water leak (well most of it anyway) is coming from the holes where the trim is fixed on.

I took the trim off and put it back on again with the holes/clips siliconed.

A couple more problems arose from doing this.

There are two types of fixing clips on this bit of trim:

- the two nearest the back of the car have a screw poking through the hole into the boot, with a washer and a nut to keep it in place

- the remainder (about 4, I think) push into the holes in the body panel with a 'click', because you can't actually get at them from the inside of the car

So the 2 problems were:

1. the 'click'-type clips went back in ok, but the one nearest the front had lost its 'clickyness' due to fatigue of the plastic barb bit that pops through the hole. The end of the trim at that point needs to be held into the curve of the car, but due to the fatigued clip it is tending to pop out at a tangent to the curve of the car

2. The rear-most screw-type fixing had come adrift from the trim. It looked as if it had been glued back in place at some time in the past, but unsuccessfully, and also the plastic was bent and pretty weak, which was the root cause of the trim not being seated to the car properly (see my original picture).

I tried to glue it back again, but when I applied it to the car and screwed up the nut from the inside to pull the trim to the bend of the car, the glue did not hold, and so the rearmost bit of the trim is still not flat to the curve of the car but sticks out at a tangent to the curve.

Anyway I have stuck it all back temporarily with silicone in all the holes, so at least I will see if that has cured the leak, but as far as seating the trim properly to the curve of the car, I am back where I started.

I see on Rimmers that the 'clicky' clips are available DYC101440, but the screwey type ones are not (you can only get the washers DYF100830 and nuts DYH10042L).

Does that mean that the screwey type fixings only come with a complete bit of trim ?

What type of glue did you use?
Same happened me a year ago.
I superglued the rear two plastic fixings (with studs )to the trim, applied some silicone to where the stud goes thru the body, and then screwed up the nut from the inside.
From memory (which isn't good), the two plastic fixings are tapered, ie wider at the front of the trim, so are 'directional'.
Also, a triangular piece of rubber / plastic fits inside at the very end of the trim. Not sure how this is meant to be bonded to the trim, but mine had popped out, so I superglued it to the trim as well, and then to the body of the car at that point also.
Seems to have worked for me.
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 11:13   #12
DomT101

MG Zt 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post
Anyway I have stuck it all back temporarily with silicone in all the holes, so at least I will see if that has cured the leak, but as far as seating the trim properly to the curve of the car, I am back where I started.

I see on Rimmers that the 'clicky' clips are available DYC101440, but the screwey type ones are not (you can only get the washers DYF100830 and nuts DYH10042L).

Does that mean that the screwey type fixings only come with a complete bit of trim ?
I've just found a potential reason to my water leak into the boot. The LH coach trim is missing one set of nut, washer and screw fixings to the rear of the coach trim (they've used the incorrect clicky DYC101440 and you can see sunlight through it!).

Does anyone have the 3 parts i need:
1x DYH10042 nut, can get this through eBay/Rimmers no problem
1x DYF100830 sealing washer, cannot find listed anywhere
1x screw type fixing which attaches to the coach trim, can't even find a part number for this
DomT101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 13:31   #13
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

The screw fixings are part of the coach trim, you have to buy the trim to get the screws, be aware that they are handed, my n/s rear now has an extra hole in the trim channel
Bought a second hand trim,painted and clear coated it sorsed new clips from dmgrs removed old trim to find out the screw fixing 5/6 inch in didn't line up and ended up drilling and slotting the car for it to fit
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote