Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2011, 20:33   #1
justmicky
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

Default Koi Fish pond

Has anyone on here built their own fish pond? I have just started mine but I could always use some advice.
I have a very small fish pond at present 200 gallons but I have got the bug and embarked upon building a 2200 gallon one, approx 5.5m x 1.8m x 1.04m deep.
At the moment I have just dug out the footings to a depth of 12". I plan to go to a depth of 24" to lay a concrete footing 12" deep x 18" wide but I was absolutely goosed after just this amount! Old age!
I am going to use 18" x 9" x 5.5" concrete blocks laid on their side for the wall, a 4" bottom drain to the external filter and so on.
Any pointers or advice from anyone with experience, or anyone in the builders trade would be greatly appreciated particularly with regard to footings, wall strength etc, backfilling tips.
justmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:51   #2
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmicky View Post
Has anyone on here built their own fish pond? I have just started mine but I could always use some advice.
I have a very small fish pond at present 200 gallons but I have got the bug and embarked upon building a 2200 gallon one, approx 5.5m x 1.8m x 1.04m deep.
At the moment I have just dug out the footings to a depth of 12". I plan to go to a depth of 24" to lay a concrete footing 12" deep x 18" wide but I was absolutely goosed after just this amount! Old age!
I am going to use 18" x 9" x 5.5" concrete blocks laid on their side for the wall, a 4" bottom drain to the external filter and so on.
Any pointers or advice from anyone with experience, or anyone in the builders trade would be greatly appreciated particularly with regard to footings, wall strength etc, backfilling tips.
Hiya. I helped my dad last year to construct a pond, not as big as the one you have in mind... 3x3 mtr.... He toyed with the idea of concrete, but in the end decided on a liner...Cost about £40... They do them in all sizes though and they have a 25 year gaurantee... It really seems to be indestructable stuff.... It needs to be at least 24" deep to over winter the fish.... Some pics.

Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:14   #3
DoDo
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

If you are keeping Koi you really need a greater depth.
A very good pump and filtration system.
Not cheap to build or maintain, but breeding the fish can bring rewards of hundreds of pounds for the right size and type.
Keep vegetation to a minimum if at all as Koi will eat it and stir up any muck on bottom of pond from planters etc.

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece

Last edited by DoDo; 24th February 2011 at 21:19..
DoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 21:23   #4
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDo View Post
Not cheap to build or maintain, but breeding the fish can bring rewards of hundreds of pounds for the right size and type.
Yes, you are right, i think 1 mtr is about right for Koi... We just decided on large Goldfish, shibumpkins etc... Although we do have some common and mirror carp too.... All over wintered this year and it was very bad...We have a large pump, about 1000 gallons an hour i think...That goes through a box filter system with a uv light. Poppy. The pump runs that and a large waterfall. Poppy
Old 24th February 2011, 21:23   #5
justmicky

Nice one .
I am building my walls from the concrete blocks, but like your dad, I am using a rubber lining. I have been quoted £210 for the lining .
The blocks have cost me £420, I'm going to get ready mix for the footings £200, filter £400, pump £255, bottom drain and piping £50, Skimmer £30, UV light £?, building sand/cement......skip hire to dump the 5 million tons of soil ........it all adds up.......you can see why I would be grateful for advice.....don't want a white elephant on my hands!
Old 24th February 2011, 21:26   #6
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Nice one .
I am building my walls from the concrete blocks, but like your dad, I am using a rubber lining. I have been quoted £210 for the lining .
The blocks have cost me £420, I'm going to get ready mix for the footings £200, filter £400, pump £255, bottom drain and piping £50, Skimmer £30, UV light £?, building sand/cement......skip hire to dump the 5 million tons of soil ........it all adds up.......you can see why I would be grateful for advice.....don't want a white elephant on my hands!
GOD... How much... lol. That is a moat not a pond.... Poppy
Old 24th February 2011, 21:30   #7
justmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDo View Post
Keep vegetation to a minimum if at all as Koi will eat it and stir up any muck on bottom of pond from planters etc.

Yes, I believe the depth I have is erring on the minimum side - I have read 5- 6 feet is about right. I am hoping that with a metre depth I can keep some decent sized fish. I have looked into the filtering/pumping side of things and I am not cutting any corners there. I am hoping the built in bottom drain will keep things pretty clean, in conjunction with an eazypod fileter unit, gravity fed and pump return.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:34   #8
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Yes, I believe the depth I have is erring on the minimum side - I have read 5- 6 feet is about right. I am hoping that with a metre depth I can keep some decent sized fish. I have looked into the filtering/pumping side of things and I am not cutting any corners there. I am hoping the built in bottom drain will keep things pretty clean, in conjunction with an eazypod fileter unit, gravity fed and pump return.
5-6 FT... God, now it's a swimming pool....lmso. You must have some large garden.... and bank balance. . Poppy
Old 24th February 2011, 21:34   #9
justmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
GOD... How much... lol. That is a moat not a pond.... Poppy

If you read up on the net, or look at some of the ones on You tube videos its not that much - its frightening! i went in my local Koi shop last week looking at filter systems and he showed me this all singing and dancing Nexus model.....only just over a £1000......I nearly fainted
Old 24th February 2011, 21:36   #10
justmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
5-6 FT... God, now it's a swimming pool....lmso. You must have some large garden.... and bank balance. . Poppy

Neither I am afraid......but can squeeze in the pond......!