Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2024, 09:22   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default TalkTalk scam

Just thought this may be of use. I had a phone call from a scammer a couple of days ago. He started off by saying he was from TalkTalk . He told me that my router will stop working in a couple of days, and ‘we are sending you a new router within the next 24 hours’. Yea ok. I asked him what the code word was when TalkTalk get in touch with me, and guess what....... he did not know what I was on about. I told me to #@£% *#& and go and multiply. He put the phone down. I was only saying the other week that I have not had a scam call for a while, well I have. I reckon this call originates from when TalkTalk had a lot of their info stolen in a cyber attack a few years ago. So be aware it might be starting up again. And by the way, I will let you know when the new router arrives. Don’t hold your breath.
Old 13th February 2024, 09:39   #2
DJO
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira

Do watch out for TalkTalk, there was a data breach a few years ago that caught out a former colleague of mine. The scammer had enough personal information to trick her out of a couple of thousand pounds.

Something to watch out for if you have been a TalkTalk customer for a few years.

Last edited by DJO; 13th February 2024 at 13:27.. Reason: Couple of typos
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 13:09   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I too had a call but from "Royal Bank of Scotland" gave them short shift and told them to scam off.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2024, 07:51   #4
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Default Scam

I found this chuckle-worthy.

I had a landline call, allegedly from HSBC, telling me about suspicious activity on my account and from someone with a non-native English accent. As it came in a week of scam calls, I very pointedly told him in Saxon English where to go, and hung up. Within minutes I had a text to my mobile, giving the same story.
Being a bit more concerned, I checked the bank fraud number and after ensuring that the line was clear, phoned the bank.
It had been a genuine call with a genuine concern and I was left red faced apologising profusely.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2024, 10:12   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Stephen. During covid, my wife had a call from the bank where we banked, asking if she was ok and if she needed any help in any way.She very politely said that everything was ok, and thank you. Like me, she is very guarded when ‘surprised ‘ calls come in. We were going down the bank the next day, and went into the bank and asked if they had phoned us yesterday. The gent she was dealing with said yes, it was him. He said they had been asked by head office to phone all their customers over a certain ‘dotage’ To see if they needed any help like shopping to be done. Nice to think someone cared really.