Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th September 2014, 09:35   #1
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Default MGR Highline and Intravee II Latest Firmware with Extras

MGR Highline and Intravee II Latest Firmware with Extras

I thought I would start a dedicated thread for the excellent Intravee II unit which focuses on the functions over and above that of playing music via your iPod.

The Intravee II is only compatible with our R75 and ZT models with the highline system installed.

First can I thank both Reebs and RichardP for there support allowing links to their relevant posts and help in this item.

Bear in mind I am not an IT techie and so this is just my experience with the Intravee II and how it works with my MG ZT of which I have retro installed the Highline system. But also goes to show you don't need to be an IT whiz to be able to use this unit.

Please note pictures I have added are of BMW 19:6 widescreen unit but should be the same on a standard MGR 4:3 screen

What is it:

The Intravee unit was developed to enable the integration of an Apple iPod into the BMW audio system which had radio, cassette and CD modes in tandem with satnav and analog TV. The highline system installed in either the Rover 75 or MG ZT range is based on this system as installed in BMW 3 series cars. There is plenty of history on the intravee if you google so I won't spend ages going through detail here. The units can be procured through a company called Toys in Your Car (TIYC), from whom I purchased one of their recent batch with latest firmware, link below. Also on the TIYC site are links to the support which is provided by a very proactive member RichardP on the BMW5 Forum, (who has kindly given permission for extracts of the manual below) link again below. There is plenty of information and details on download support and updates as they become available.

TIYC Purchase:
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

TIYC Support:
http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalo...downloads.html

BMW5 Forum Support Forum:
http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/forum/117-intravee/

BMW5 Forum Technical Support, including latest firmware, user guide, supported products list and extras.
http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/75485-...-for-download/

How do I make it work in my MGR:

The basic requirements are an Intravee as above and also an Alpine KCA 420i unit, the KCA unit was a standard product from Alpine for integrating an iPod via their own AI-Net communications system into a standard Alpine head unit. The Intravee box in turn converts the Al-net signal into compatible digital format the Highline system understands via the CD connection. Using the above items we can now not only listen to music, but also control music, skip tracks via steering wheel control and search playlists from the bordmonitor controls.

Reebs did an excellent 'how to' on integrating the Intravee into the Highline system, please find link below with kind permission from Reebs:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=34377

So how do we integrate the iPod:

First things first, you will lose the use of your CD changer, not a big deal if yours has failed but also if your looking to use your iPod then you want more than what a cd changer can provide.

The sequence of connection is, iPod, Alpine KCA 420, Intravee II then Highline. The connection of all items until you get to the CD Changer plug are all straight forward using cables provided. As the intravee was really developed for BMW cars it utilises their twin plug, 1 is three pin (power & K-Bus) the other six pin (audio channels), connections for CD rather than our (MGR) single ten pin plug. Some time ago there was an adapter available to go from one to another, as per Reebs 'how to' but these have long since been unavailable. This isn't the end of the world and can be overcome with no soldering involved, just requires getting hold of the requisite plugs from a breakers or from our favourite online auction site.

Details on the cable/pin swap are below:

Now for the fun stuff:

So your now all set to start, all plugged in, let's go, I read up on these a lot when I started out and in Reebs thread it mentions setting User Interface etc, well with the latest firmware this is all done automatically and should select UI5 for our cars as they are very similar to the BMW E46 model, better known as 3 Series. If yours has older firmware version you may still have to select manually via PC etc or just update firmware to the latest.

Please read post #31 from RichardP which provides latest Firmware V6.02-7101 and how to resolve the issue Reebs experienced in post #30.

Music:

The intravee will now allow you to play your music and search your playlists on your Apple device be it iPod, iPhone or iPad, again Reebs write up covers this so won't go into detail, personally I just select random and just play what comes on, as the music on my ipod is there for good reason lol.

Here is a link to a YouTube video by RichardP demonstrating music search:
http://youtu.be/d2tUWbPcPdQ

To use the later apple devices using 'Lightening' connectors you will require an adapter from Apple. Very expensive but I can now confirm it works as with older 30 pin units. Do not buy the cheap Chinese ones on eBay as they will not give you audio:

Apple 30 pin to Lightening adapter. Highly recommend this one so you don't end up with a block of connectors into your iPod/iPhone:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...1718833e5640f0

Or this one, but could end up ugly heavy block if used in conjunction with Charger adapter below

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...0d75ff3eaa4ce0

Only other thing you may require as the original ipod's were 12V charging, is an adapter to enable 5V charging of later Apple devices.

iPod / iPhone 5V Charging Adapter:

So that's the music out of the way, what else does it do?

Extras:

This is where the Intravee become much more than being able to play and control music in your car. Via the K-Bus system it interrogates the data flying about between the various inboard ECU's and components and converts that data into useable information we can view on our screen. Not only that but it can interact with the 'system' and perform commands and respond to the data providing the functionality listed below. (Just know I'm going to get shot down by the techies for my terminology, but we're keeping it simple here lol).

The Extras menu has evolved quite a lot as new things have been added, but it was first put in for the early V6.02 builds. Therefore you will need V6.02 or above to gain access to the Extras. I recommendation would be to update to the latest Firmware as per the above links to ensure you can use the items below.

To gain access to the 'Extras' you will need to 'accept' the disclaimer, once this is done your free to roam and select what options are available. To gain the best from the Extras you will need select what car model you are using the Intravee in, for our cars the consensus is:

'E46 Type 1'. When you have selected vehicle type it will be marked with an asterisk *

Calm yourself as you read through the options list within the Extras, again, as this was development for BMW vehicles some of the functions do not work on our cars. But it's not all bad news as there is some cool stuff that can be of real benefit.

If your using the 'user guide' you will need Section 3. Multi Line UI

Really useful additions are:

On screen vehicle status,
includes speed, max speed, rpm, max rpm, acceleration G, deceleration G, Engine temperature (key one on our cars, let's us see what real temp is), outside temp. These can be configure for metric or imperial readings. Please note there is a section for fuel reserve, this seems to remain at '38' on our cars and is not a compatible function.

Service information,
provides an overview of the vehicle and service record incl:

Vehicle Network Type, firmware change will show 'MG/Rover'
Fuel Type
Fuel Used
Bi-Annual Check Due Date
Previous Service type
Oil Changes
Inspections

PDC sensor indication,
shows all four sensors and the distances to an obstruction, can be set to come on automatically when selecting reverse. These can be configure for metric or imperial readings.

As you can see there is an obstruction being picked up on rear left hand side two sensors.

Reverse music volume mute or reduction,
you can select the amount of sound reduction when selecting reverse from none upwards.

Blink rate indicators,
adjustable from None to 2-11 flashes for just short blip of indicator stork as current cars. Very useful on motorway. As you can see I have set mine to 4 flashes.

Journal,
this captures data from your journey and stores it, so if someone borrows or uses your pride and joy, you can see if they have taken care of it! Unfortunately doesn't give time and date as clock unit not on our system. I have procured a Clock Unit from Duncan on the other side and this may provide sufficient data to the IV to give time and date information on Journal only, not bottom of screen without MK4 Nav. I will feedback when I have tried it.

Day Light Running, DLRs,
you can configure the lighting to be on with ignition, either dip, side, main or fogs. Now works in key position 2 as it should:

Flash to pass,
again you can select options for other lights to come one when you pull the flash, I used fogs in addition.

Over Rev

If the engine speed exceeds various set points while the engine is still warming up a warning 'Bong' and scrolling text alarm (in header field '0' when ignition on)

Over heat,
A very useful and key one on our cars, as this provides a warning 'Bong' and scrolling text alarm (in header field '0' when ignition on) when coolant temperature passes a preset value.

The coolant temperature is monitored and a warning given if it exceeds the specified value. A value of between 80°C and 120°C can be set.

Boot & Bonnet open Warning
Provides a warning 'Bong' alarm and scrolling text in header field '0' when ignition on when the boot or bonnet are open

Map Zoom Menu
The Intravee can set the Nav Map to zoom in and out as the speed of your vehicle changes. The map will be zoomed in at low speeds and out at higher speeds. The rate of zoom and available scales can be configured. On mine 50 mph = 900yds and comes down to 125yds at full stop

This can be adjusted to different zoom levels for different speeds.

Picture xxxxxxxxxxxx

Also option to mute audio on satnav instructions too.

Picture xxxxxxxxxxxx

BT Pairing,

Geoff130 (post #6) confirms this option works but will require modified BM54 radio amplifier to function.

Personalise Main Screen Display
you can change what is displayed in the Headers on the display, changes can be made to both the Long and Short fields. As you can see below I have selected the engine temperature to be displayed in the Long header at top right hand side of the screen.

Options not available on our cars, well not for me anyway are:

Mirror Folding
Auto locks
Clock
Auto Close.
Auto Recirc.

Further enhancements:

The Intravee II can be further expanded to provide integration of further Apple products i.e. Additional iPod or iPhone or Alpine Al-Net compatible products like CD changers and DAB radio with the use of an Intravee Switch.

Allows connection of up to three AiNET devices or three Aux inputs or any combination of AiNET and Aux inputs up to a total of three.
Works in a similar way to the Alpine KCA-410c or KCA-400c (AND it is compatible with most Alpine head units).
Allows all connected iPods (via KCA-420i) to charge their batteries, regardless of whether they are the currently selected playing source or not.

Intravee Switch:

This is by no means a definitive manual of the Intravee, but an over view which could save you wasting time trying to get some options to work etc.

This item isn't complete and is a 'work in progress' and I'm sure other members will have input too.

I will add pictures as I get chance to include them, also I will add menu paths as I work them out too. Hope this helps and is of use to someone interested in Intravee II and options available.

If there is anything I have missed or you would like some help post away.

Remember to disconnect your battery before commencing any wiring changes to your car, please follow the below procedure to ensure safe shut down of your nav computer:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...1125#post81125

MGR specific Firmware updates:

I currently have a build update Firmware (V6.02-7101) which includes for the following:
  1. MGR identifier for Service information
  2. Screen messages for Over Heat, Over Rev, Bonnet and Boot open.
  3. DRL's work with ignition position 2 instead of 1

The above has been now included with Firmware V6.02-7101 which is attached to post #31 from RichardP.

Z

Last edited by Mr_Shed; 21st September 2014 at 22:31.. Reason: Updated with latest Firmware V6.02-7101
Mr_Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 10:27   #2
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Ok some good news, RichardP is going to look into an on screen warning message (Bordmonitor) for the Over Heat and the Over Rev functions to support the 'Bong' alarm
Old 14th September 2014, 10:33   #3
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

This is all exciting stuff. I love the seamless operation of it all.
The one issue with the Intravee is the cost of it all when you acquire the various components.
As you know I have recently upgraded my Highline to the 16:9 BMW widescreen with Mk3 drive running the latest firmware and I have also just added the BM54 radio amp.

I'll speak more about that in a dedicated thread as I bought one from the guy on ebay with some modifications
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 11:21   #4
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
This is all exciting stuff. I love the seamless operation of it all.
The one issue with the Intravee is the cost of it all when you acquire the various components.
As you know I have recently upgraded my Highline to the 16:9 BMW widescreen with Mk3 drive running the latest firmware and I have also just added the BM54 radio amp.

I'll speak more about that in a dedicated thread as I bought one from the guy on ebay with some modifications
I have been reading up for ages about it but with other things going on and the waiting for the manufacture to TIYC it's seems long time coming.

But well worth the wait, it's great being able play music from iPod to Highline as per Reebs thread but the new 'Extras' take the IV to another level. It is expensive but when you weigh up what you get it's worth it, is was going to get scan gauge for engine temp etc but this does all that.

I have BM24 which is vast improvement, I will have look at your BM54 thread as interested in difference.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:23   #5
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Just to keep people informed I now have a firmware update from RichardP to trial which will include an on screen message for the over heat, over rev, boot and bonnet open warnings.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:30   #6
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

Thanks for the pointer to the ipod charger. The BT pairing works ok but you need a flat pin BM54 to work with the ULF though, the round pin BM54 Back doesn't have the phone audio input. I know because my iphone links great and happily makes and receives calls but I'm generally unaware of it and people end up talking to the car until they get bored. I'm looking at swapping the back pcb from water damaged BM54 on to my BM54 Back, it seems to have been done on the BMW forums but is a tricky job.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 19:39   #7
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Hi Geoff, that was the idea to spread information regarding this great bit of kit which I think is over looked in most part by MGR owners. Are you running the latest firmware with the Extras package out of interest?

Good news on the BT, just to confirm that just gives you BT for calls not for audio streaming is that right?

Is the BM54 much different from the bM24 unit? Good luck with your pub swap
Old 16th September 2014, 20:05   #8
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I have just been to get the latest firmware, as I'm not sure if it's changed since I bought mine early this year. It has the extra's and I have DRL's enabled. I also had speed sensitive door locking enabled by Duncan last year to keep the grandkids safe but I'd love the unlock on key removal to work from the extra's menu. I don't think powerfolds will though, I've been looking at the diagrams and the mirror/window switch has a serial link to the BCU for the windows but it's not directly connected to the k-bus.

Yes the BT only works for the phone not streaming music although I believe the BM54 can be upgraded to do that. There's a guy called Barris on the BMW forums and ebay that does upgrades and repairs on them.

I think the BM54 has twin tuners where the BM24 has only one, it can receive info on other stations while you are listening to another and gets the TMC info for the sat nav, does your BM24 do that? If I have route guidance selected then traffic hold ups get shown on my map.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 20:57   #9
Mr_Shed
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff130 View Post
I have just been to get the latest firmware, as I'm not sure if it's changed since I bought mine early this year. It has the extra's and I have DRL's enabled. I also had speed sensitive door locking enabled by Duncan last year to keep the grandkids safe but I'd love the unlock on key removal to work from the extra's menu. I don't think powerfolds will though, I've been looking at the diagrams and the mirror/window switch has a serial link to the BCU for the windows but it's not directly connected to the k-bus.

Yes the BT only works for the phone not streaming music although I believe the BM54 can be upgraded to do that. There's a guy called Barris on the BMW forums and ebay that does upgrades and repairs on them.

I think the BM54 has twin tuners where the BM24 has only one, it can receive info on other stations while you are listening to another and gets the TMC info for the sat nav, does your BM24 do that? If I have route guidance selected then traffic hold ups get shown on my map.

Then I doubt much has changed in that time, I think bee a number of enhancements but for BMW derivatives.

Be aware with DRL's as they are on even in key position 1, actually I will mention it to RichardP and see if can be changed to only position 2.

Is the speed locking a T4 option?

I think that is the issue with mirrors as they do not have a k-bus circuit.

Yeah the BM24 has twin tuners as below

I think the BM54 is better output and also phone input and works with MK4 nav better I understand.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:11   #10
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff130 View Post
...Yes the BT only works for the phone not streaming music although I believe the BM54 can be upgraded to do that. There's a guy called Barris on the BMW forums and ebay that does upgrades and repairs on them.

I bought a BM54 from navtvman on ebay, it has the uprated chips and he added Bluetooth for me, this is to stream music and not for handsfree calling as there is no integration for the microphone unlike in the BMWs.
Both the BM24 and BM54 have dual tuners so TMC function is full time on both of these.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote