Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd July 2017, 16:06   #11
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

What all this about spraying ? In the RAF I 'helped ' to paint the red and white squares on our radar caravan. Pour the paint out of the tin onto the roof and spread it about with a 'yard brush ' .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:57   #12
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
As a teenager I taught myself to spray and working in the open I built and sprayed a number of custom cars that were featured in mags and won prizes at shows.

Working in the open meant that the biggest problem was flies. But I found that once the paint had dried they could be polished out...or sprayed over

That looks like a great finish. Some work in that car I'll bet !
Biggest issue Ive got at the moment is the cold as it's winter here and I'm working in an open garage so can't really heat it up.
On the positive, no bugs or dust ATM in the finish.
Paint is still curing at 16c but takes a while longer
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 09:54   #13
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Had another crack at it today, another disaster !
colour coat perfect, clearcoat came out like glass BUT had a small run on the top of the bonnet so thought I'd thin the clear by spraying some thinners on it and blow the run out!!Big mistake, the paint on that area started crazing.
I now have an area about the size of a loaf of bread with crazed paint and runs!!
I will need to leave the 2 pack a number days before it can be sanded but I will persist !!
I'll get it right eventually!!!
Old 4th July 2017, 14:09   #14
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
As a teenager I taught myself to spray and working in the open I built and sprayed a number of custom cars that were featured in mags and won prizes at shows.

Working in the open meant that the biggest problem was flies. But I found that once the paint had dried they could be polished out...or sprayed over

Ah, proper custom cars. Closest l got was burgundy fur on the door panels of my 105E with a slip-over 1600E-style dash covered in yellow velour.
Hideous!

Then l bought my first P6.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 10:22   #15
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Got back into it today, cut back all the crazed paint area, re primed the affected area and it was still a battle to get the primer to not craze around the sanded area.
Finally figured out that as it was pretty cold today the primer was not hardening as quick as it should and was reacting with the other substrates under the paint, got a heat gun, spayed light coats , dried it with the heat gun, did another coat , dried it again etc . It worked .
Laid down a couple of coats of colour and blended the colour and will let it sit for a day or so before I attempt to lay down any. clearcoat.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:03   #16
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Got back into it today, cut back all the crazed paint area, re primed the affected area and it was still a battle to get the primer to not craze around the sanded area.
Finally figured out that as it was pretty cold today the primer was not hardening as quick as it should and was reacting with the other substrates under the paint, got a heat gun, spayed light coats , dried it with the heat gun, did another coat , dried it again etc . It worked .
Laid down a couple of coats of colour and blended the colour and will let it sit for a day or so before I attempt to lay down any. clearcoat.
Congratulations on your perseverance.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 14:53   #17
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I guess its just a learning curve.
I figure I'm using this 75 doer upper as a project to learn a few things such as painting and being a diesel it's all new to me as I've got a few kv6 versions .
Old 5th July 2017, 21:00   #18
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

I restored a jag a few years ago now and sprayed the entire car.. I did all the external In one hit to keep the paint shade correct across the whole car. I finished the spraying cleaned the gun and walk out the garage to leave the body to dry for 24 hours.. Back in the garage all looked stunning. Waited for a.few days and then cut back and polished. The cars body looked superb After stripping out the tarpaulin tent I used to put around my cars when spraying to keep the dust off v carefully I opened the garage door with glee at my workmanship. The door flipped up caught my sons bike hanging on a bike rack and knocked the bike off the rack and you can guess the rest. . Huge scrape and dent in the rear door and quarter panel. I never got the repair quite right nor the paint shade in that area. The car got sold onto an enthusiast when I finished it and I have never sprayed an external panel again.

Oh the joys of car painting

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 10:53   #19
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Finally got the bonnet finished, slight orange peel but should be able to cut it out.
Did the rear bumper as well.
All came out ok- finally!!
Old 8th July 2017, 11:09   #20
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Sounds like a nightmare

Hi genpk,

Painting a bonnet is one of the hardest parts of a car to paint, people get fooled because it's a flat surface..often over load it with paint or clear coat. It's best to stop when or if it goes wrong, let it dry and take another look..If you blend with thinner than, get the temperature up or it runs..

If your painting outside wet the floor to keep any dust down, never use a primer gun for top coat! fatal. I use suction guns with filters on the pick up. I always use two pack primer filler it's great stuff..

Hammer paint is a killer make sure there is none in sight..anyways you got there in the end, well done!
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote