Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2017, 22:39   #61
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

I have met people who say different to you. Which means they do not need to to try to speak for them?
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 22:50   #62
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Typo on my other post

I have met people who say different to you. Which means they do not need you to try to speak for them?
Old 20th December 2017, 22:52   #63
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Ed3 talks like Meerkat.
Old 20th December 2017, 22:53   #64
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

What is Meerkat?
Old 20th December 2017, 23:08   #65
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

the terms wear and tear and preventative maintenance come to my mind.

Any car I have had over the past 20 years have all required some form of repair, all but two were over 10 years old. I once had to replace brake pads on my 10 year old 50,000 mile Renault 5, I got shot of that car pretty sharpish after that, I just couldnt trust it any longer!

Dont think it is, but this made me laugh recently

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2c43a60ade072a5d5a9908fddee07e76--toilets-mate.jpg (96.3 KB, 142 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 23:13   #66
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
As we are aware planning to have to boil a kettle and wait for a thaw before being able to drive a loved one to hospital in a critical emergency is beyond ridiculous

hmmm getting a wee bit dramatic are we not ?

the only time i've had any issue with door locks - is when it's so cold i should probably reconsider whether or not to take the journey in the first place - and any issues have been no more than a slight inconvenience easily rectified with a slight raise in temperature

realistically no cars are designed to last much more than 100k or 10 years.

I think these cars are better than most......i'm biased of course....but still

I'm curious as to how you know there are 6 leaks ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 23:48   #67
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

10 year old rovers ??? There arnt very many that young are there .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 23:52   #68
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

"I'm curious as to how you know there are 6 leaks ?"

1&2) Two rear light seals
3&4) Two rear vents
5) Then the kitchen roll I have on a totally empty boot is picking up a small cup full coming down vertically onto the kitchen roll from near the hinge - but not sure of the exact location yet as it could either be from the clips on the window or many other places I can see that give a potential to leak
6) I have half the carpet out and main carpet peeled up (no sunroof) and used a water vacuum but there seems to be a water leak at the front and on the web others mention water can come from the front.

Regards overly dramatic ? No? Because as a teen I grew up with people in that 'on the edge' situation of when it goes wrong seconds count. And also at a time before mobiles, a neighbour lost his wife when his car broke down during a medical emergency and the public phones had been vandalised. In recent times have called ambulances to real emergencies in the street and they take far too long - an hour or hours. Reliable cars seem essential.

Last edited by Ed3; 20th December 2017 at 23:55..
Old 21st December 2017, 00:20   #69
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post

"I'm curious as to how you know there are 6 leaks ?"

1&2) Two rear light seals
3&4) Two rear vents
5) Then the kitchen roll I have on a totally empty boot is picking up a small cup full coming down vertically onto the kitchen roll from near the hinge - but not sure of the exact location yet as it could either be from the clips on the window or many other places I can see that give a potential to leak
6) I have half the carpet out and main carpet peeled up (no sunroof) and used a water vacuum but there seems to be a water leak at the front and on the web others mention water can come from the front.

Regards overly dramatic ? No? Because as a teen I grew up with people in that 'on the edge' situation of when it goes wrong seconds count. And also at a time before mobiles, a neighbour lost his wife when his car broke down during a medical emergency and the public phones had been vandalised. In recent times have called ambulances to real emergencies in the street and they take far too long - an hour or hours. Reliable cars seem essential.
Out of curiosity Ed3, how old are you? The reason I ask, is I am mid 40s and can recall quite clearly the various leaks in my grandfather's 3 year old '85 Toyota Carina, (that and a further 2 of mine). The '85 one was scrapped at 11 years old after head gasket issues (its 2nd!). My own 2 Carinas all leaked too, in the same places.

I can also remember time before people having one car in the household let alone two, and having neighbours come to our house to phone ambulances for their relatives. In terms of a critical emergency (your words), you should be calling 999, and waiting on the paramedic. That is the advice given, as they will reach, certainly my location quicker than I could get to the nearest hospital 5 miles away (the nearest A&E is 12 miles away). I was in this very situation in May, the paramedic was there in less than 10 minutes, and had my mother assessed, with emergency treatment and connected ECG, whilst the ambulance was dispatched. When it arrived, it did not even depart for the hospital for about an hour!

Again, I can recall, back in the day, the churning sounds of non starting Cortinas/Sierras etc, all less than 10 years old. We are moving forward with reliability in cars, and as such, continually learning their failings due to effectively wearing out.

In 1982, it was uncommon to see a 10 year old car on the road without holes, with most being less than 6 years old. Back then you could buy a 6 year old Viva on its last legs for £50, or a very good one for £150, because they were perceived to be on their last legs. Cars now, are becoming disposable unless you have an enthusiasm for them, it seems you dont.

to quote yourself from your OP

it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is happening to the decade plus old Rover 75 it will no longer be viable for most people.

I do think it could be rewritten as

it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is the search facility to the decade plus old Rover 75/ZT forum, these cars will no longer be viable for most people. Your knowledge and paranoia may be relieved if you too a bit of initiative and made the effort to learn how to use it. Just a thought................

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 00:25   #70
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

the light seals are an easy inexpensive fix as are the vents (from what i'm aware) 1-4 are well documented here

I've had to do my rear light seals - and i do still have a wee bit water getting in the boot from one of the rear window trim clips (not much i'll sort it in the warmer weather)

5 - is likely to be rear window clips

r.e 6 - if the car has been poorly maintained in previous ownership and water allowed to pool in the boot - it's possible for water from the boot to get into the cabin - also if the plenums have been flooded it's possible for water to find it's way into the cabin

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote