Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st February 2018, 00:43   #31
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

The concorde programme referred to in post 24 gave a different reason for the accident .

The early railway trains were said to be dangerous because the human body could not stand speeds above 30 mph .

But its obviously not the speed that kills , its the sudden stopping .

Oh well, back to the moongazing its a bit cloudy now .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 01:10   #32
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
But its obviously not the speed that kills , its the sudden stopping .
Tecnically it's not heights I'm afraid of, it's the ground!
Old 1st February 2018, 02:50   #33
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

EXACTLY!

can we not get this guy sacked?

Seriously.. We are paying the wages of people like this, and stupid ideas like this is the best these morons can come up with?

Same goes for the wolly who proposed we should retro fit our aircraft carriers with catalytic converters (at great expense to the tax payers I might add).

Honestly! Why are we the people allowing these kind of idiots to work for us?

Maybe if the people had more powers to call for the dismissal of these sorts of pillocks in positions of authority, maybe they would think twice every time they had one of their 'bright ideas'.

I think they would think far more carefully about policy making if they knew (remembered) who they work for (us) and that we have the power to sack them if we don't like something.

Now that would be a 'true' democracy, putting reasonable power back into the hands of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
If there was a 1mph threshold the courts would be clogged with people contesting due to new tyres have larger diameter etc.
This Chief C*ntstable is trying to make a name for himself, I've heard on the news tonight that other chiefs have said the bloke is a clown (or words to that effect) and it's unenforceable.

What would be better is 3 yearly mandatory eye tests from the opticians, with the results sent straight to DVLA on a central computer, so no seeing = no driving and licenced revoked. Also a mandatory re sit of the driving test every time the photo card licence needs renewing (10 years). Again no pass = no driving. That would clear out some of the rubbish on our roads, like the bloke trying to refill his electric vaping thing whilst he was pulling away from the lights tonight.

I find it ironic that our vehicles, certainly those on this forum over 36 months old, are tested every year for their roadworthiness. However I passed my test at 17 and can keep on driving for another 53 years without any checks for my competency behind the wheel or knowledge of new rules etc.

It's the nuts holding the steering wheel that cause the problems, not speed or indeed velocity as my physics teacher would say, that's something else I remember from when I was 17!
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 03:03   #34
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Maybe someone who is good with words on here could put together an intellectual and we'll written online petition calling for the resignation of the Pc Plod in question?

I'm sure if we spread the link to it all around the various car forums and social media sites we could amass an Un presidented response from the good people of this country!?

Even if it didn't get him the sack, it might make somebody stand up and take notice that we the people are not amused and refuse to blindly roll over and be trampled on every time somebody with a little power thinks they can do or say what ever they like, regardless of how the people it affects feel about it!
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 08:26   #35
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I spend more time looking at my speedo than the road now! If this idiot has his way, I think everyone should drive 10mph below the limit, and bring the country to a grinding halt. I have always felt that a good driver (of which there are too few) knows what is a safe speed under all conditions, and doesn't need signs to tell him. Deaths are mostly caused by drivers well exceeding the limit, or being careless - doubt that this suggestion would save a single life.

Furthermore, I am amazed that learner drivers are allowed 15 minor errors on test and still passed.
Just on point one looking at the speedo, IMO the heads up displays are quite good it does avoid taking your eyes off the road also sat nav is useful mine says "you are over the speed limit" if I stray a bit.

Now the downside of being an instructor is, I have to keep my nose really clean so constantly watching speed. On the part 2 test we are allowed 6 minors, I picked up 2 in the same area, parked van and passing truck obscured the 20mph sign, luckily I was doing 24 mph due to traffic. It is easy to get a ticket.

On part 2 driving ability, we have to perform every single manoeuvre flawlessly, many professional drivers including ex police have difficulty passing.

What I say to knew drivers is simple, I'll teach you to drive and try to keep you and others alive, not how to pass a test, I will also tell you when you are properly ready for a test, not book a test just to extract money from you.

While I agree 15 minors appear lenient however, a learner making a lot of minor errors is bound to have made one or two dangerous faults and fail.

One thing that always amazes me, driving schools teach the emergency stop almost at the end of the coarse
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 08:58   #36
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'm glad I took my bike and car tests years ago.

Back then the bike test was a doddle - couple of laps round the block, and as long as you managed to stop when the Examiner jumped out and put his hand up you were good to go.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 09:33   #37
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
not sure a retest would catch people filling a vapour . Even a few "good" drivers would probably fail a driving test after 10 years.
may be there should be an opportunity for people to take a driving test and not risk losing their licence if they fail, I think i'd like to try .

more traffic police would certainly be of help dealing with drivers not driving correctly

macafee2

Many more bad ones would fail too. I agree about the vaper but what else is he doing wrong as well? The point is that due to lack of anticipation, carelessness and thoughtlessness that man was more likely to cause an accident on that piece of road than the next person concentrating and doing 31 or 32 mph.

There are lots of drivers, me included, who have let the odd bad habit creep in over the years. I know full well I don't shuffle the steering wheel when I go round the corners as I was taught to do, it's just not quick enough. I don't see any rally drivers using that technique!

The thought of losing a licence and being unable to work, might make people take note and knuckle down with a few refresher lessons etc. A grace period of a few weeks to get a pass could be an option.
But the main point is to improve driving standards and without enough traffic police, or police in general to catch the bad drivers and people with deffective cars nothing is going to change. More so called safety cameras won't catch anyone driving without due care and attention, unless it meant they were speeding too!

In my work a self employed electrician I get checked every year by the competent person scheme I'm a member of to see if I am up to date with current regulations, have appropriate documents, health and safety, comply to current building standards and undertake work accordingly etc. If I don't comply, I get the withdrawn from the scheme. A similar system is in place for other building trades, Gas safe, Fensa and so on.

Once people have a licence anybody who drives, including if it is their business, can carry on almost indefinitely without any further checks on their ability to do the driving. It is madness to focus on excess speed as the cause of all things evil on the roads.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 09:44   #38
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
...My dash says 70mph and the digital display says 67mph...
I think a speedo can be reading up to 17% fast legally IIRC
None of my cars are closer than 5% of the GPS indicated speed.
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 09:53   #39
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Andy with a screwdriver: There are lots of drivers, me included, who have let the odd bad habit creep in over the years. I know full well I don't shuffle the steering wheel when I go round the corners as I was taught to do, it's just not quick enough. I don't see any rally drivers using that technique!

------
Hi, Crossing hands etc is no longer a test fail within reason provided you have good control of the steering. Pull push is really for very inexperienced drivers to get used to steering.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 11:06   #40
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

That upstart copper is unlikely to get his wishes because the majority of drivers would be caught and kick up a fuss. However he is technically correct - 30mph (or whatever the speed limit is) is the law and if you break the law then you can't complain about being fined for it; though I admit it is soooo easy to do so inadvertently, but then we don't give keeping to the limits much thought because we know if we're only breaking the law a little bit then they probably won't come after us.