Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th October 2018, 19:33   #11
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

There are still far too many on the road ; break it and keep all the good bits
Old 29th October 2018, 19:43   #12
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The thing is Roy, it goes against the grain a little to condemn a car to the knackers yard.

I'm going to have a think about it, I'm in the fortunate position of being able to press another car into service at short notice........if my duotone had been a manual, the ZT would be meeting it's maker tomorrow, but it's not.......gah decisions
I know what you mean, I have a 51 plate conny se cdt I bought in feb 06 that now needs some work to bring it back up to scratch, if I was a bean counter it would be in the crusher but I have not got the heart to do that and I can't see myself changing my mind anytime soon, so is the quandry of the Rover owner lol
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:44   #13
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

A couple of months ago, I had a similar decision to make about my tourer - a year after acquisition it needed a couple of arms, shocks, springs, bushings & ball joints, brake discs & pads, plus a few other items. None of these on their own would have been much more than normal maintenance and/or wear & tear items, but to sort it all out in one go meant I would face a bill of some £600 once labour costs were included. Rather than try to sell it for essentially scrap money, I decided to just give it to someone who could carry out the work themselves and focus on continuing to resurrect another from my collection.

The decision was based partly on only having so much of a budget, and partly on the knowledge that the car would continue to be run and well maintained. But what probably made the biggest difference - and allowed me to make the decision quickly - was that this car hadn't really captured my imagination the way any of the others have, in spite of the lovely colour. I miss it a little, but nowhere near as much as I'd miss any of the others. You sound like you're in the same position.

(PS did you get my other message at the weekend?)
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:46   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
A couple of months ago, I had a similar decision to make about my tourer - a year after acquisition it needed a couple of arms, shocks, springs, bushings & ball joints, brake discs & pads, plus a few other items. None of these on their own would have been much more than normal maintenance and/or wear & tear items, but to sort it all out in one go meant I would face a bill of some £600 once labour costs were included. Rather than try to sell it for essentially scrap money, I decided to just give it to someone who could carry out the work themselves and focus on continuing to resurrect another from my collection.

The decision was based partly on only having so much of a budget, and partly on the knowledge that the car would continue to be run and well maintained. But what probably made the biggest difference - and allowed me to make the decision quickly - was that this car hadn't really captured my imagination the way any of the others have, in spite of the lovely colour. I miss it a little, but nowhere near as much as I'd miss any of the others. You sound like you're in the same position.

(PS did you get my other message at the weekend?)
I did Andy, now I need to find a set of cheap manual ZT seats for you
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:49   #15
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Not exactly for me, ultimately ... But cheers mate.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:51   #16
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Get rid of it, no one will miss a oil burning ZT
Old 29th October 2018, 19:54   #17
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have a worse decision - my V6 has nothing wrong, but no one wants it, and I can't have it as a garden gnome. If it doesn't sell I will end up breaking something that really doesn't deserve it, but the parts could at least be saved or sold.

I hate breaking cars, so I know exactly how you feel and why its a hard choice! I've never succumbed and broken one yet.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:54   #18
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I would break it Brian,

You don't like the car what's the point in keeping it and at least you would have the good parts saved for your next one, you cant save everything.

I had a whitegold 75 tourer bought for £130 as a parts car but was in better nick than the project so stuck an MOT on it ran it for 18months never needed a thing but never really bonded with it, then my first ZTT was on ebay with a blown engine and in poor condition but went and bought it for more than it was worth and used the tourer for parts without a second thought and despite spending a fortune and still doing so love my ZTT and enjoy driving it every day.

Richard

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 19:55   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Get rid of it, no one will miss a oil burning ZT
I will still need something to test stone crusher ECM with
Old 29th October 2018, 19:56   #20
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadomobile View Post
I would break it Brian,

You don't like the car what's the point in keeping it and at least you would have the good parts saved for your next one, you cant save everything.

I had a whitegold 75 tourer bought for £130 as a parts car but was in better nick than the project so stuck an MOT on it ran it for 18months never needed a thing but never really bonded with it, then my first ZTT was on ebay with a blown engine and in poor condition but went and bought it for more than it was worth and used the tourer for parts without a second thought and despite spending a fortune and still doing so love my ZTT and enjoy driving it every day.

Richard
The heater fan works, can I interest you???