Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd April 2018, 08:15   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Drone Delivery

I saw an article on the "Click" this morning regarding the use of drones for delivery of small packages. There is definitely a useful need for this in remote areas as has been proved by the trials involving the delivery of medicines in Africa, but I do fear that the introduction of this in major developments will lead to an increase in the dangers from malfunctions, and the decline in free soaring wildlife, and dinosaurs such as me.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:56   #2
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I saw an article on the "Click" this morning regarding the use of drones for delivery of small packages. There is definitely a useful need for this in remote areas as has been proved by the trials involving the delivery of medicines in Africa, but I do fear that the introduction of this in major developments will lead to an increase in the dangers from malfunctions, and the decline in free soaring wildlife, and dinosaurs such as me.
I wonder what the CAA's view on this would be they'll be loads of regulations etc and as you say damage to wildlife etc.
Amazon tried it in America I think but not sure how it went.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:02   #3
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
A drone passed over the house the over weekend and to be honest was rather noisy and intrusive, so the thought of deliveries being made with these devices does not fill me with joy.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:16   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
In rural areas, how will the drones ask passers by location of the delivery address?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:32   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
In March this year new regulations came into force in Kenya for drone users to have a licence. As well as the cost, they must demonstrate they know how to operate them. $1200 USD for private use and $2300 USD commercial for the license.
The Red Cross have said they will be interested in getting the drones. I know the Kenya Wildlife Service use them to catch poachers.
The fees for a license are a blow to photographers and film makers, to farmers and land owners.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:44   #6
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

I'm completely in the dark as to how this works in the real world. I've read various articles about it but can anyone fill me in on:
What is the range of these things? Do they fly from say, Amazon's distribution base 50miles to deliver a parcel, or does a driver go most of the way and park up to send out a drone to each of his deliveries in the area one at a time?
I've read that this will be a boon for 'remote areas'. Unless these things have a humongous range, nowhere within range of a distribution base is going to be that 'remote' is it?
I've also read that an advantage will be '30 minute delivery from ordering'. Again, how will that be achievable? Unless these things fly supersonic, 30minutes isn't going to get you very far from base.
To me, this seems one of these ideas that someone has thought "that sounds really cool", but will be totally unachievable in the real world. Anyway, I'm waiting for the first 'matter transfer' booths to become available. Then I can order, and within 2 minutes, my purchase is zapped straight to my home
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:55   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
........... Anyway, I'm waiting for the first 'matter transfer' booths to become available. Then I can order, and within 2 minutes, my purchase is zapped straight to my home
Think I'll stick with a man in a van

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:56   #8
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Is the drone going to knock on your door and ask if you can take a parcel in for next door and leave a little card through the letter box ?
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:00   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

When I am out, how are these things going to leave the item in the box by the shed?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 11:04   #10
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
When I am out, how are these things going to leave the item in the box by the shed?
Depends how good the pilot is. You may find your item in the shed. Complete with bits of drone. And next door's washing line.