Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th September 2020, 19:54   #21
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

https://blog.greenflag.com/2019/cheap-supermarket-fuel/

Worth a read keep the thread going

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 21:36   #22
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

My last zt190 threw up on different occasions the eml light, plugging the code reader in threw up two fault codes, both banks were running lean, the car was running on asda fuel.
I then decided to try shell unleaded, the first tankful gave me 50 more miles out of it over the asda stuff, replicated on every tank fill afterwards, my journey to work was a 264 mile round trip, and never again did the eml light come on.

I now run a derv zt and I currently do a 202 mile round trip to work, I use either tesco or shell fuel, and I do get a better mpg from shell fuel.

I did run the car on asda fuel when I first had it, since I stopped using it the car seems more responsive and certainly doesn't smoke on acceleration and I get a better miles to tank range.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2020, 04:23   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Yesterday I decided to fill our Kia Venga 1.4 petrol with shell v max fuel to see if I could notice any difference.

Actually, after a few miles (probably needed to get the new fuel into the engine) the answer was a definite yes!

The engine is much more responsive on the shell v max. In terms of more max power, I dont know. It is the low down pick up where the difference is felt. Its not surprising really when you think about it. Years ago when your engines ignition timing was pretty much fixed, if you ran a lower octane fuel you would be able to hear the engine pinking under load. Pinking is really bad for an engine, if left unchecked would eventually cause the engine to self destruct. So you either filled up with an higher octane fuel or retarded the ignition timing. Retarded ignition will loose you power.

Modern engines have knock (or pinking) sensors fitted. As soon as one of these sensors picks up on any pinking, the ECU will automatically back off the ignition timing to the point where pinking stops, and magically moves it back when the engine has stopped trying to self destruct.
All this happens within a split second, and the driver will be totally unaware of it.

So, what does this mean exactly? Well if you fill up on a fuel with a lower octane, or a fuel that has a tendency to cause pinking, your engines ECU will be retarding the ignition quite a lot, which will make your car a little more sluggish. Fill up with an higher octane fuel, or one with less tendency to cause pinking and your ECU doesn't need to back off the ignition timing so your car should feel more responsive. You will feel it most on low revs pick up. The pick up in general should feel more responsive, which is exactly how my Kia feels running on the Shell V Max. This in turn should in theory give me more miles per gallon, simply because I don't need to be as heavy on the throttle to keep up with traffic.

However, is it worth the extra cost? Does it balance itself out? I don't know. Our Kia feels so much nicer to drive on the Shell V max, but can i justify the extra cost? Fortunately for me, the Kia is used for my work, so my fuel is a tax deductible expense.

Will supermarket fuel damage anyone's engine? A definite no! By law, all fuels must meet standards. So using supermarket fuel will not do any damage.

Someone compared premium brand cornflakes to supermarkets own label brand. Both are cornflakes, but i can tell the difference!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2020, 06:48   #24
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

I notice that using premium fuel over supermarket diesel the car engine sounds more refined. It somehow has a more mutted tone to it overall. The performance is slightly better (hardly noticeable in real road conditions)
Old 16th September 2020, 10:36   #25
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Yes I do, but not that often - over the years a total of 3 bottles of Forte injector cleaner.

Thanks Mike, I thought that would be the case. 3 Bottles doesn't sound bad though.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 08:31   #26
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Iv used a very cheap supermarket diesel fuel in th 75 for ten years on and off, and it sounded and run not as smoothly. After many conversations with "colleagues" i used ordinary Esso diesel with red ex and it was a nice improvement sound wise and performance.

Lately in 2 different higher performance petrol engines one turbo and one normally asperated i got better pull and fuel economy. Iv used Tesco 98 ron and Jet ultra in both and found jet th best by a smidge on fuel consumption on both engines. Surprisingly i found th best result was 4.6 extra MPG on th normally aspirated engine using Jet ultra.. I never use 95 ron now. I know this isnt scientific but im convinced on performance engines it does make a difference.