Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th September 2020, 11:37   #1
Harmie10

Rover 75 saloon

Default Naval head unit

Hi all, can anyone tell me if it's possible to reprogram the reversing wiring, the reason I ask is when my local garage installed the reversing camera he told me it would not work using the rear camera plug so he connected it to the front. This means that every time I reverse I have to faff about pushing menu buttons until I find the right one. As you can imagine this is a royal pain in the butt.
Can anyone help please?
Oh and does anyone have the instructions manual for this unit that I can scrounge a copy of?

Thanks in advance everyone n I apologise if this post had you belly laughing 👍🍺
Harmie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 15:01   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I have one of the older Win CE units with a reversing camera.

With the camera just plugged in to the rear camera input, it doesn't work properly, but there's an additional wire on the back of the unit (labelled "reverse" or possibly "back", or something similar) and this has to be connected into the reversing light circuit. Once this is done, selecting reverse gear triggers the unit to automatically select the reverse camera input and all works as it should - the unit switches back from the reverse camera input once reverse gear is no longer selected.

I would imagine the same (or similar) set up would apply to the later Navall units.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2020, 16:43   #3
Harmie10

Rover 75 saloon

Default Naval head unit

Many thanks cliff I'll take a look at the wiring before I put it all back together
Old 14th September 2020, 19:32   #4
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

My Navall 3 has the same 3 wire system as Teflon mentions. I installed a 3rd party camera and it works a treat. Camera comes on when reverse is selected and ignition on, even if radio is switched off. If you have to remove the chrome plinth on the bootlid to get at the camera back be careful as there are 4 lugs holding it in position, not just the two obvious ones. Good luck!
Old 14th September 2020, 19:37   #5
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

If I can find the radio manual I will post the relevant bit.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:13   #6
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

Sorry, found the wiring diagram but it’s tiny and illegible. Suggest you search the forum. From memory my loom cables were labelled. My camera had two RCA plugs and the control wire which I spliced into the camera control on the radio loom. Hope this helps.
Old 15th September 2020, 07:00   #7
Harmie10

Rover 75 saloon

Default Naval head unit

Many thanks for your replies folks I'll take another look at the wiring loom on the back of the unit.

I managed to find a user instruction manual on line which I now have saved on iBooks

Thanks again for all replies folks if I struggle, which is possible as I am now sadly disabled I will seek further clarity 🍺🍺🕊
Old 18th September 2020, 20:47   #8
Harmie10

Rover 75 saloon

Default Naval head unit, reversing camera wiring

Hi all I've taken another look at the wiring connections and they appear to be correct, the interesting fact is the camera has been plugged into the front camera plug and works absolutely fine when reverse gear is selected, granted you have to faff about selecting the front camera screen icon to view the rear? My conclusion, rightly or wrongly is there is a fault in the internal wiring connections in the unit, not genius I accept and as I'm not an electrician at all, in fact a Luddite, I don't know what to do with it. I have considered replacing it with a new one and binning this one for a more upto date unit. If the repair is simple even for a one handed Luddite like me will someone please explain it in very simple terms using diagrams if necessary. I'm not as useless as I made out I'm just frustrated and fed up with the thing. It's a pain in the butt when you are parking in a busy car park surrounded by Neanderthal impatient motorists lol

Many thanks in advance for all replies and recommendations for a replacement head unit.

Kind regards Peter
Old 19th September 2020, 06:08   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmie10 View Post
Hi all I've taken another look at the wiring connections and they appear to be correct, the interesting fact is the camera has been plugged into the front camera plug and works absolutely fine when reverse gear is selected, granted you have to faff about selecting the front camera screen icon to view the rear? My conclusion, rightly or wrongly is there is a fault in the internal wiring connections in the unit, not genius I accept and as I'm not an electrician at all, in fact a Luddite, I don't know what to do with it. I have considered replacing it with a new one and binning this one for a more upto date unit. If the repair is simple even for a one handed Luddite like me will someone please explain it in very simple terms using diagrams if necessary. I'm not as useless as I made out I'm just frustrated and fed up with the thing. It's a pain in the butt when you are parking in a busy car park surrounded by Neanderthal impatient motorists lol

Many thanks in advance for all replies and recommendations for a replacement head unit.

Kind regards Peter
Hi Peter,

In my time of installing and repairing Navall head units I had never come across one with a reverse camera fault. It is far more likely a wiring issue.
As Cliff and others have said the unit needs to receive a trigger from the car to tell it to switch over to reverse view. If this trigger is correctly connected even without a camera, the unit will automatically switch over to the reverse screen input.
The wire on the head unit loom as already mentioned would be labeled reverse, back, or back cam usually. It needs to be spliced in to the 12 volt positive feed to the reversing lights. The wire is coloured Brown and Green and should be in the loom near the head unit. If your unit is already connected to that, you can test it is functioning by using a multimeter. Switch it to DC volts, put the ground wire onto the case work of the head unit and the positive wire to the green/brown wire. With ignition on (but car NOT running) put the car in reveres gear and check to see that the meter registers 12 volts when in reverse. If it doesn't then that is your problem and you need to check that the correct wire has been used from the car wiring. If it does then you may well be correct in that the double din is at fault.

Let us know what you find so we can advise further
Old 19th September 2020, 12:19   #10
Harmie10

Rover 75 saloon

Default Naval head unit

Many thanks for your reply Jeff, I have located the rear camera insert plug and then removed the plug from the front camera socket and plugged it into to the rear cam socket, put the car into reverse nothing displayed I then reversed the plugs back again and put the car into reverse and got a picture. I reckon you're right about the wiring. The cable has a red wire attached to a black wire then plug. I'll take a photo n try to add it here to show you what I mean.

Many thanks for helping me out. At the time of the original installation I got a copy of the correct wiring procedure from you I think which I gave to my local mechanic, it was him who informed me it didn't work etc etc which lead me to activating the rear camera this way, so I reckon he didn't understand how to do it. Anyway I'll take some pics n post them on here, I hope