Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2020, 15:19   #1
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Default Cracks, bodge paint jobs and cramping hands

I’m repairing cracks and respraying both wing mirrors to my project 75 and it’s my first time sanding car parts. my hands hurt I won’t lie😂 and both bumpers are coming off soon for the same treatment...I don’t know if it was the previous owner or someone before, but someone has painted both bumpers with a PAINT BRUSH!! You can see the marks down it. whoever did it made a mess of it, and it needs sorting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 18:27   #2
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2003 View Post
I’m repairing cracks and respraying both wing mirrors to my project 75 and it’s my first time sanding car parts. my hands hurt I won’t lie😂 and both bumpers are coming off soon for the same treatment...I don’t know if it was the previous owner or someone before, but someone has painted both bumpers with a PAINT BRUSH!! You can see the marks down it. whoever did it made a mess of it, and it needs sorting.

Hi Adam, as it is your first time sanding in preparation for paint I'll give you a couple of little hints.

Use 400 wet and dry paper, to wet sand in preparation for poorly painted surfaces, wiping off frequently with a wet sponge or cloth.

If the surface simply needs keying for paint, then 600 or even 800 grit paper will be fine.

In your picture, the mirror cap appears to have been rubbed down with very coarse paper, 80, or 100 perhaps, and every single scratch will show in the paint finish, which is not what your want.

Have fun, and remember is is practice that makes the job easier over time.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 18:46   #3
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
Hi Adam, as it is your first time sanding in preparation for paint I'll give you a couple of little hints.

Use 400 wet and dry paper, to wet sand in preparation for poorly painted surfaces, wiping off frequently with a wet sponge or cloth.

If the surface simply needs keying for paint, then 600 or even 800 grit paper will be fine.

In your picture, the mirror cap appears to have been rubbed down with very coarse paper, 80, or 100 perhaps, and every single scratch will show in the paint finish, which is not what your want.

Have fun, and remember is is practice that makes the job easier over time.

Thanks Appreciate it. I’m gonna see how it comes out before doing the second one. It’s drying now, will look in the morning but at the minute it doesn’t look too bad. Put a couple of layers of primer on so hopefully scratches won’t show.

Old 19th September 2020, 13:51   #4
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Turned out quite good. Scratches haven’t shown up. Might buy another mirror from a scrap yard (off a random car not necessarily a rover) just to practise a bit more before I do the bumpers.

Old 19th September 2020, 14:17   #5
elroy
I really should get out more.......

MG ZTT

Thanked 1,158 Times in 643 Posts

take your time Adam, i did my bumpers at the beginning of this covid lark took me three days a bumper front one being a bit trickier because of the light holes. Have fun
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2020, 19:48   #6
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy View Post
take your time Adam, i did my bumpers at the beginning of this covid lark took me three days a bumper front one being a bit trickier because of the light holes. Have fun

Cheers Elroy.

Front Lights need replacing so going to change them at the same time. Waiting until this month is up and then sorning it as it’s going to take me a while as you said.

Old 20th September 2020, 19:59   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

When you rub down the bumpers prior to spraying, use red scotchbrite, its a lot friendlier than wet & dry, and easier to work with.

When you prime the bumper, use a plastic primer and remember.. Any imperfections you see in the primer will show up in the basecoat!

Take your time and go gently.
Old 20th September 2020, 22:32   #8
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
When you rub down the bumpers prior to spraying, use red scotchbrite, its a lot friendlier than wet & dry, and easier to work with.

When you prime the bumper, use a plastic primer and remember.. Any imperfections you see in the primer will show up in the basecoat!

Take your time and go gently.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look at getting some red scotch bite tomorrow.