Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2023, 06:51   #1
rond

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy Possibility of changing/replacing engines?

Hi all,

My lovely 1.8 2005 model (forever Rover) has died!!!. I have had quotes to redo the engine and was floored at the price to say the least . I love this vehicle but sadly i either need to sell it ( give it away) OR if at all possible try replace its original 1.8 Turbo engine with another vehicles engine. Does anyone out there know of which replacement engines I can use that necessitates the least amount of technical challenges. Any and all ideas are welcome. I have no problem using Japanese or Korean engines. P.S. I live in South Africa.)

Thanks in anticipation

Rond
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 07:41   #2
Terry00H

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Engine swap

Hi,
The pre 2014 MG 1.8T engine will work , I’ve had one put in my Rover 75.It’s essentially the same engine but with all the K series problems sorted. A couple of things need changing . The oil rail needs to be modified and there is a sensor on the MG 6 engine block that is not on the Rover . For this a small blanking plate needs making up to go over the hole where it went. Don’t let this put you off as it’s a nuts and bolts job for a mechanic who knows what they are doing and it’s easier than all that’s involved with a head gasket change.

I’m not mechanical minded so can’t advise much more but have a look at my post a few days ago on Owning a Rover in a ULEZ zone. The coolant alarm is a very useful addition.

All the best.
Terry00H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2023, 09:51   #3
Terry00H

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Engine swap

Hi ,

I should have said the engine from a pre 2014 MG 6 car !
Terry00H is offline   Reply With Quote