Notices

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2015, 19:07   #101
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Some superb arguments in favour of motor cyclists, however no one has actually answered my question, why they in particular is should move up to the front of the queue.
However I am left with a picture in my mind;
3 seconds after the green light, fifteen motor cyclists are fighting for the same piece of Tarmac 50 yards up the road.
And that's what we call responsible riding.
When did you last see 15 motorcyclists set off from the lights around here.
And to answer your question, because we can, it's legal.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:11   #102
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
There are far more cars on the road than bikes. Percentage wise bikers are far more likely to be lunatics than car drivers.

They are also far more likely to grizzle, whinge and play the victim when they come off worse in a collision that was 100% caused by them!

I've ridden bikes and will admit there are some terrible drivers with almost no observation skills, but bikers are to blame far more often than statistics indicate.

As a driver of a van with no rear windows and poor rear visibility, I have lost count of the amount of times I have lost sight of a bike that came tearing up behind me then parked itself square in my blind spot.

I once had to break hard to avoid a Daydreaming pedestrian and a biker face planted my rear doors, I had no idea he was even there!!
Didn't stop him having a hissy fit about my "poor driving" as if I should have just mowed down the pedestrian so as not to inconvenience him!
Erm...the law of averages would have the balance of nutters in cars if there is more of them.
Old 30th January 2015, 19:18   #103
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

Quote:

We've all had the "think bike" "now you see him, now you don't" "the driver is always wrong" adverts drilled into us for decades.
Where on any advertising over the decades have you heard or seen "the driver is always wrong"?
Old 30th January 2015, 20:19   #104
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Quote:
And iff they take anybody with them when they wipe out,,well that's just too bad isn't it
I'll give you the weekend to find a story where this has happened (Not including any pillion carried)

In the meantime, give me 2 hours and i'll find 50 or more of the same regarding cars....

If I ride like an idiot the chances of me hurting anyone except myself let alone killing them is pretty remote, the same can't be said for car drivers..

Also I could ride around at 60mph come off and in all likelihood die, I could crash a car, get out without a scratch having killed someone else be it a biker pedestrian or other road user and after a ban, do it all again..

Who do you really think is more dangerous??

Perhaps the above reasoning is partly why some bikers feel a bit more freedom to push it??

Those two in the vid, What do you honestly think would happen if one did clip another vehicle? I'll tell you what, next to nothing, be lucky to scratch the paint on the truck, few mashed panels on a car maybe a write off but that would in all likelihood be all, now empty the road a bit and change the biker to a car swapping lanes to get in front, we've all seen them, what damage then...?

I'm not condoning the vid at all, but bikers riding badly do not tend to kill others, just themselves, car drivers driving badly tend to kill others, NOT themselves (Sadly)..And if you look at the stats, if that person was a biker their sentence will be derogatory.

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
Old 30th January 2015, 20:32   #105
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
When did you last see 15 motorcyclists set off from the lights around here.

And to answer your question, because we can, it's legal.

Probably never, but according to this thread bikers do it regularly. ( and I suspect that driving as a group might not be legal)
Old 30th January 2015, 20:45   #106
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Guys,

Can we resist the urge to argue as to whom the greatest menace on the road is.
I think we can all agree there are good and bad motorists on two or four wheels!

I don't want this thread to get nasty and for peeps to fall out, it was after all just a video of an isolated event and in no way meant to generalise all bikers in the same way as that pair of twerps.

Above all, whatever your mode of transportation, stay safe folks
Old 30th January 2015, 20:50   #107
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Guys,

Can we resist the urge to argue as to whom the greatest menace on the road is.
I think we can all agree there are good and bad motorists on two or four wheels!

I don't want this thread to get nasty and for peeps to fall out, it was after all just a video of an isolated event and in no way meant to generalise all bikers in the same way as that pair of twerps.

Above all, whatever your mode of transportation, stay safe folks
Agreed, we all share the same piece of tarmac, & need to look out for each other, regardless of how many wheels.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:34   #108
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

We've all had the "think bike" "now you see him, now you don't" "the driver is always wrong" adverts drilled into us for decades.
We are getting the same nonsense for the cyclists now as well.
In case you are missing the point and I can only assume you are - The idea is to remind you to open your eyes as a driver, so as to not miss seeing them. How many times have you pulled out at junctions, after seeing other vehicles pass, but failed to see someone on a bike? They are very easy to not see and particularly so in a 75, because they can be hidden behind the deep A pillars.

The risk to someone in a car is minimal in a resulting collision, but would be much more serious to a biker who hit you as you pulled out. It happens frequently, which is why they try to hammer it home on the TV and on sign posts around biking areas.

It seems you even object to that

- yet you say you have been a biker. The way you have expressed yourself so far, I suspect the only bike you might have had was something rather small and not for very long.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:48   #109
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Thread closed at request of OP
Closed Thread