Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2018, 14:45   #11
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Yes, Rav, no question that there is a connection between what you are feeling and your tire wear. As impvan says, a bad shock can cause erratic handling and uneven tire wear. You could give your car some good bouncing at each corner to see if one rear corner is bouncing more and easier than the other. To me, it sounds even more now like something is badly out of alignment at the rear. Doing the checks I suggested will give you some idea. You'll need someone to hold the tape measure for you when checking the toe.

When you find out that something is out of whack, I'd advise taking it to a different garage than the one who did the work on the backing plate last year to get their diagnosis, repair and opinion on why it happened.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:34   #12
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

The dodgy handling issue has been present since I drove the car out the garage last June. It didn’t do it prior otherwise I would of noticed it. Could the garage of damaged the shock if it is the shock absorber? Or damaged any other components that could cause my issue? I only noticed the tyre wear last week. I will do what you suggested regarding the measurements very soon and post back.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s

Last edited by Ravinder; 3rd April 2018 at 15:38..
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:47   #13
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
The dodgy handling issue has been present since I drove the car out the garage last June. It didn’t do it prior otherwise I would of noticed it. Could the garage of damaged the shock if it is the shock absorber? Or damaged any other components that could cause my issue? I only noticed the tyre wear last week. I will do what you suggested regarding the measurements very soon and post back.
Rav, I'm not big on coincidence. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck . I am still dubious about it being the shock, but ya never know.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 08:38   #14
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Update - had rear wheels off car yesterday. Wheels seem fine. Tyres are both equally worn and not one more then the other as I initially thought. Both tyres do need replacing soon, however...
I still have the twitch that I feel on the road when going over bumps. I’m convinced it’s the rear passenger side it’s coming from. Checked everything underneath the car and everything seems to be solid. Also did the bounce test on both sides and nothing obvious...

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 11:57   #15
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Update - had rear wheels off car yesterday. Wheels seem fine. Tyres are both equally worn and not one more then the other as I initially thought. Both tyres do need replacing soon, however...
I still have the twitch that I feel on the road when going over bumps. I’m convinced it’s the rear passenger side it’s coming from. Checked everything underneath the car and everything seems to be solid. Also did the bounce test on both sides and nothing obvious...
Had the same issue last year, obvious/significant wear on outer edge of both rear tyres (which had previously both been on the front and rotated to rear when I replaced the fronts). I don't by 'cheap ' tyres so it took a bit of consideration before I replaced the rears with new Goodyear F1 assy. and then laid out on Hunter 4 wheel alignment - result, just a bit of adjustment on the rear tow angle and 'all green readings'.
Seems OK now but we must have the same pothole situation as Fife in this part of the NW - I've had a couple of teeth shuddering incidents recently and wonder if my pocket wrenching alignment decision was worth it.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote