Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2018, 17:08   #31
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Let's hope the new carrier has a full compliment of planes soon, look at the Falklands conflict hardly anyone had heard of the place, Thatcher used it to deflect peoples attention away from UK affairs, IMO May is doing the same thing with the Russian/Syrian situation, it's taken Brexit out of the news. And back to the Falklands, our men and ships taken out by French exocet missiles.
No chance, sorry. We're so deep in on this Lightening II deal the consortium just has to get it right - it's too big to fail for all customers but for the Navy it's a one trick pony.
So far it's not looking at all great, lots of new stuff been thrown at it but in the greater scheme of things it's not the priority '5th generation' platform despite the eye watering spiralled cost - 4 years back it was already almost £120 ($167) billion over budget and 7(SEVEN) years behind schedule.
The first new carrier (QE2) might get a 'full' compliment of these aircraft soon (perhaps that's still up to 2 years away...) but I'll bet you my pension they will not be battle ready/capable - sea borne aircraft are notoriously difficult despite these very clever simulators.
Syria will be a bit of a bad memory by the time Brittania is really back at sea so the UK effort is down to Typhoons/Tornados and Astute subs. but I disagree that Syria/Russia is just a diversion from Brexit. Brexit is looking better by the day - just today the CBI (arch 'remainers') reported that their own survey of British firms now showed high confidence following Brexit - so that's a big turnaround.
I don't believe the current Government need any diversion. The Assad Syrian regime with the support of 'friend' Russia has been fighting a civil war within the wider middle east conflict with Isil; had Russia not intervened Assad would by now have been ousted from within.
Both Russia and Syria (and probably Iran) have been using chemical (and likely some limited biological) weapons often against their 'own people' with impunity for years - let's be frank, that is catagorically against all International conventions, it's not just a little slip up!!
When that sort of brash and utterly dangerous behaviour encourages such things as occurred in Salisbury most sane people would think it's time to call out the perpetrators.
Old 14th April 2018, 05:44   #32
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Remember the 1154, cancelled all those years ago.
Old 14th April 2018, 06:40   #33
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Syria will be a bit of a bad memory by the time Brittania is really back at sea so the UK effort is down to Typhoons/Tornados and Astute subs. but I disagree that Syria/Russia is just a diversion from Brexit. Brexit is looking better by the day - just today the CBI (arch 'remainers') reported that their own survey of British firms now showed high confidence following Brexit - so that's a big turnaround.
I don't believe the current Government need any diversion.

Don't know if I've quoted it properly, the text above is from a previous post. I strongly disagree with the statement about Brexit. I think it's going badly, I thought such discussions were banned? Perhaps what is banned is discussion on Brexit by people like me who are Remainers, especially when avid pro Brexit posters get really cross about our measured posts. I don't believe we have equal treatment here.
Old 14th April 2018, 07:23   #34
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well I can remember when everyone was told we no longer need carriers, in the light of assault ships such as HMS Bullwark. On the Brexit debate: The only reason business has relaxed is the fact it's all been delayed 2 years.

The financial services sector certainly isn't relaxed and up beat about Brexit, they know if passporting between the UK and the single market ends along with the protection of the ECJ and increased regulation then, there is a strong possibility that overall banking stability will be effected. This would mean that institutions will relocate to escape such regulation.
Old 14th April 2018, 07:31   #35
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Lets leave the pro/anti Brexit conspiracy theories to other forums to discuss.

No matter what actions are taken over Syria one thing is certain. It will be the ordinary men, women and children who suffer. The perpetrators on whatever side will get off lightly and probably be rewarded in the process.

All of it is so very sad. I guess thats why i tend not to watch the news etc and my social media is full of cars, cats and trains.
Old 14th April 2018, 10:44   #36
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I don't believe the current Government need any diversion.

Don't know if I've quoted it properly, the text above is from a previous post. I strongly disagree with the statement about Brexit. I think it's going badly, I thought such discussions were banned? Perhaps what is banned is discussion on Brexit by people like me who are Remainers, especially when avid pro Brexit posters get really cross about our measured posts. I don't believe we have equal treatment here.
The mention of Brexit was only a brief response to that raised by a corresponding member - not the main subject matter, so apologies (an unashamed Brexiteer who rathers our elected Government [whatever the 'colour'...] makes the decisions/mistakes instead of some mish mashed bunch of 'europeans' - it's worked well for us for 100's of years warts and all).
Anyway, for the time being it's all happened overnight hasn't it - in the final analysis appeasment hasn't/doesn't never works so you eventually, reluctantly have to go down the hard route. With the very best of intentions for world peace and happiness organisations like LoN's and now the UN eventually get neutralised in their key tasks by evil/scheming forces from within. I don't have the answers to that sad fact but the present bunch in NY must get their bums in gear - quick, otherwise they might as well just set up charity stalls on street corners (that would save us all a pile of useless expenses) and let the stronest of the world just slug it out - not a great prospect is it...
Old 14th April 2018, 11:32   #37
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
The mention of Brexit was only a brief response to that raised by a corresponding member - not the main subject matter, so apologies (an unashamed Brexiteer who rathers our elected Government [whatever the 'colour'...] makes the decisions/mistakes instead of some mish mashed bunch of 'europeans' - it's worked well for us for 100's of years warts and all).
............ (my edit, remainder all context OP)

Good call, some people are determined to throw petrol on the embers of a fire.

On topic: There is no point in the UN if it submits to one member repeatedly subverting the common will of the assembly while playing an overt part in the destruction and extermination of innocent lives on any scale, let alone one of this magnitude. The UN is only of any value if it can bring renegades to task. In this it has failed. Twice in this example.

Iraq has been widely used as negative exemplar for doing nothing while innocent children suffer unimaginable cruelty in Syria – not for the first time - with the criticism over ‘dodgy dossiers’ being thrown about. Well, it’s not like that now, far from it.

There is no doubt whatsoever about the involvement of Russia and its long support for atrocities committed by Assad - there have been Russian bases there for years and they know everything there is to know about Assad’s intentions. Their presence is entirely strategic – they have no other legitimate interest in that country.

There comes a time when Humanity has get on its hind legs to face aggressors because otherwise they will never stop until it is impossible to resist them. I thought we had learned that many times in our illustrious history.
Old 14th April 2018, 22:00   #38
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Good call, some people are determined to throw petrol on the embers of a fire.

On topic: There is no point in the UN if it submits to one member repeatedly subverting the common will of the assembly while playing an overt part in the destruction and extermination of innocent lives on any scale, let alone one of this magnitude. The UN is only of any value if it can bring renegades to task. In this it has failed. Twice in this example.

Iraq has been widely used as negative exemplar for doing nothing while innocent children suffer unimaginable cruelty in Syria – not for the first time - with the criticism over ‘dodgy dossiers’ being thrown about. Well, it’s not like that now, far from it.

There is no doubt whatsoever about the involvement of Russia and its long support for atrocities committed by Assad - there have been Russian bases there for years and they know everything there is to know about Assad’s intentions. Their presence is entirely strategic – they have no other legitimate interest in that country.

There comes a time when Humanity has get on its hind legs to face aggressors because otherwise they will never stop until it is impossible to resist them. I thought we had learned that many times in our illustrious history.
Totally agree - but some have very short memories - or no knowledge of history.
Old 14th April 2018, 22:52   #39
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Quite. He is only guessing the likely general locations of the subs like the rest of us.

Only NATO and the Russians will know the exact locations of our submarines.
Of course the Russians know, the majority of our subs are probably moored up down here in Devonport Dockyard or at Portsmouth waiting for something; money, fuel, mending, crew etc. And the Russians would already know all that anyway, it's on google maps for a start!

It's not exactly news there is probably a sub in the med there's probably one in the Atlantic too.
Old 15th April 2018, 07:03   #40
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
The first new carrier (QE2) might get a 'full' compliment of these aircraft soon (perhaps that's still up to 2 years away...) but I'll bet you my pension they will not be battle ready/capable - sea borne aircraft are notoriously difficult despite these very clever simulators.

Recent F-35 trials aboard the USS Wasp weren’t just an operational test for the United States Marine Corps, with much of the data produced being used to inform the USMC’s declaration of initial operating capability but also for the United Kingdom. article
Closed Thread