Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2018, 12:49   #1
bigsi32

MG ZT

Default Removing rear quarter waistline trim

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have recently bought an 06 plate MGZT CDTi. I bought it as a project car and there a number of jobs that need doing, I took it for MOT today and the only thing it failed on was the license plate bulb, on further inspection the bulb clamp has completely detached so I have ordered a new kit to fix that.

Anyway... one of the jobs is to replace the nearside rear quarter panel waistline trim as some how it has been bent out at the back. So question is, how on earth do it remove the old section, does it just prise off or is there another way?

Thanks in advance and I apologise in advance for the barrage of questions that will no doubt follow.

Si.
bigsi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 13:10   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i remember seeing that online.if it is in xpower grey.the back nearest the rear light is bolted on it will have two nuts inside the car under the side carpet the rest of is held on with clips
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-DYC101440

Last edited by suffolk boy; 8th May 2018 at 13:14..
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 14:15   #3
bigsi32

MG ZT

Thanks.

it is indeed grey.

According to the MOT guy I have got a lot of car for the money I paid, so am very Happy / relieved.

Ok, so back clip is still screwed in place, but the trim is not attached to it and if I remove the rear quarter carpet I can see the bolt, so if that has come away I need to just pull the rest off?

For refitting a new piece can I use existing bolt / clip if still intact, is there a special way of fitting it back to that clip?

Just trying to get my head around it.

Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 18:22   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the bolts are bonded to the rear of the trim and as such not available as a separate part .they are part of the trim.remove the nuts remove the trim if needed then bond the stud and base back on with a two part epoxy glue liquid steel was what i used on my ztt it stayed stuck for several years i was was till when i sold it
Old 11th May 2018, 07:27   #5
bigsi32

MG ZT

Well I did a bit of investigating yesterday and worked it out.

There are 2 bolts behind the boot carpet that undo and then 4 clips holding the rest of the trim on running to the back door. They just unclip or snap in my case. So the trim is off, I have found a set of clips on eBay so will order them, now just need to find a bit of replacement trim in X power grey.

It doesn’t seem at least on mine that the clips are bonded on, there are rails on the back of the trim and it seems the clips just slide up the rail until they line up with the holes in the body.

I will however be adding a bead of sealant around each clip before sticking it to the body to stop more leaks.
Old 11th May 2018, 18:51   #6
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

the clips are not bonded to the trim the bolts are i can assure you.this is due the the curve on the rear of the body a clip or a unbonded bolt will not hold it will pop out.