Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th May 2018, 20:48   #1
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Default My Xenons have beam adjustment, this isn't normal, right?

Hi, my ZT has Xenons retro fitted, I thought they were self levelling but it turns out that I can still adjust them using the scrolling wheel.

I don't know how the Xenons self level so am I safe to assume that this function doesn't work?

Sorry for all the posts, still discovering things about this car
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 20:54   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Better to have the adjustment on the wheel, the self levelling is pants at best!
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 21:17   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Hi, my ZT has Xenons retro fitted, I thought they were self levelling but it turns out that I can still adjust them using the scrolling wheel.

I don't know how the Xenons self level so am I safe to assume that this function doesn't work?

Sorry for all the posts, still discovering things about this car
Depending on the sensor (BMW part), for auto levelling you'll require either a front and rear suspension mounted pair or a rear only (which was fitted to very late cars, I think mid. 04-05). Each sensor position has a bracket/jumper loom/sender arm/clip assembly and and an appropriate light control unit for the dashboard (which doesn't have a scrolling wheel).
The sensor assemblies are fitted to the O/S at a fixed point on the chassis and on a front and/or rear suspension arm.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 22:15   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

someone probably swapped the original headlights out for xenon ones at some point, hence why you dont have self levelling. do you have headlamp washers?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 04:19   #5
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
someone probably swapped the original headlights out for xenon ones at some point, hence why you dont have self levelling. do you have headlamp washers?
I do not. I know the Xenons didn't come from the factory. By the sounds of it they sound like a pain so I'm glad
P-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 05:49   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
I do not. I know the Xenons didn't come from the factory. By the sounds of it they sound like a pain so I'm glad
I’ve had Xenon on every car I’ve owned since 2003, three cars in total and never even changed a bulb
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 09:30   #7
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Had Xenons on three cars. 2 x factory fit with auto adjust and one car I fitted them without the auto adjust. I did fit the washer system mind as I was told it was needed for the MOT (which I believe now is not entirely true). I have not had any bulbs go in any of these cars although the current car (factory fit) did have a headlamp adjust mechanism fail in the highest position so I changed it.

The auto adjust comes from two sensors on the front and rear suspension. If not looked after the brackets are probably well and truly corroded and the arms will be seized. I have changed the sensor arms on my current car.

I would not be without Xenons I think they look superb on these cars.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 09:38   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Fitted my factory Xenons 8 years ago, never had any mot issues in all that time, no self levelling, no wash I did change the burners from oem 4300K to 6000K though
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 09:58   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
I’ve had Xenon on every car I’ve owned since 2003, three cars in total and never even changed a bulb
it's not the burners that are the problem, generally they last the lift of the car, only come across a handful of instances where a burner began to fail. It's the self leveling on factory fitted models which is a pain as the sensors fail causing your headlights to point at the floor lol.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 10:17   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
Had Xenons on three cars. 2 x factory fit with auto adjust and one car I fitted them without the auto adjust. I did fit the washer system mind as I was told it was needed for the MOT (which I believe now is not entirely true). I have not had any bulbs go in any of these cars although the current car (factory fit) did have a headlamp adjust mechanism fail in the highest position so I changed it.

The auto adjust comes from two sensors on the front and rear suspension. If not looked after the brackets are probably well and truly corroded and the arms will be seized. I have changed the sensor arms on my current car.

I would not be without Xenons I think they look superb on these cars.
'What he said'. Mostly correct but I believe the (is it IE regulation?) which must go back about 15 years stipulates xenons should have self levelling to compensate for 'nominal loading height setting' since these improved performance lights will significantly dazzle oncoming drivers if aimed too high. That means some sort of electrical feedback to automatically lower the pre-set beam angle should the car have eg 4/5 weighty adults and 4 suitcases in the boot (for a saloon). The same regulation thought it a good idea to automatically wash the headlights too.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote