Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2018, 17:38   #131
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Are you referring to the KV6 engine Mike?
Which method are you using: with special tools, without (allegedly) special tools or Bodger Man's 'cutting the cambelt in half' method?

Simon
KV6, using the tools.
I know it's not possible to fit the tools with the locking pin in place unless the timing is EXACTLY spot on, or the wheels are slackened. In my case I had to slacken them as the timing was over a tooth out.

The whole job really is straight-forward once the theory is understood. And it has to be understood that one has to remove the locking pin to turn the engine so that the rear tool engages.

Most difficult job was fitting new exhaust cam seals, I gave up and fitted the old ones.
Old 29th May 2018, 18:26   #132
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
KV6, using the tools.
OK Mike, thanks very much. I think we're all agreed about using the tools. I am asking those few people who claim that it can be done without any special tools to explain their method. So far, no-one has.
Quote:
Most difficult job was fitting new exhaust cam seals, I gave up and fitted the old ones.
I did the same.

Simon
Old 29th May 2018, 19:09   #133
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
. And it has to be understood that one has to remove the locking pin to turn the engine so that the rear tool engages.
Have to say that's not the case You turn the exhaust cam using one end of the tool in the front end so that the rear tool engages ; you don't remove the locking pin .
Sorry for interrupting ……………...
Old 29th May 2018, 19:11   #134
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
OK Mike, thanks very much. I think we're all agreed about using the tools. I am asking those few people who claim that it can be done without any special tools to explain their method. So far, no-one has.

I did the same.

Simon

I have explained how to change the belts without any special tools, and then you come and claim that whatever you use to hold the sprocket to undo the bolt on the rear sprockets, is a "special tool".
Yes, then I admit, I cannot change the belts using my hands and teeth only.
Get your job done, or ask advice if you are stuck.
Old 29th May 2018, 19:20   #135
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Have the timing belts been changed yet ?
Old 29th May 2018, 19:46   #136
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
How low can this one go? A marathon thread and not enriching at all.

Time for closing me thinks before it descends any further

Agree completely !!

My first husband was the golf pro at Royal Birkdale for the duration of our marriage. Throughout his tenure he sneered and mocked and basically insulted anybody he felt like insulting. He got away with it for years because everybody was in awe of how good he was at golf. As he found out, there comes a time when people stop turning a blind eye to bullies and rudeness just because the person doing the bullying is good at something.

How long sd1too takes to change his belts is nobody's business but his. Nobody here knows his circumstances. Mocking him about it is bullying. The comment implying he doesn't have friends is bullying. Like it or not a lot of this thread is ugly old fashioned bullying.

Maybe people could just stick to the topic at hand or the mods could actually stop the popular kids from turning our club into a keyboard battlefield ??
Old 29th May 2018, 19:49   #137
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Russ. Unfortunately you haven't answered my specific questions.

Without special tools, how did you move and keep two sprockets at a precise position whilst fitting the toothed belt, keeping it tight, single handed?
Was the hydraulic tensioner engaged or disengaged from its pulley at this stage (you haven't made that clear)?

Simon
I thought it all sounded quite specific to me.
Do I really need to go into the finest detail about how to secure the belts as you feed them on to the engine? People have their own favourite methods of doing this, wedging it with packing, securing the belt to the camwheels with tie wraps (you can use pieces of the old belt to act as packing to ensure they don't cut into the new belt), sprung clothes pegs, bits of wood etc etc, why not experiment and find out what works best for you?
The Hydraulic tensioner was retracted and a suitable pin inserted, you can either do that by removing the hydrulic tensioner housing and compress it in a vice or alternatively by using the allen key cut out in the tensioner wheel to compress the tensioner, a bit awkward but doable.

Simon you seem all too eager to critisize people who have actually done the job without completing it yourself. Just because you can't see how it's done doesn't mean that it can't

And have you worked out the rear sprocket alignment problem yet?

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 29th May 2018 at 22:28.. Reason: spelling
Old 29th May 2018, 20:05   #138
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
We are discussing the Rover KV6 here Brian, not the Vectra or anything else.

Do you believe that the cambelts on a MGR KV6 can be renewed without using any special tools?

Are you referring to the KV6 engine Mike?
Which method are you using: with special tools, without (allegedly) special tools or Bodger Man's 'cutting the cambelt in half' method?

Simon
Simon, one timing belt is much the same as the last, you were asking me to describe the theory and whether I'd seen it with my own eyes, nothing more.

In terms of the KV6, you have to remember I own the actual Rover tools, not a set of cheapo Laser or Sealey ones, so I've never had to the job without the tools.

However this is where you and I differ, I could if necessary do the job without the actual tooling, all I would need is a straight edge, a chinagraph pencil, pop rivet, 5mm drill bit and a couple of cut down M10 bolts with a taper lead in ground onto them.

I don't need to go into specifics, that would be far too long winded and I know you are not a fan of "essays"

Can you work out the method?, anyone wishing to do the job can do so without too much difficulty, if not, then perhaps you are not quite as clever as you think

Brian
Old 29th May 2018, 20:10   #139
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
Agree completely !!

My first husband was the golf pro at Royal Birkdale for the duration of our marriage. Throughout his tenure he sneered and mocked and basically insulted anybody he felt like insulting. He got away with it for years because everybody was in awe of how good he was at golf. As he found out, there comes a time when people stop turning a blind eye to bullies and rudeness just because the person doing the bullying is good at something.

How long sd1too takes to change his belts is nobody's business but his. Nobody here knows his circumstances. Mocking him about it is bullying. The comment implying he doesn't have friends is bullying. Like it or not a lot of this thread is ugly old fashioned bullying.

Maybe people could just stick to the topic at hand or the mods could actually stop the popular kids from turning our club into a keyboard battlefield ??
This is just not cricket.
Bringing your mom to bash us in is unfair
Old 29th May 2018, 20:37   #140
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
Agree completely !!

Sasha, what you must realise here is one thing and one thing only, Simon only has himself to blame, he has dug himself a hole so big there is no way of climbing out while saving face

He has repeatedly dissed the real life experiences of others far more skilled than himself, while claiming to be so much more superior than anyone else when it comes to maintaining his own car.

Repeatedly he's shown his absolute disdain for anyone who has the audacity to make a living from repairing cars, or indeed being a member of the motor trade in any capacity, that is before you get anywhere near the dismissal of the servicing recommendations laid down by the manufacturer, after all what did they know

It is one thing if you can back up these claims with actual substance, the people he so easily dismisses with a wave of his hand can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
This is just not cricket.
Bringing your mom to bash us in is unfair
And with a golf bat too, if I was of a more suspicious nature, I might think 75c was a cover identity for someone completely different

Brian
Closed Thread