Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2018, 16:14   #71
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

This really isnt the best way to do it.

What you want is as I said before, to spray it into the re-circ intake, so the fan blows it into all the nooks and crannies of the matrix.

Otherwise, you are trying to spray stuff from the side into the matrix, this is not optimal, and is more hassle.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 18:09   #72
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
This really isnt the best way to do it.

What you want is as I said before, to spray it into the re-circ intake, so the fan blows it into all the nooks and crannies of the matrix.

Otherwise, you are trying to spray stuff from the side into the matrix, this is not optimal, and is more hassle.
See my immediate previous post. Is the recirculation vent in the passenger footwell? If it's as I described, do I insert the 60cm long foam distribution tube horizontally into the vent as far as it will go and just squirt for about 5 seconds worth of foam?
I've tried the tube down the passenger side centre face level vent and it seems to go about 40cm but Ihave also got it to go the full length so which is correct for reaching the matrix?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 18:25   #73
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Passenger footwell, then up to the right diagonally, massive vent with a plastic grill. You cannot miss it. You need to take off the fuse box cover below the glove box.

Do not insert the tube far, otherwise it will get sucked into the fan and then you will have bits of tube floating about and potentially a damaged fan.

Just poke it in about 1-2", with a torch you will see where the blower is anyway.

Its Silverhook the brand, and its cheap enough at Rimmers.

They do a "bomb" do not get this, get the proper foam.

What I do is put A/C on cold, re-circ, full blast, then spray into the opening for 5 (long) seconds. Keep it running for 20secs. Then switch off, leave for 10-20 mins, repeat the process, then run it on hot A/C recirc for a while to evaporate off the chemicals.

After fine tuning my method, the above was done on my old car, and the A/C was still fresh after 2 years. I would call that job done, and a success.

The instructions on the canister talk about intake vents and air filters etc, but for 99% of the cars, this is irrelevant, and the issue is of course the matrix, unless the car has had smelly plenum issues, but if it got that bad, you have bigger problems than a smelly A/C.

No point wasting time and foam spraying it all around, when the smells are caused by the matrix in almost every case.

Last edited by T16; 11th June 2018 at 18:29..
Old 11th June 2018, 18:30   #74
RattyB
Regular poster

Rover 75

Is this what I'm looking for? It does not look or sound like the recirc intake as described on this thread. I've taken it off and there isn't anything that looks like six screws in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Passenger footwell, then up to the right diagonally, massive vent with a plastic grill. You cannot miss it. You need to take off the fuse box cover below the glove box.

Do not insert the tube far, otherwise it will get sucked into the fan and then you will have bits of tube floating about and potentially a damaged fan.

Just poke it in about 1-2", with a torch you will see where the blower is anyway.

Its Silverhook the brand, and its cheap enough at Rimmers.

They do a "bomb" do not get this, get the proper foam.

What I do is put A/C on cold, re-circ, full blast, then spray into the opening for 5 (long) seconds. Keep it running for 20secs. Then switch off, leave for 10-20 mins, repeat the process, then run it on hot A/C recirc for a while to evaporate off the chemicals.

After fine tuning my method, the above was done on my old car, and the A/C was still fresh after 2 years. I would call that job done, and a success.

The instructions on the canister talk about intake vents and air filters etc, but for 99% of the cars, this is irrelevant, and the issue is of course the matrix, unless the car has had smelly plenum issues.

No point wasting time and foam spraying it all around, when the smells are caused by the matrix in almost every case.
RattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 18:32   #75
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

That is not what you are looking for.

That is the footwell exit vent.

See my instructions above.
Old 11th June 2018, 18:45   #76
RattyB
Regular poster

Rover 75

Found it after much contortion in the floorwell! Then I had to turn the air on with recirc so the foam backed flap moved out of the way
RattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 19:02   #77
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Default Glad you found the recirculation vent.

The plastic vent you photographed is removed by unscrewing the posidrive screw and lifting the vent away- this then allows removal of the carpet from behind the vent and it is now that you see the evaporator side cover held on by six screws.
Removing the bottom four enables the cover to be lifted away enough that the evaporator can be seen and accessed quite easily from here. I held the cover away using a screwdriver handle at the cover bottom.
Both front and rear faces of the evaporator can be treated from here...

Last edited by bigblue75; 11th June 2018 at 19:07..
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 20:02   #78
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Put it this way, the one I have has three holes at the bottom that spray out.

Trying to coat a matrix with foam going in all directions would be like hearding angry Wasps.

For me it was far easier to let the blower suck it in and then blow it evenly all over the matrix. I stand by my method as it worked great for me :p
Old 11th June 2018, 23:44   #79
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Gonna have to try this, pleased to find out my aircon works, less pleased to find it makes my car smell like a rugby changing room!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 17:40   #80
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue75 View Post
The plastic vent you photographed is removed by unscrewing the posidrive screw and lifting the vent away- this then allows removal of the carpet from behind the vent and it is now that you see the evaporator side cover held on by six screws.
Removing the bottom four enables the cover to be lifted away enough that the evaporator can be seen and accessed quite easily from here. I held the cover away using a screwdriver handle at the cover bottom.
Both front and rear faces of the evaporator can be treated from here...
Great instructions Joe, thank you. I’ve successfully treated my evaporator this afternoon.

Simon