Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th July 2018, 22:23   #131
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I happen to think Starlight Primertallic is the best antidote to owning a car with an actual colour

Having said that what I wouldn't give to have a nice manual 1800 turbo

I've no idea what you mean Alan

Brian
Old 25th July 2018, 22:33   #132
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Redmaestro posted up looking for advice regards a coolant leak from his thermostat housing on a V6, he has been given expert advice from the Traders who have vast experience on repairing these cars on a regular basis, not just one car but hundreds, this includes a man who is an expert in thermoplastics.

I would be inclined to take heed of this advice.

Earlier in the year i read an article in Car Mechanics, one of the contributors Andrew Everett bought an 2004 E46 3 series from the auction and it had a coolant leak, he said the plastic coolant pipes fell to pieces when carefully removing them, he remarked it was due to the heat/cooling cycles they have gone through over the cars life and remarked how even a slight weepage from these plastic coolant pipes almost certainly results in new replacements having to be sourced, over the years plastic does degrade and a fracture of a plastic coolant pipe can be catastrophic to any engine.

The OP has been offered two conflicting views regards his coolant leak, hopefully after reading all the posts he will make the right decision.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:01   #133
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Graham1961,

As a moderator, could you tell us whether or not a member is permitted to post a quote containing words which the author did not write and which reverses the meaning of that quote?

Simon
Old 26th July 2018, 08:04   #134
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Graham1961,

As a moderator, could you tell us whether or not a member is permitted to post a quote containing words which the author did not write and which reverses the meaning of that quote?

Simon
Simon, why don't you cheer yourself up?, if you are so offended I can change it back for you

Or otherwise get back to the debate, it was a joke, but you seem to have taken it far to personally, I must have hit a raw nerve perhaps?

Brian
Old 26th July 2018, 08:56   #135
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1961 View Post
Redmaestro posted up looking for advice regards a coolant leak from his thermostat housing on a V6, he has been given expert advice from the Traders who have vast experience on repairing these cars on a regular basis, not just one car but hundreds, this includes a man who is an expert in thermoplastics.

I would be inclined to take heed of this advice.

Earlier in the year i read an article in Car Mechanics, one of the contributors Andrew Everett bought an 2004 E46 3 series from the auction and it had a coolant leak, he said the plastic coolant pipes fell to pieces when carefully removing them, he remarked it was due to the heat/cooling cycles they have gone through over the cars life and remarked how even a slight weepage from these plastic coolant pipes almost certainly results in new replacements having to be sourced, over the years plastic does degrade and a fracture of a plastic coolant pipe can be catastrophic to any engine.

The OP has been offered two conflicting views regards his coolant leak, hopefully after reading all the posts he will make the right decision.

I would tell redmaestro just to replace the four O rings as per SD1's advice.

That's all it can possibly be!
However he'll have a less than 10% chance of getting all 3 plastics out without them breaking leaving the stubs in the engine block.

That's the gospel truth because Simon said 🤣👍🍺

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Old 26th July 2018, 09:17   #136
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
You’re not paying attention Jules. The whole point of my contribution to this thread was to draw attention to the correct positioning of the clips on the straight pipe.
Quote:
However he'll have a less than 10% chance of getting all 3 plastics out without them breaking leaving the stubs in the engine block.
Jules; don’t assume that because you haven’t achieved it, no one else can. I repeat that I have never broken any of my three plastic parts except for the curved pipe on the very first attempt. I quickly learnt from my mistake.

Simon
Old 26th July 2018, 09:17   #137
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

That's all it can possibly be!

That's the gospel truth because Simon said 🤣👍🍺
I would imagine he would be doing the job twice, if replacing the O rings was a satisfactory long term repair, fair enough, but plastic does go brittle and to me, replacing the pipes would make sense as you and Brian/Trikey have advised the OP to do.

However it is the OPs decision what he does, one is a gamble, the other a peace of mind.
Old 26th July 2018, 09:45   #138
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
You’re not paying attention Jules. The whole point of my contribution to this thread was to draw attention to the correct positioning of the clips on the straight pipe.

Jules; don’t assume that because you haven’t achieved it, no one else can. I repeat that I have never broken any of my three plastic parts except for the curved pipe on the very first attempt. I quickly learnt from my mistake.

Simon
That's because your case is the other 10% Simon !!
Even if I did manage to extract an elbow in one piece I still wouldn't reuse it incase there's an undetectable hairline crack.

A few hundred KV6's have passed through our workshops and we are not going to change our routine Simon.
We don't get repeat comebacks for the same fault.

That's all that matters to me 😉😎🍺

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Old 26th July 2018, 19:14   #139
marinabrian

MG ZT

Here we have a picture of Simon's displaying his o ring problem........

Now Simon claims this to be caused by movement in the thermostat housing, well I only wished I had seen this picture before replying to his absolutely incorrect diagnosis.

What has caused this failure is simple, this o ring has acquired compression set, no ifs buts or arguments.

This is caused by the o ring material being in contact with a chemical substance which has altered its structure.

Now I suspect this has been fitted incorrectly, probably lubricated with something containing a substance incompatible with the elastomer, as the only time I've seen an O ring this badly degraded before, it had been fitted to a four cylinder k series upper coolant rail with LM grease

It is not caused by abrasion, as the o ring would not have failed with only the outer radius of the o ring displaying wear, but in this picture it is clear to see that the elastomer has swollen to fill the entire space available and suffered compression set.

Chemical changes occur to an o ring which result in set, and the cross link density of the elastomer increases.

This results in the o ring losing its elasticity and it's ability to return back to the original shape, and this is a permanent chemical change.

This reduction in cross section results in a lower contact sealing force, which increases the risk of leakage in systems where thermal and pressure cycling occurs.

So there you have it Simon, your o rings have been in contact with a substance that they are not compatible with, it's not as you thought anything whatsoever to do with movement.

Brian

P.S. the reason the grooves in the straight section of pipe are wider then the Herbie clips, is to allow the clips to be removed without damage, which of course is absolutely contrary to your findings, they are completely reusable
Old 26th July 2018, 19:25   #140
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:

Simon
Simon, the positioning of the clips on the pipe are completely immaterial, and are not a contributary factor to the failure of the o rings on your own car.

So why not stop pretending to be cleverer than everyone else, because you are not, and to pursue this line of thought will make you look very silly indeed

Brian
Closed Thread