Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th July 2018, 16:33   #11
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool It might seem a lot to some, but.........................

...................................... That's the first time I have driven past the junction for the M4 and continued on the M5 Northwards. Came off and onto the A38, I've seen that number before somewhere.

I left at 1pm, Miichael had reckoned on arriving between 1600 & 1700, so I thought I would arrive about the same time. When and got the Bear a drink and set off, the Saltash tunnel is not as much fun as the Holmes or even the Dartford tunnels, you have to trickle through at 30mph, not any time to even blip the loud pedal.

Still raining as we crossed the Tamar and all the way to Exeter. Lots of spray with lots of idiots just with their DRL's on. But the Bear ate up the miles safely. There's a lovely bit of winding road as you go up Haldon Hill. Windows down and listen to her growling, well till the idiot in the Lexus pulled to overtake nothing, nothing for him to overtake, but the Bear just dropped down a notch and carried on growling.

Onto the M5 and the rain eased, before finally stopping altogether. So from the Honition turn off and right up to Gloucester it was dry and sunny, in places. We hit our first hold up at Taunton and then continued at a reduced pace as far as Bristol then back to normal. Got a thumbs up from a poverty spec Ford Mustang, just a 2.3 model. The driver shouted across, whilst we were stopped, "I had one of them V8's but I bought this instead so the MG had to go. Wish I hadn't sold it now. This ain't the same". And with that I was gone.

Took the ring road round Gloucester and headed towards Ledbury on the A417. Then some soul turned the tap back on and it tipped it down. But we was humming along ok, till we caught up with oldest horse box going. Got stuck behind for about 15 miles.
But soon past Eastnor Castle and into Ledbury High Street. It's a bit tight turning in from the direction I had come from but a quick spin round and we crept quietly down the passage towards our parking space. Vert tight car park but we foun a space ok.

Booked in, my room is lush. Huge wooden bed, with a very soft mattress, there's even a Teddy Bear on the bed. How did they know? Then there is white leather 2 seater settee plus two non matching chairs. I have fresh fruit, sweets, chocolate. There is fresh mineral water, and a Tassimo coffee machine. Not forgetting the tea division, lots of flavoured tes as well. The bathroom is huge. Bath with the shower over the top.
We have a flat screen telly in the room.

I phoned Laura at 16.40 to find out where they were, about 40 minutes away. They had stopped for lunch on the way.
So now I'm just having some tea whils I wait for them to turn up.

Seems strange being here. Last time was with My Val.
Val spent her school holidays in Red Marley, about 5 miles back, at her Grandma's farm. Michael used to go to the farm as well but unlike Val he would rather walk to town than do any work on the farm.
Lots of fond memories here for me. I hope to have a wander around later.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 21:19   #12
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool A most enjoyable..............

....................................... Evening spent with my 'family'.

The gang arrived about 45 minutes after me, they had stopped for lunch and a train trip on the Cheltenham to Toddington steam railway. Why am I not surprised there then. So we rendezvoued in my room, which turned out to be the better of the three. I actually have a suite style room. I did offer to swap, well I mumbled the swap.

We agreed to meet down in reception at 19.30 for dinner. But Michael and I decided to go and have a wander. Ledbury is full of character, lots of little alleys to explore, fine old Tudor buildings, and the occasional pub. We had a swift 'Alf in the Seven Stars.
We found a lovely Olde Worlde watering hole up a cobbled side street towards the church, but time was marching on towards dinner. We started back towards the hotel when we met Laura who was looking for a supermarket that sold bath salts. Strange!!

She went towards a supermarket next to a shop that was at sometime in it's life a "Woolworths" but now it was called 'Wellworth it'.
Michael and I returned to the hotel to change ready for the time to graze.
We duly met at 19.30, well 3 of us did. Laura was late.
Soon seated in the Fuggles restaurant and food and wine ordered. Lots of banter was exchanged. Laura and Ollie announced that they are renting a flat in Chalk Farm, North London. How strange for that was well my Val lived with her first husband.

I shall be making a small contribution towards there new home, just my way of helping them onto the property ladder. But ssshhh!!! As I have not told them yet.
With food consumed and the booze drunk we made plans to meet for breakfast at 07.30 in the morning. Laura and Ollie seemed to be unware that there are two 7.30's in a day.

Strange thing is I feel so relaxed, no tension. Really feeling a difference in myself. Be ok till I fall up some stairs again...................

Night night.

onen hag oll
Old 30th July 2018, 11:49   #13
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

That sounds like a fantastic trip Bob.

Enjoy, I'd love the factory tour,
Old 30th July 2018, 12:07   #14
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

My father has a BRG V8 Morgan, it's a lovely thing and makes a very lovely noise but it's about the scariest thing I've ever driven! Not because of the power or handling more the complete lack of roll over safety equipment - oh, and because if I even slightly scratched it I would be excommunicated
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 12:55   #15
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

A couple of years ago I went with a group of fiends on the Morgan factory tour; can't recommend it highly enough - well worth doing if you're in the area.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 20:02   #16
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Shattered

I'll post up my report tomorrow, I'm too tired tonight.
But,
The Bear done good on the journey home.
180 miles from Malvern to Saltash in 3 & half hours. I had one stop for food.
And
I still have fuel, just on the half tank.

onen hag oll
Old 1st August 2018, 07:50   #17
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Photo's

The day was long, wet and I did not really enjoy it much. However I would do it again but not with my family. Too many disagreements. I did not like it when Ollie drove at reckless speeds in the wet with no regard for his or my niece's safety. He thought it would be fun to race me when I overtook him in the Bear, I had to go to 110mph to get past. He scared the **** out of my niece.

When we stopped she was sick and he got to see my angry side. I threatened him that if he done that again I would punch him. He behaved after that. But it took him all day to apologise to us all.

We only had one car and I volunteered to be the chase car providing when we got to Hereford I could drive the Morgan on my own for 1 hour, and that didn't go to plan either.
But I did drive the roller skate but Michael insisted on coming with me. Not the best of drives. It rained and I refused to stop and put the hood up, mainly because by the time I had got myself out of the car it would be nearly Christmas. They are not the easiest cars to get in and out of especially if you are a wee bit on the tubby side.

Driving the Morgan is an experience that is worth trying. Sitting that far back is a challenge when turning, the brakes feel as if they are not going to stop you in time, you cannot see out of the mirrors when driving due to the harshness of the ride and the handbrake is a nightmare to put on or release. And as for the radio, which is slung under the dash but fitted to the front bulkhead.
Other than that the gear change is smooth, the power is there when you need it and the sound of the exhaust is great, not as good as the Bear's though.

Anyway here is a few photo's of the day.
Starting with my Niece Laura, then our hotel, Ledbury church, It was Woolworths and my room at the hotel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8258.jpg (138.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8251.jpg (139.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8248.jpg (140.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8243.jpg (143.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8254.jpg (135.8 KB, 18 views)

onen hag oll
Old 1st August 2018, 07:56   #18
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

What colour would you say the Morgan is?
Ollie and Michael going for a ride.
Me looking down the bonnet whilst behind the wheel, stationary of course.
The dials in front of you are the temperature and fuel gauges.
Speedo is far left then Rev counter, you can just see the handbrake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8271.jpg (139.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8272.jpg (137.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8273.jpg (140.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8274.jpg (137.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8275.jpg (137.5 KB, 14 views)

onen hag oll
Old 1st August 2018, 08:01   #19
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Our car striking a pose.
Michael trying to get out.
Both powered by Ford.
Ollie and Laura.
Waiting to go home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8281.jpg (143.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8284.jpg (142.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8292.jpg (137.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8309.jpg (137.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8311.jpg (139.3 KB, 16 views)

onen hag oll