Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th August 2018, 22:04   #1
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Default Which garage floor paint?

Hi guys, my garage is nearly finished and soon I'll be able to work on my Rover indoors, pure luxury!
Concrete floor has been down 10 days and I think after a month I can paint it. I'm thinking about an epoxy paint and am wondering if any of my forum friends have done this recently and can recommend a product.
Opinions guys?
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 23:45   #2
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart2050 View Post
Hi guys, my garage is nearly finished and soon I'll be able to work on my Rover indoors, pure luxury!

Concrete floor has been down 10 days and I think after a month I can paint it. I'm thinking about an epoxy paint and am wondering if any of my forum friends have done this recently and can recommend a product.

Opinions guys?

From many years of painting concrete plant room floors in many public buildings, I have found that McPhersons floor paint was the best in our plant rooms we used to have the full floor painted Grey with the walkways painted Red. Their paint was a fair price, gave good coverage and was hard wearing.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 10:17   #3
reclamation ray
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON AUTO

I used a cheap laminate flooring with underlay and find it warm to kneel on even in the winter without any heating. It is also very easy to keep clean. Plus you don`t have to wait for the paint to dry, you can walk/work on it straight away.
reclamation ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 14:29   #4
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by reclamation ray View Post
I used a cheap laminate flooring with underlay and find it warm to kneel on even in the winter without any heating. It is also very easy to keep clean. Plus you don`t have to wait for the paint to dry, you can walk/work on it straight away.
Do you run car on the laminate, will it not crush it ?
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 15:05   #5
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
From many years of painting concrete plant room floors in many public buildings, I have found that McPhersons floor paint was the best in our plant rooms we used to have the full floor painted Grey with the walkways painted Red. Their paint was a fair price, gave good coverage and was hard wearing.
Alan

Do you recommend any surface preparation or products to use before painting the cement floor?
I have used Armstead (Akzonobel) floor paint on recommendation, but it just flaked off after a few months. My cement floor is quite smooth in appearance, perhaps this is the issue?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 19:10   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I looked into this a few years back and recall most concrete floor paints specified some sort of surficant pre-treatment. Sorry can't recall any brand names etc. but the stuff we ended up using was a clear liquid that was soft floorbrushed onto the concrete - it fizzed more or less a soon as it hit the surface and I think this was cleaning /neutralising the alkalies in the concrete. When dry, it left a clear smooth coating, it's this that you laid the paint onto with a roller.
Some paints claim to have this surficant already in them so it's just a single application process.
Sorry I don't have the details but I'm sure Google can help find the right stuff for your floor.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 22:10   #7
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Carpet tiles, when you drop a nut/washer etc it wont ping off under the nearest fixed object, they are a lot warmer to kneel on and are fairly cheap.
Old 30th August 2018, 00:01   #8
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Do you recommend any surface preparation or products to use before painting the cement floor?

I have used Armstead (Akzonobel) floor paint on recommendation, but it just flaked off after a few months. My cement floor is quite smooth in appearance, perhaps this is the issue?

The only surface prep we used to do was brushing the dust off before painting. Was just thinking back to one of our plant rooms it took 75 litres of paint to cover the full floor the last time it was painted it was done by pouring the paint on the floor then using a new sweeping brush the paint was brushed about. That time we used 5 litres more paint than with the heavy roller but we got a fantastic finish.
Just to up set everyone when I built our house 23 years ago I painted the garage and workshop floors. Then a few months later work had bought in an event carpet. After the event it was to be skipped both the Garage and workshop got 10mm underlay and carpet fitted wall to wall. It’s liking a bit grubby in places now but it meant the midget had a nice warm bed. The remainder of the carpet was donated to the local rehoming centre. Enough to do a dozen flats or so better that than land fill. Besides it meant one of my boys doing a few runs in the van, much cheeper than hiring a skip or three. A carpet and underlay bought in for a one week event.
Reminds me of the best one when a small pair of dance studios were booked out for a carpeted event again one week finishing at 6pm on the Friday, some intelligent person had booked the two studios out from 7pm that night for steep classes. Needless to say the classes took place in the main foyer that night. My engineers got several hours over time that night the event organisers had stuck the carpet down with spray tack on to a sprung wood floor. The carpet was hessian backed so came up ok 450m2 went to the rehoming centre and given to those in need. But we had to use solvent to remove the adhesive from the floor before giving it a good buff up with brown machine pads then two coats of hisolids emulsion floor polish. A good nights work was had by all .

alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 06:38   #9
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

I used Leyland Trade Heavy Duty floor paint from Screwfix on the concrete floor in my garage
https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-t...5ltr/86567#_=p

Gave it two coats maybe 10 years ago and it's still looking ok. And this is walked/worked on pretty much daily
Paul
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 15:30   #10
reclamation ray
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON AUTO

Walter, sorry for not replying earlier have been busy washing polishing the cars. I run both cars onto laminate floor and also use my trolley jack to do running repairs etc. I have had this floor down now for 3 years and it does get some abuse but have had no issues what so ever.
reclamation ray is offline   Reply With Quote