Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2018, 08:23   #41
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Isn't the DOT code something that is explained widely in the UK? I think I learned about DOT before I learned how to replace spark plugs?

The first number is the week of the year, the second one is the year itself. 0518 would be the 5th week of 2018.
Before 2000 the DOT number was a little bit different, but you're not very likely to see any tyres with such an old DOT number.

Replacing the tyres have nothing to do with age. Tyres that have been in storage and conditioned properly can be in perfect health after 7 or 8 years. Ask any manufacturer.
I've written an article for the Pro Detailer Magazine Nr 1 2017 about cleaning and maintaining tyres. I had an interview with Vredestein to gather info. They taught me it has nothing to do with age, it has to do with wear and tear. Either from improper care (99% of the people don't look after their tyres) or simply from to little profile left on the tyre. I asked Hankook Tyres to confirm the claim by Vredestein, and they agreed with it.

For you info, my DOT codes all around are 1611 on my tyres, and they passed every test I threw at them. Even the MOT-tester agreed there is no reason at all for replacing them yet.
Old 5th September 2018, 09:04   #42
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Well that may be your choice, please do not drive anywhere near me
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 09:13   #43
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
Obviously modern tyre compounds are light years away from that of the past and their performance is far superior in all areas, but I'm not convinced they last as long. Do all the additives they put in now effect their service life???

My ZTT has Chinese black rings of death on the back that are only four years old. Not put on by me I hasten to add! Anyway, they are awful, being noisy and dangerous in the wet. Thing is, the tread feels rock hard and they just look like typical old and well used tyres. They'll be coming off before my car returns to the road that's for sure.

Stashed away in the bowels of my shed is a set of Pirelli P7f from the early 90s and some Michelin TRX of the same era. These are all part worn and have been in storage for years and none of them actually show cracks or degradation of any sort. They are a bit harder than they once were but to all tense and purposes seem absolutely fine. I do plan on putting the Michelin's to light use eventually, but if they start to show signs of their age in use, that will be the end of the line. This is only due to the weird metric size being unavailable for years and the alternative being over £300 per corner, when available. I'll need to do some saving!
Static/unloaded and in a cool, probably shaded/dark dry storage zone doesn't represent the normal life of a tyre. They usually 'live and work' in a harsh environment exposed to all sorts of chemical nasties and wide range of extremes whilst in 'normal' use.
If just you and the wife only potter about the country lanes for a few 100 miles of pleasure motoring in your cosseted modern classic during our summer months each year a bit of cracking is not going to be an issue just so long as there is at least 3-4mm of proper tread remaining on your tyres.
Anything else in the way of motoring, common sense prevails - safety.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 09:33   #44
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Cleaning your tyres.

Here is a little snip bit on how to clean your tyres from the net, this in no means that you do not need to change them through age or wear, remember these little bits of rubber are what keep your car on the road, they stop you from going into an hedge, ditch or even crashing or should do if in decent condition.

What Do You Need
  • A clean large bucket
  • High pressure water hose
  • Special tyre cleaner solutions
These solutions are usually available at local hardware stores or at a tyre retailer as they act as degreasers. Popular cleaners include Wheel Mist’s or Wolfgang Tyre & Wheel Cleaner. Do make sure you read the instructions on the cleaning solution as some solutions are intended for tyres only. You may not be able to use them on tyre rims or on coated wheels.
  • Tyre cleaner brushes
Choose a soft bristled brush for the wheels and a contoured tyre brush to really scrub the rubber out. Brands like Montana Original Bear’s hair wheel brush and Mothers’ Contoured Tyre brush are ideal.
  • Detailing towels
Microfibre detailing towels are excellent as they can wick away water and grease without leaving fibres and stains on the metal and rubber.
  • Clean dry cloth
  • Wax protectant and waxing cloth
Wheel protectant wax is available with several companies. You can use any brand you want and the wax is similar to car wax. Some companies also provide a waxing cloth along with the wax. If you do not have a separate waxing cloth, buy a chamois cloth to complete the job.
  • Tyre dressing solution and cloth
Tyre dressings are available in a range of different compositions. Make sure you choose one of the latest brands as they create semi-shiny matt looks that protect the tyre rubber.
Cleaning, Detailing, Polishing Your Tyres – How To
Step #1
Collect your goods and park your car in a well-ventilated and clean area. Always clean tyres before you have cleaned and dried your car. This will prevent any splash back on a clean car and a repeat cleaning. Make sure you have everything ready and keep water ready to start cleaning the tyres. At this time, make sure you also read all the instructions on the cleaner solutions you will be using.

Step #2
Start with water blasting of the dirty tyres. The most common dark brown deposit on top of the tyres will be brake dust that will collect and solidify on top of the tyre. Use a high-pressure hose to soften and blast off any dust and grime from the wheel rim, wheel well and the tyres. Apply the degreaser or cleaner solution to the tyres and let it sit to loosen the gunk.

Step #3
Use the soft bristled brush to clean the rim and the hard bristled brush to clean dirt from the wheels. Scrub well and rinse down as much as possible to wash away as much dirt as possible. Use a soft microfiber detailing cloth to dry the tyre and the rim. Try not to use cotton or synthetic cloth, as they will not absorb all the water. This may cause wet spots that will prevent the solutions from working on the wheel.

Step #4
Wait until your tyres dry completely and then wax your tyres the same way you would wax your car. Use the wax pad that comes with the wax box and apply the paste on to the car. Polish the tyre the same way as you would your car and let the paste dry. This paste will protect your tyre and prevent dirt and mud from sticking to it. It will also ensure that your wheels look cleaner for as long as possible. Remember to wipe off excess wax paste as it can damage the wheel by causing discolorations and dark spots.

Step #5
Dress your tyres with a tyre dressing. Tyre dressings are water-based solutions that are designed to protect your tyres and make them appear delightfully new. The dressing is usually in the form of a spray. Follow instructions on the bottle and apply the tyre dressing. Apply two to three different coats and let it dry in-between coats. Wait for the dressing to dry completely before you take the car out for a drive.
Now that you have completed cleaning and dressing your tyre, you should know that this would decrease cleaning time on the next tyre wash. You do not need to do the whole scrubbing, waxing and dressing process as a lesser amount of dirt will be found on the tyre. Repeat this process once in two months and your tyres will appear brighter and cleaner. They will also last you for a longer time due to the increased maintenance.
In the end, it all comes down to a simple fact: Be nice to your tyres, try to clean them occasionally; after all, they are the elements of your car that actually get you around.
10 Nov 2016

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 09:52   #45
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Step #2
Start with water blasting of the dirty tyres. The most common dark brown deposit on top of the tyres will be brake dust that will collect and solidify on top of the tyre. Use a high-pressure hose to soften and blast off any dust and grime from the wheel rim, wheel well and the tyres. Apply the degreaser or cleaner solution to the tyres and let it sit to loosen the gunk.
I'm not sure that I would want to be aiming a pressure washer at either my tyres or wheels, certainly not a close range nor use a degreaser as surely they will attack the rubber as a lot of them are petroleum distillate based.

I always do my tyres and wheels last with the soapy water that is left over from washing the rest of the car.

I don't like these tyre shine products as shiny tyres look just wrong - I normally use Armorol tyre foam as this leaves them clean and natural looking.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 10:20   #46
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure that I would want to be aiming a pressure washer at either my tyres or wheels, certainly not a close range nor use a degreaser as surely they will attack the rubber as a lot of them are petroleum distillate based

I always do my tyres and wheels last with the soapy water that is left over from washing the rest of the car.

I don't like these tyre shine products as shiny tyres look just wrong - I normally use Armorol tyre foam as this leaves them clean and natural looking.

Hi Kelvin
I think the author which is not me maybe refers to a normal house hold hose, and not a jet wash, the blasting could have been presented better I suppose, if a home jet was to be used it should be turned down on the pressure or maybe stand further away.

Degreaser I would hope mean as you say soapy water or at least a solution that is ok for the tyres.

Tyre shine again not for me but I did know of a member long past that used hair gel on his tyres, they sort of had a mat sheen on them

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 13:10   #47
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Quote:
I am uploading the this thread because today I ordered some new tyres for my FL2 while searching for the same tyres I have on now, I came across the link below which decodes the age of your tyres.

The Dot code will be on the side wall either on the outside of the tyre or on the inside four digits example 0518.

Hope this helps, according to the decoder tyres are supposed to be changed after 6 years regardless of how many miles they have done.

After 10 years they are extremely hazardous.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder
Much thanks for this. My tyres are 5 years old and still nowhere near to the legal minimum on the rears. What a waste even if I swop the fronts with the rears now.

Last edited by deltic08; 5th September 2018 at 13:14..
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 13:18   #48
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I'm not sure that I would want to be aiming a pressure washer at either my tyres or wheels, certainly not a close range nor use a degreaser as surely they will attack the rubber as a lot of them are petroleum distillate based.

Your tyres can withstand a lot more then a household pressure washer can throw at it. But it still not needed to keep it close to the tyre. The pressure washer is just there to rinse off the soap/water/dirt mixture you get from cleaning. I also hope the author refers to a proper degreaser, and not some agressive household product that shouldn't even come close to the car. Proper degreaser are much kinder and less agressive without compromising the effect it has on dirt and grime. Nonetheless, a dedicated tyre cleaner from a proper brand will still perform a lot better. One of the best tested ones at the moment is Tufshine Tyrecleaner.

Funny you mention tyre foam, this recipe is based on the use of solvents, which actually agressive damage the upper layer of your rubber. A decent water-based tyre-dressing will leave cleaned rubber looking mat or satin at most. If it's shiny you either applied to much or didn't wipe it afterwards (which is sometimes done on purpose unfortunately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Well that may be your choice, please do not drive anywhere near me
Don't worry, if you don't maintain and clean your tyres regularly I wouldn't even wanna come anywhere close to you .
Old 5th September 2018, 13:25   #49
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
You can buy tyres for the much older vehicles such as Morris 8's etc but they are expensive.
A chap I know who has a Rover P4 bought new tyres and they were very expensive compared to buying tyres for my MG ZT-T.

To give you idea take a look at this website; https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla.../rover/p4.html

So you can see why some are reluctant to buy new tyres.
Eye-watering!
Old 5th September 2018, 13:53   #50
deltic08
Avid contributor

Quote:
Here is a little snip bit on how to clean your tyres from the net, this in no means that you do not need to change them through age or wear, remember these little bits of rubber are what keep your car on the road, they stop you from going into an hedge, ditch or even crashing or should do if in decent condition.

What Do You Need
  • A clean large bucket
  • High pressure water hose
  • Special tyre cleaner solutions
These solutions are usually available at local hardware stores or at a tyre retailer as they act as degreasers. Popular cleaners include Wheel Mist’s or Wolfgang Tyre & Wheel Cleaner. Do make sure you read the instructions on the cleaning solution as some solutions are intended for tyres only. You may not be able to use them on tyre rims or on coated wheels.
  • Tyre cleaner brushes
Choose a soft bristled brush for the wheels and a contoured tyre brush to really scrub the rubber out. Brands like Montana Original Bear’s hair wheel brush and Mothers’ Contoured Tyre brush are ideal.
  • Detailing towels
Microfibre detailing towels are excellent as they can wick away water and grease without leaving fibres and stains on the metal and rubber.
  • Clean dry cloth
  • Wax protectant and waxing cloth
Wheel protectant wax is available with several companies. You can use any brand you want and the wax is similar to car wax. Some companies also provide a waxing cloth along with the wax. If you do not have a separate waxing cloth, buy a chamois cloth to complete the job.
  • Tyre dressing solution and cloth
Tyre dressings are available in a range of different compositions. Make sure you choose one of the latest brands as they create semi-shiny matt looks that protect the tyre rubber.
Cleaning, Detailing, Polishing Your Tyres – How To
Step #1
Collect your goods and park your car in a well-ventilated and clean area. Always clean tyres before you have cleaned and dried your car. This will prevent any splash back on a clean car and a repeat cleaning. Make sure you have everything ready and keep water ready to start cleaning the tyres. At this time, make sure you also read all the instructions on the cleaner solutions you will be using.

Step #2

Step #3
Use the soft bristled brush to clean the rim and the hard bristled brush to clean dirt from the wheels. Scrub well and rinse down as much as possible to wash away as much dirt as possible. Use a soft microfiber detailing cloth to dry the tyre and the rim. Try not to use cotton or synthetic cloth, as they will not absorb all the water. This may cause wet spots that will prevent the solutions from working on the wheel.

Step #4
Wait until your tyres dry completely and then wax your tyres the same way you would wax your car. Use the wax pad that comes with the wax box and apply the paste on to the car. Polish the tyre the same way as you would your car and let the paste dry. This paste will protect your tyre and prevent dirt and mud from sticking to it. It will also ensure that your wheels look cleaner for as long as possible. Remember to wipe off excess wax paste as it can damage the wheel by causing discolorations and dark spots.

Step #5
Dress your tyres with a tyre dressing. Tyre dressings are water-based solutions that are designed to protect your tyres and make them appear delightfully new. The dressing is usually in the form of a spray. Follow instructions on the bottle and apply the tyre dressing. Apply two to three different coats and let it dry in-between coats. Wait for the dressing to dry completely before you take the car out for a drive.
Now that you have completed cleaning and dressing your tyre, you should know that this would decrease cleaning time on the next tyre wash. You do not need to do the whole scrubbing, waxing and dressing process as a lesser amount of dirt will be found on the tyre. Repeat this process once in two months and your tyres will appear brighter and cleaner. They will also last you for a longer time due to the increased maintenance.
In the end, it all comes down to a simple fact: Be nice to your tyres, try to clean them occasionally; after all, they are the elements of your car that actually get you around.
10 Nov 2016
Nothing has been said about access to underneath the car to clean the inside side.
I take my wheels off periodically (about twice a year) and check the wheel arches for corrosion, hose off with water, check the tyre treads and give the tyres and rims a good wash.