Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2019, 14:55   #11
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

I have been looking into fitting new discs and pads all round.

Nothing wrong with what's on there now as far as the MOT is concerned but I'm pretty sure one of the front discs is a little warped and I have no idea what brands are fitted since they were there when I bought the car last year. I'm also a bit fussy about brakes and like to make sure everything is cleaned up and fitted properly.

I have narrowed my choices down to two,

EBC standard discs and Greenstuff pads for around £200

TRW discs and pads for around £110

I'm not sure the EBC stuff is really worth nearly double the price but they have been recommended to me for years by many people and I fancy giving them a try.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 20:58   #12
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
I have been looking into fitting new discs and pads all round.

Nothing wrong with what's on there now as far as the MOT is concerned but I'm pretty sure one of the front discs is a little warped and I have no idea what brands are fitted since they were there when I bought the car last year. I'm also a bit fussy about brakes and like to make sure everything is cleaned up and fitted properly.

I have narrowed my choices down to two,

EBC standard discs and Greenstuff pads for around £200

TRW discs and pads for around £110

I'm not sure the EBC stuff is really worth nearly double the price but they have been recommended to me for years by many people and I fancy giving them a try.

TRW discs and the EBC pads would be a decent combination, and cheaper than the full EBC kit.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.

Last edited by ZedTeeT; 10th April 2019 at 21:00..
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 00:25   #13
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
TRW discs and the EBC pads would be a decent combination, and cheaper than the full EBC kit.
This is a good point, I do like the idea of the black painted ebc discs though, can't stand it when the unswept area gets rusty.

I know a lot of trw discs have the unswept area painted but apparently some don't so for some reason discounted that option without even thinking to ask people here so if anybody has trw discs can you let me know?

I can't seem to find the TRW stuff for the same price any more, I was basing it on a price from last year but would still work out cheaper by about £40 over the EBC discs at the current best price I can find.

How are the greenstuff pads in your experience?

I have been hearing about them for years, back in the early 2000s I had company cars so didn't worry about such things but heard about them from the MAX POWER saxo kids so thought of them as a silly pointless mod like the drilled and grooved discs they were fitting to their 1.1 saxo.

bought a classic mini a bit later and mini owners seemed to rate them but since then have done some reading on various forums and it seems some love them but others say they're nothing special or that they crumble and fall apart.
Born Friday, 9th April 2004 @ 09:54:49
This vehicle was the 14,388th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 2,491st ZT CDTi + (135) to be made out of 4,184
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs

Last edited by EdgarDonaldBalls; 11th April 2019 at 00:30..
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 06:57   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have used EBC pads for years, it helps that one of there main distributors is a mile from my house.

Green stuff is quite soft so you get a lot of grip but these are not very good for anything other than road use, I have these in my Jensen as the discs are quite small.

The next stage up is Red stuff, I have these on my 260 and work well.

You can go up to Yellow but the problem with these the first brake application puts the heat into the pads for them to work at there best, these are more suited to track cars or very high performance.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 07:19   #15
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
How'do Gary
Brembo discs/pads front/rear - full set £175 from Eurocarparts with current spring discount.
Paul.

Brembo on both of my Rovers. Happy with that. Good value for money.
A set (disks & pads) can be had for 75€ (less than £70) in France.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 11th April 2019 at 07:26..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 16:25   #16
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Up until 6 months ago I would have said Mintex, the last set I had from a reputable supplier are rubbish. The discs go rusty overnight ( it normally takes a couple of days) and I noticed this week they are already ridged and they have only done 4k miles.

My next ones will be Apec, Delphi or Borg and Beck.

The problem is a lot of them are made from scrap and we are our won worse enemies always asking for cheaper parts not quality.

I wonder what make Halfords use with there lifetime warranty?
I've gone off mintex after 30 years of buying.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 18:22   #17
Garry k
Regular poster

Mg zt / rover 75 saloon / 75 saloon

Default What discs

Thanks all for your help been looking at Mteck discs full set for just under 200
or original from Rimmer Bros which ever I can get the quickest not alot of time left before test
Garry k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 18:36   #18
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Fitted a pair of these MTec discs on the front a couple of months ago, along with a set of Mintex pads that I had lying around.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-...-/290373094820
Very pleased with the discs so far.......and they look cool

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 18:36   #19
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
This is a good point, I do like the idea of the black painted ebc discs though, can't stand it when the unswept area gets rusty.

I know a lot of trw discs have the unswept area painted but apparently some don't so for some reason discounted that option without even thinking to ask people here so if anybody has trw discs can you let me know?

I can't seem to find the TRW stuff for the same price any more, I was basing it on a price from last year but would still work out cheaper by about £40 over the EBC discs at the current best price I can find.

How are the greenstuff pads in your experience?

I have been hearing about them for years, back in the early 2000s I had company cars so didn't worry about such things but heard about them from the MAX POWER saxo kids so thought of them as a silly pointless mod like the drilled and grooved discs they were fitting to their 1.1 saxo.

bought a classic mini a bit later and mini owners seemed to rate them but since then have done some reading on various forums and it seems some love them but others say they're nothing special or that they crumble and fall apart.
had trw discs fitted to my old diesel excellent quality the center sections are painted which looked as good as new even after two years on the car.for the fronts i had unipart ones from andrew page.these do not seem about anymore shame as they where very good and cheap as chips.on my latest 75 which need new ones on the front.i got hold of some quinton hazell ones which are fine hope this helps
Old 12th April 2019, 19:56   #20
Garry k
Regular poster

Mg zt / rover 75 saloon / 75 saloon

Thumbs up

All ordered from Rimmer Bros original rov/Mg discs bembo pads couldn’t get mtec parts in time for fitting. So looking like a busy weekend also got to try and replace broken front fog light and gold fan resistor while bumpers off
Garry k is offline   Reply With Quote