Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd April 2019, 17:33   #31
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Well, this thread started off with a dim view of extraction pumps. It's now leaning towards a favourable view. Method will always be what the individual feels is right for them. For me, I'm favouring the extractor, simply because I won't have to scrabble around under the car.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:12   #32
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Pela for me. No problems in 12 years.
Wish I could use it on my beemer.
No dip stick!!!!😞
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 18:59   #33
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The Pela was meant for boat engines.

Think of all those ruined engines if it didn't get all the old oil out.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 07:20   #34
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Well as a newcomer to extraction pumps I cannot cite a long history of use - but I can confirm that I too check the volume of the extracted oil and I am confident that very little, if any, gets left behind.

And as I change the engine oil at half the stated interval - I really don’t see the problem.

On my old LR’s you had no undertray and could run two wheels up onto an old plank to ensure the sump was “leaning” towards the drain hole then get underneath with ease and filter off, drain oil - drink your cuppa while last drops come out, new washer, replace plug, fill new filter with oil, screw on, fill engine, check level - and job done. Easy.

But doing this on a ZTT with its undertray and low ground clearance is just not the same attractive proposition as on a LR.

So, I lift the bonnet, put in the tube after removing the dipstick, being carful to ensure it goes in as far as it needs to and no more (the pipe on my pump is quite rigid) extract the oil whilst drinking the tea, change the top mounted oil filter (lovely design!) when pump has done its job, check volume extracted and replace with new oil.

What could be simpler or more satisfying?

Am I bothered if a bit of oil is left in there? Not at all because it has only been in there for about half its recommended time anyway.

Besides - by my observations I get out the volume I put in!

But just say for arguments sake I left a quarter of a litre in there (I don’t think I do but let’s play pretend!!! ) then 250ml / 6.8litre x 100 = 3.7%

So that means I would have changed 96.3% of the oil in my engine.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 18:49   #35
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

And I just undo one sump plug, and it all comes out, muck and all.
Old 29th April 2019, 19:29   #36
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well, it's me, I don't measure the oil coming out which is drained after getting the engine quite warm, and leave it until there are no drops within ten seconds. I then don't measure the oil going in, but add every ten minutes, then start to measure the dipstick until I have a satisfactory level. Works for me. Oh, that's from the sump drain plug and no spills.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 06:14   #37
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Unless you use some sort of brush thro’ the drain hole - I very much doubt you get out any more “muck” than a suction pump.

But if doing this make you happy
Old 30th April 2019, 08:10   #38
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Well, that's the crux of the matter for me, I don't want to scrabble around under the car to undo the plug. I also want to change the oil myself, so getting an extraction pump.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 08:19   #39
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

It's obvious we are not all going to agree on this one lol.

I started using the vacuum method and am very happy with it. I have yet to see this so-called muck on any engine I have ever worked on. The only time I have seen anything I didn't like was the "mayonnaise" that built up in the rocker box of some engines years ago.

Just make sure what ever type you buy, it has quite a rigid pipe so that it goes straight down to the bottom of the sump without curling or you will not get all the oil out, and maybe get it stuck on removal.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 30th April 2019 at 08:23..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 09:28   #40
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
It's obvious we are not all going to agree on this one lol.

I started using the vacuum method and am very happy with it. I have yet to see this so-called muck on any engine I have ever worked on. The only time I have seen anything I didn't like was the "mayonnaise" that built up in the rocker box of some engines years ago.

Just make sure what ever type you buy, it has quite a rigid pipe so that it goes straight down to the bottom of the sump without curling or you will not get all the oil out, and maybe get it stuck on removal.
Wise advice all round Mike. Especially re the pipe - I was concerned at the report on here where a soft pipe was pushed in too far and a sharp edge severed it when it was pulled out of the dipstick hole.

If this was a common occurrence then it would wipe out ANY advantage of an oil change via this method.

As for ‘muck’ - this does build up in a sump and in my view should stay there. The idea of it floating about so it can flow out the drain plug does not fit at all with the hard “goo” that I remove with a scraper and then wash out with Gunk on any sump I have removed.