Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2019, 18:50   #51
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Are the shoes contaminated?
Old 1st May 2019, 07:31   #52
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Are the shoes contaminated?
As a result of the problem I have had with a Sh1t hand brake I came to the conclusion that the H/B shoes that I purchased were of an inferior quality.

So i have bit the bullet and purchased a completely new set up, Disc's,Pad's and shoes. Courtesy of Matt.

Hopefully, it will resolve the problem.

I will let them bed in and report back.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2019, 08:11   #53
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I keep reading things on the internet and feel rather guilty at times. Why? Because I have a perfectly working handbrake that would hold the car on the side of Everest.
Not my doing, it was like this two years ago when I bought it.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2019, 12:02   #54
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

John number 6 should have the SSC already fitted to his car, it was fitted at the Nano meet, so his new discs pad & shoe set up should see him with a good handbrake, I have known some shoes not to hold for one reason or another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (116.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SDC17570.jpg (143.7 KB, 12 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2019, 12:07   #55
Number 6
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
John number 6 should have the SSC already fitted to his car, it was fitted at the Nano meet, so his new discs pad & shoe set up should see him with a good handbrake, I have known some shoes not to hold for one reason or another.
Yes indeed it does have your modified compensator,fitted by your good self.

As I have only just fitted the new parts I will give them time to bed in a little but first impressions are good.

Old 1st May 2019, 13:59   #56
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You want to try an old Landy with the prop brake-they make you seasick!
Old 1st May 2019, 17:01   #57
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I fitted new OEM discs and pads about 2 years back (the old discs were worn, lipped and markedly grooved). The hand brake shoes were not in great condition showing slightly uneven wear but they were retained and got a thorough clean/soaking with brake cleaner and I renewed the pins/springs with OEM parts and fitted a brand new mini compensator (IMHO the best value for money upgrade of all for our cars) before putting the brakes back together. The fulcrum arm pins/shoe necks were copper slipped (just a smidging) and I then followed the adjustment routine with a couple of additions - when close to getting the final adjustment rotate (twirl) the wheels clockwise by hand and pull (you'll need an assistant doing the pulling) the hand brake 'on' to centralise the shoes and as mentioned earlier, give the drums a couple of light taps with a soft mallet. Make the very final adjustments on the adjuster so the drum can just about be rotated by hand (I used a lever by locking a 15" long HD screwdriver between one of the wheel studs and the outside of the drum) and then slack-off the adjuster one notch only. Do the 'final, final' adjustment at least a couple of times (using the soft knocking stick approach) and ensure each wheel is treated the same (in turn, adjustment by adjustment NOT one side and then the other).

I got to the 3 notch handbrake grab then and I'm on 4 notches now.
Like the thoughts of other OP's, hand brake shoe wear should be minimal if used properly (as oppossed to 'correctly') and as in all braking/CoF discussions, remember that the area of contact of the friction surfaces has nothing to do with the friction qualities but more to do with materials wear and dissipation of heat. The hand brake is almost a completely static application so wear is insignificant and heat non-existant and because of the single 'leading' shoe geometry only a fraction (approx. 15%, some of which is due to surface distortion) of the 'leading' portion of the whole area of the shoe is in contact with the drum.
Those of us who champion the "run it for 50M" or "hand brake turn" brigade will extend that 15% contact to perhaps 18-20% but theory tells us the stopping (actually, holding) power should not be significantly improved since this is a direct function of CoF/mu between the two interacting surfaces i.e. cast iron drum and shoe friction material. The leading shoe (that is the left hand shoe as viewed on the N/S arrangement) has a self-servo action with the rotating drum if the car were to try and move backwards and so tries to 'grab'/wedge the drum; the harder the hand brake is applied the more the grab effect. If the vehicle were to try and roll forwards the RH shoe would effect the 'grab'. The whole brake assembly effectively has limited 'float' within the drum.
I guess persitant iron oxide (rust) impregnation of the friction material will eventually adversely effect the mu value so regular shoe removal, scrub -up with brake cleaner and re-adjustment would maintain hand brake efficiency.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2019, 18:23   #58
Number 6
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
You want to try an old Landy with the prop brake-they make you seasick!
yes, I had one with the transmission Brake real see-saw motion.

Old 5th May 2019, 07:47   #59
Scoobydodad
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Modified handbrake

Hi the 75 rear brakes are influenced to much by BMW, they should have used the rear brake system as the old 800, anyhow I recently had the same problem as you, I fitted new discs/pads/shoes and modified compensator from Arctic, I must have adjusted mine dozens of times to get it right you have to keep doing it there's a fine line until you get it just, I did mine and breaks are now perfect, its all trial/error.
Scoobydodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 08:21   #60
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydodad View Post
Hi the 75 rear brakes are influenced to much by BMW, they should have used the rear brake system as the old 800, anyhow I recently had the same problem as you, I fitted new discs/pads/shoes and modified compensator from Arctic, I must have adjusted mine dozens of times to get it right you have to keep doing it there's a fine line until you get it just, I did mine and breaks are now perfect, its all trial/error.

Sorry, I do not agree. The handbrake had just one issue, the stretching compensator, plus poor adjustment technique.

I soon sorted out my 75's handbrake, when I realised the compensator stretch was a problem and worked out the fix that. I read lots of advice about how to set it up, the technique, including the workshop manuals and arrived at a conclusion that they were quite simply wrong.

I carried out the modification I devised seven years ago, set it up my own way and it has been absolutely fine ever since. I have though carried out a readjustment once since then.

I explained how to do all of this years ago.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote