Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2019, 09:01   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Unnecessary Signals are one thing, invalid or additional signals that have one meaning only but are habitually used in other circs are quite another. Can’t really see that gaining the habit of always signalling as described earlier, ie when not strictly necessary, is a bad one or would lead to a lack of observation. The act of signalling in advance would trigger the obs one.

What irks me, and I admit to being guilty of it mainly because it seems to be generally accepted, is flashing headlights to signal ‘Please proceed, I will wait’. Precisely the opposite of what is in the manuals from Highway Code to the police training one.

A secondary invitation to death is what other road users, who may not be aware of what is happening from their position but see only your flash, assume you are allowing them to proceed. And proceed directly into the path of the vehicle to which you have ‘given permission’. Nobody is God but you might at least avoid being the grim reaper.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:35   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
A secondary invitation to death is what other road users, who may not be aware of what is happening from their position but see only your flash, assume you are allowing them to proceed. And proceed directly into the path of the vehicle to which you have ‘given permission’. Nobody is God but you might at least avoid being the grim reaper.

I will admit to using the headlight flash and frequently, but I make sure no other vehicle or person could misinterpret the flash to be for them. To be fair, there is often no other way to let a distant driver know you are giving way to them, where a driver cannot be seen.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 09:52   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
In those circumstances, without signalling your intention, you could be sat waiting for ages because nobody would realise you wanted to join the que.

Slightly off topic, there is another one I personally come across quite a lot.

I retired early, but I do help out at a friend's pizza shop by doing deliveries a few evenings a week. I often park across people's driveways, knowing that I won't be there for longer than a few minutes. The grief and abuse I receive sometimes is unbelievable. People complain that have no intention of actually going in or out of their drive.

I have to point out the rules from the highway code. If you follow it to the letter, basically it says avoid blocking driveways. But it does not say "you must not". So it's not actually law. People's property boundaries are their gate, they do not own the road, or have any more rights to it than me.

Now there's a debate for you lol
I believe there is something about by laws and dropped kerbs, ref blocking. But know nothing of it. But certainly police here can and have ticketed and then removed a car blocking a garage which has a council fitted sign in front saying 'no parking in front of garages'. Causing an obstruction was what I was told.

The driveway for deliveries I wouldn't have a problem with personally, except when the pull in front as you are obviously about to leave. Have had that, but not from a drive, simply outside my house. 'I will only be a minute mate' my back bumper close to his drivers door was my revenge for his inconsideration.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 10:23   #24
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Having been a class 1 HGV licence holder for 25 years, I get asked sometimes what is the most frustrating thing people do whilst driving.
Always the same answer. Incorrect use or failing to use indicators.
It’s about changing the culture of driving. Telling drivers not to indicate if there is no one to see it is pure madness. It’s giving drivers an additional judgement to make. Is there traffic or no traffic? Make the wrong judgement and you end up causing or having an accident.
Golden rule. If you intend to turn, change lane or deviate from your path in some way, hit the indicator. Once you get that in your mind, you will always indicate.
Give a driver an excuse not to indicate and they will then stop indicating. Ask any BMW driver.
Seriously, if it is the case that instructors are saying don’t bother, they are causing a new generation to become bad drivers from the outset.
If I challenge drivers they really don’t know what they have done wrong. That’s frightening.
Old 8th May 2019, 10:47   #25
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Shroedinger's cat anyone?

Quite deep
The thing is, since I wasn't in the lab at the time Shrodinger conducted this experiment, how can I be sure it actually took place?
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 10:56   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Quite deep

The thing is, since I wasn't in the lab at the time Shrodinger conducted this experiment, how can I be sure it actually took place?
Indeed, just as we cannot be sure those not indicating cannot be sure they are not, if there is no one around. as they cannot be sure that their not Indicating has not mattered to those they did not see to warrant their indication. .......

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 11:55   #27
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I believe there is something about by laws and dropped kerbs, ref blocking. But know nothing of it. But certainly police here can and have ticketed and then removed a car blocking a garage which has a council fitted sign in front saying 'no parking in front of garages'. Causing an obstruction was what I was told.

The driveway for deliveries I wouldn't have a problem with personally, except when the pull in front as you are obviously about to leave. Have had that, but not from a drive, simply outside my house. 'I will only be a minute mate' my back bumper close to his drivers door was my revenge for his inconsideration.

Yes, if it's signed that's a different matter. I am just talking private houses.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 13:19   #28
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I was told when I did my PCV course, if there’s someone to tell, tell them, even if it’s a cyclist, pedestrian or a cat!
I've heard tell that is was a Chicken that crossed the road !!!

Dunno why though.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 20:58   #29
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Yes, if it's signed that's a different matter. I am just talking private houses.
If you parked across my driveway, you would return to your car to find you were parked between two cars an inch from either bumper.

I was going out about three weeks back, when somebody did just that.....parked across the driveway while I was reversing off the drive, running away with what was obviously a bag of takeaway, shouting I won't be long

He was still there two hours later after I'd returned home, having taken another of the fleet leaving the ZT and the 75 parked bumper to bumper.

It is quite simple, if a driveway is unoccupied, then you may park over it, but I always make a conscious effort to park considerately, so never do so.

Anyway, when it comes to indicating my intentions, I only do so if there are other road users to warn of those intentions, mirror, signal, manoeuvre, not I'm indicating so I'm going to pull out regardless of traffic.

Indicators are not an instruction, merely an indication of what you intend to do, and are often misused, and signalling for the sake of it is not necessary.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 21:26   #30
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

So if I indicate and there is no-one there to see it... does it still flash?