Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2019, 08:54   #131
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, I totally agree.

Sadly, I don't thing ringing a MKIV Mini as a Mk1 will be a particularly good learning curve.

What Thomas needs to realise is simple, if you are re shelling a car, unless you are using a brand new shell along with invoice proving as new from a recognised supplier such as the BMiHT, it doesn't matter a jot how much of the original car is used mechanically, you cannot retain the original chassis number nor registration, and you will in all likelihood end up with a Q plated car.

Of course you can try and explain why a 1961 registration is fitted to a car with.......

No "Magic Wand" gearstick

No sliding front windows

No small rear lights

No fold down rear number plate

No external door hinges

No "wet" subframes

A single HS4 SU, whereas if it were a ex works rally car, or even a Cooper I would have expected at the very least a pair of twin HS2 "FZX3052"

Now it should be noted I'm no kind of Mini "expert", but even I can see the glaringly obvious differences between the different versions of Mini

Brian
im putting external hinges on as a back fold down rear number plate small rear lights twin su but just to get in running i know the single works
Old 10th May 2019, 09:40   #132
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

When are you 17 Thomas?

Are you planning on using this mini to learn to drive?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 09:49   #133
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
When are you 17 Thomas?

Are you planning on using this mini to learn to drive?
75 p6 or mini probably p6 or 75 though

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2019, 10:55   #134
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Keep at it Thomas - when I was your age, and started tinkering with cars, I learnt the hard way by making mistakes and applying what would now be regarded as 'bodges' to old cars, be we all learn as we gain more experience. I still make mistakes now, but the thing is to take advice (of the good sort, not always easy to spot on modern day car internet forums) and respect that advice from trusted experts in your make/model.

Doing high quality car restoration is not a cheap business, even at home - I am nearing completion of sill replacement, suspension rebuild and re-trim of my MGB GT, and I reckon I have probably spent 4,000 pounds so far (and probably 200-300 hours of time).

Good luck

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 11:45   #135
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Keep at it Thomas - when I was your age, and started tinkering with cars, I learnt the hard way by making mistakes and applying what would now be regarded as 'bodges' to old cars, be we all learn as we gain more experience. I still make mistakes now, but the thing is to take advice (of the good sort, not always easy to spot on modern day car internet forums) and respect that advice from trusted experts in your make/model.

Doing high quality car restoration is not a cheap business, even at home - I am nearing completion of sill replacement, suspension rebuild and re-trim of my MGB GT, and I reckon I have probably spent 4,000 pounds so far (and probably 200-300 hours of time).

Good luck

Pete
My parents said they help me first and buy me a garage for not giving in from my old school

Old 10th May 2019, 12:25   #136
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thomas, amongst the negativity by some on here there has been a lot of good advice given to you, advice based on experience, which often (sadly) comes with age.

Generally, when people have a lot of projects on it takes a lot longer to get any of them finished if they're working on them all at the same time.

So my advice would be to tackle one car at a time and get that spot on rather than trying to do little bits on many.

Think of it as a production line, the cars pass through each stage individually and come off the end one at a time.

Now I’m a bit James May in that I like a tidy work environment so I’d start by clearing everything up to see what’s what, but that’s just me and others work differently, that’s why we’re all individuals and it would be boring if we were all the same.

Please take on board the advice about classic car status, sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and think that something’s worth more than it really is.

From a selling point of view it’s only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and if you try passing something off as something that it isn’t then you’re potentially heading for a lot of trouble.

Well done in setting up a limited company “Rover Group Ltd” and building a website https://rover-group-ltd.site123.me/ but be careful what you write and claim; I believe Tata own the rights to “Rover” and possibly the Viking logo.

And you might want to get someone to correct the spelling and grammar on the website.

Keep up the enthusiasm, in 30 years a lot of us on this forum will be 6 feet under so we need the younger generation to keep Rover cars alive.

Good luck!
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 12:33   #137
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Best of luck with this Thomas. It's great to see a young lad with an interest in anything beyond PlayStation and Xbox. The best way to learn how to do something is to get your hands dirty, making a few mistakes, along the way. Who cares if it isn't the best and most valuable restoration when complete! Enjoy yourself and learn along the way. Don't let any negative non constructive comments get you down, there's been plenty on this thread..... They're not warranted. I look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 12:52   #138
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split or Bust View Post
Thomas, amongst the negativity by some on here there has been a lot of good advice given to you, advice based on experience, which often (sadly) comes with age.

Generally, when people have a lot of projects on it takes a lot longer to get any of them finished if they're working on them all at the same time.

So my advice would be to tackle one car at a time and get that spot on rather than trying to do little bits on many.

Think of it as a production line, the cars pass through each stage individually and come off the end one at a time.

Now I’m a bit James May in that I like a tidy work environment so I’d start by clearing everything up to see what’s what, but that’s just me and others work differently, that’s why we’re all individuals and it would be boring if we were all the same.

Please take on board the advice about classic car status, sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and think that something’s worth more than it really is.

From a selling point of view it’s only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and if you try passing something off as something that it isn’t then you’re potentially heading for a lot of trouble.

Well done in setting up a limited company “Rover Group Ltd” and building a website https://rover-group-ltd.site123.me/ but be careful what you write and claim; I believe Tata own the rights to “Rover” and possibly the Viking logo.

And you might want to get someone to correct the spelling and grammar on the website.

Keep up the enthusiasm, in 30 years a lot of us on this forum will be 6 feet under so we need the younger generation to keep Rover cars alive.

Good luck!
I have changed the logo and it will be a company where I make hot rod offroaders and stuff

Old 10th May 2019, 14:23   #139
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

43 days to go according to the Rover website. I can’t wait to see the first one produced. Keep up the good work!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 14:32   #140
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Once you take an interest in women, you won't have time for these old cars.

We are only here cos the women are no longer interested in us lol.

That's my story anyway ha ha

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote