Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2019, 20:30   #21
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Well as windscreen demist doesn't operate the fan and I've tested the relay I think the fan is at fault.
Is it basically plug and play for a swap to a two speed one?
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 20:34   #22
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

As an aside from this does the fan on diesel versions work much to cool the engine except in summer?
The one on my maestro diesel van never kicks in even though the system is all working correctly
Old 12th May 2019, 20:52   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
As an aside from this does the fan on diesel versions work much to cool the engine except in summer?
The one on my maestro diesel van never kicks in even though the system is all working correctly

The diesel is very much over cooled, so unlikely the fan will ever need to run to provide increased engine cooling. The only time it usually runs, it to provide cooling for the a/c system.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 20:54   #24
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I don't recall hearing my fan switch on in over 2 years of driving my diesel. They are cold-blooded to the point of fitting a Fuel burning heater for winter.

Just make sure your thermostat is working correctly. Temp gauge should get to 9pm

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 20:55   #25
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thanks for that , I'm going on a run on Wednesday and could do with the ZT as it has satnav and will hopefully sort the fan out next weekend
Old 13th May 2019, 08:04   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Well as windscreen demist doesn't operate the fan ...
On your 3 speed system that means that one of your motor brushes has worn to the extent that it is no longer making contact with the commutator. If you're technically minded and find a cost-effective repair attractive, you can buy a set of new brushes for about £20 from here (ignore the incorrect reference to 'heater'). These were developed with input from me and fellow club member Greeners and I have some fitted to my car.

For a pictorial fitting guide, search under club member Arctic.
Quote:
Is it basically plug and play for a swap to a two speed one?
Yes, but much more expensive and if it comes with a standard 'silver' resistor you'll need to change it to a 'gold' one for long term reliability.

By the way Russ, looking at your location and job, do you volunteer on the North Norfolk Railway?

Simon
Old 13th May 2019, 20:08   #27
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I've ordered a two speed fan and gold resistor.
I was a volunteer on the railway many years ago running the diesel department, but to be honest don't care much for the place these days , I prefer the mid Norfolk even though I live only a few hundred yards from the north Norfolk.
But there again just doing 25mph with a 37 isn't nowhere near as much fun as doing 90 on the mainline and getting paid for it!