Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th July 2019, 12:17   #1
rovertoyou

Rover 75 and MG ZT

Default Boot leaks

I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but here goes...

I have a ZT (from 2004). It leaks in the boot through the two large vents on the underside of the bulkhead (in front of the rear of the boot lid and basically below the rear window). Yesterday I watched the water dripping through these vents (if they are indeed vents, that is). Not a torrent but enough to dampen the carpet.

I gather there are various ways water can get into the boot (I have had the rear lamp seals replaced).

I just can't see where the water starts its journey to reach these vents.

Anyone have similar experience or solutions, please?

PS I have a pic but I'm having a bit of trouble compressing it to upload..
rovertoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 12:52   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Several leak points, but to get you started, rear window clips, if you feel inside the boot beneath the parcel shelf, you'll feel plastic clips. These can leak. If you lift the rubber trim around the rear window, you'll see them.
Also the side trim along the wing can leak. Hinges have also been known to leak too. Good job MGR never made subs
If you use the Google search function at the top of the page & type boot leaks, there's reams on the subject Have fun
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 13:14   #3
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Another point of entry is the holes for the chrome trim strips on the wings. Six holes per side - you can just see them in this pic.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a similar point of entry underneath the D-post finishers (directly aft of the rear quarterlight) - judging from the pic in link above, there appear to be four fixing holes there. See 5th & 6th pics down this page and no7 here. The back of the finisher is shown in one of the pics here (four clips).

Also, if anyone has adjusted the boot lid positioning (to stop it colliding with the rear window trim) and done it wrongly**, rain seems to be able to enter the boot via the lid opening.

** I did exactly that and now I can't get it back into the right position because I cant hold both sides of the boot at the same time and re-tighten both hinge brackets. Aarrgh!

Last edited by Blink; 20th July 2019 at 13:29..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 13:35   #4
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
.... rear window clips, if you feel inside the boot beneath the parcel shelf, you'll feel plastic clips. These can leak. If you lift the rubber trim around the rear window, you'll see them. ....
I'd say this is the prime suspect - and all of my suggestions are lesser candidates.

Btw, if you haven't already done so, I'd take the boot side liners off - the two big carpet-like thingies. You might find big puddles behind them - not good if you've got satnav equipment mounted in the boot (on the right side).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote