Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th March 2010, 17:53   #1
pmw75
Regular poster

75 saloon1.8 standard petrol

Default Leaving the owner's club - perhaps - long story

Hi, although a newbie I have taken some good advice from this forum and asked a few questions. I am now admitting my stupidity. I bought my 75 1.8 Auto 3 weeks ago from a 'proper' Ltd Co. dealer with a good stock of cars from £1k to £27k. "All our cars are HPI checked" etc. 2002 (02) Immaculate black, very nice interior, etc. 62000 miles, some history £1990 having been £2695.
Sudden severe water leak from thermo' housing, recovery truck into garage. Phone dealer to find man I dealt with on paternity leave (brief mobile conversation "can't be ar**ed with cars at moment", his stand in does not want to know, owner on holiday. I had to authorise repair. Garage then tells me engine shot, likely head gasket but cost me £231 plus recovery, BTW did I know it had been a Taxi? I paid for an HPI check last recorded milage - 557,000, yes 557k. Stand in has been persuaded to contact owner on holiday who has said will collect car and reimburse me on his return (2 weeks).
So unless someone amongst you has a nice, pref deisel, example I will not own a 75. Am very sad as I love it!!
pmw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 17:58   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

557k on a 1.8

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:00   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Sorry to hear this,
But always advise to do your own HPi check or see their paperwork to back up,
as well as old MOT's etc.
Plenty of decent cars out there.
Also contact Trading Standards if no joy.
Find it hard to believe a 1.8 taxi would still be running well before that mileage.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:02   #4
kevineds
Gets stuck in

ZT 260 SE,ZTT CDTI & ZT160+

blimey! 557K? sorry to hear about your experience hope you find a decent replacement 75/zt
kevineds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:08   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw75 View Post
Hi, although a newbie I have taken some good advice from this forum and asked a few questions. I am now admitting my stupidity. I bought my 75 1.8 Auto 3 weeks ago from a 'proper' Ltd Co. dealer with a good stock of cars from £1k to £27k. "All our cars are HPI checked" etc. 2002 (02) Immaculate black, very nice interior, etc. 62000 miles, some history £1990 having been £2695.
Sudden severe water leak from thermo' housing, recovery truck into garage. Phone dealer to find man I dealt with on paternity leave (brief mobile conversation "can't be ar**ed with cars at moment", his stand in does not want to know, owner on holiday. I had to authorise repair. Garage then tells me engine shot, likely head gasket but cost me £231 plus recovery, BTW did I know it had been a Taxi? I paid for an HPI check last recorded milage - 557,000, yes 557k. Stand in has been persuaded to contact owner on holiday who has said will collect car and reimburse me on his return (2 weeks).
So unless someone amongst you has a nice, pref deisel, example I will not own a 75. Am very sad as I love it!!

what about a member called messenger ..i believe he still has a very nice tourer for sale .very well speced,and well maintained .send him a private message to see if it is still for sale ..
Old 10th March 2010, 18:09   #6
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

I would contact Trading Standard and inform them of your situation,
even if the dealer does give you back all the monies you have paid out i would still want this dealer to be looked in to only to stop it happening again to another buyer.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:13   #7
pmw75
Regular poster

75 saloon1.8 standard petrol

I have been taking trading standards advice, quite happy for anyone to look at this report, am trying to copy it to an image, back soon.
pmw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:16   #8
slimsi
Loves to post

2005 Ignition Blue ZT 190 +

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Sorry to hear this,
But always advise to do your own HPi check or see their paperwork to back up,
as well as old MOT's etc.
Plenty of decent cars out there.
Also contact Trading Standards if no joy.
Find it hard to believe a 1.8 taxi would still be running well before that mileage.
Why not? If a proper HG repair was done at some point then it should be fine unless I am missing something.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:22   #9
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

75 contempary, ZT now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw75 View Post
When you buy your next one (you know you will) dont settle for "some service history" there are lots of nice cars out there with full history, Remember a lot of dealers buy their cars from auction so they dont know anything about the car. They will proberbly give you your money back and chuck it back in the auction. I would rather buy private from someone who has had the car a while and looked after it, dont rush and buy with your eyes not your heart. good luck
Tractor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 18:23   #10
Big John
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE Saloon in Zircon Silver (Paint Code MUM)

I had the same sort of thing happen to me some years ago, I took the garage to court and got my money back with all costs and interest. I will dig the file out and see if I can give you any advice.

Cheers

John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote