Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2010, 08:27   #1
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Default The misses may be buying a CityRover.

It's not to my taste but it's a cheap runabout for a first time driver.

It's a 2004 in as new condition with 20k on the clock.

The seller is asking £1400 for it.. Is there anything that I should look out for on these models?

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 15:50   #2
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

i wouldnt bother , they are a load of rubbish , build quality is very poor... i would reconsider buying it if i was you..
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 16:19   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Co worker has one, same colour as below.

Took the usual jokes, but its quite a good wee city car if you look past the brand (thats Rover and MG in general lol!). All of them have the same 85bhp 1.4 SOHC but the engine is decent enough.

Copied this below from a site.

The lowest-priced 'Solo' model isnt bad at all, with standard features such as driver's airbag, front seat belt pre-tensioners, radio/cassette with four speakers, clock, lockable glovebox, variable intermittent wipe, rear wash/wipe, tinted glass with shadeband, cigar lighter, load space lamp, courtesy lamp delay, 4-speed heater/ventilation fan with recirculation setting, alloy gearknob, remote releases for tailgate and fuel filler, and many others.

Sporting features of the 'Sprite' model include alloy wheels, leather sports style steering wheel and gearknob, front fog lamps and a rear spoiler. Luxury features on the 'Select' model include front and rear electric windows plus air conditioning as standard. Both 'Sprite' and 'Select' have power steering, remote central locking, a tachometer and a CD/Tuner. All these features are standard on the top model, the 'Style', which also benefits from anti-lock braking and a passenger airbag._Paint choices include two solid colours and eight optional metallic shades.

More info, http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?cityroverstoryf.htm

Red is unquestionably the colour in these.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 19:26   #4
willsp2007
Loves to post

mg zt 190+

can you remeber when it appeared on top gear? i can they wouldnt let them test drive one, probably cause they knew it was terrible ,but anyhow james may went to the dealers to pretend he was going to buy one said it was the worse car ever cost something like 1500 to build in india or something then were trying to sell them for a shy under 5k there are a lot of good little superminis out there for that sort of money im sure youd even get a good specd 25/zr if you were wanting rover
willsp2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 20:03   #5
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I don't think much goes wrong with them does it. They aren't pleasant to drive and are quite thirsty iirc having covered a few miles in one. I would prefer a Rover 25 personally but for the price it is probably ok. I think the reliabilty will be there.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:27   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

unfortunately they aren't very good, as allready said the Tata indicar was very cheap and MGR basically just fitted some new badges and hiked up the price. We have had quite a few at 5/6 year old with relative low mileage that need lots of work for the MOT. If not allready done so have a test drive! We had one customer buy one new and after the car was 'handed over' by the salesman he just sat there for ages until finally getting out of the car, walking back in the showroom and traded it back in without even starting it. I don't want to knock an MGR product but I don't feel that it is one.
If it has remote locking there should be a transmitter with a link lead attatched to it - you need this for programming

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 08:51   #7
Allegroboi
Posted a thing or two

2.0 CDTi Tourer Connie SE auto Royal Blue/Dorchester red connie V6 with Aubergine interior

I think you get what you pay for. Therefore do not expect anything great. But if you just want a small cheap car to local running around then why not, but as always do not buy the first one you see. They do look good in Black though

Ian
Old 26th April 2010, 15:38   #8
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

My girlfriend was going to buy one of these until she sat in one and drove it which changed her mind and she bought a moped instead so goes to show what a good car they are. As others have said a Rover 25 would be much better and for a similar price you'll probably be able to find one of similar age and mileage too
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 16:22   #9
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

If you are looking for a small runaround "shopping trolley" you could do alot worse than the Hyundia Amica, my mum won one in a 'how many sweets in the jar' contest about 5 years ago, one whole litre of power so it does silly MPG it has done 80K miles and nothing has gone wrong and it is not bad to drive and becuase you sit up right in it the back seats probably provide more leg room than my 75!!

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:28   #10
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gp View Post
i wouldnt bother , they are a load of rubbish , build quality is very poor... i would reconsider buying it if i was you..
do you have any documented facts about the build quality or is this just another generalization as i am sure StevenWilliams would appreciate any information you could point out to him.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote