Notices

Old 12th April 2017, 08:29   #1
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Lower Sill. Abortion of a repair

As some of you may or not know, I recently purchased a LWB, in Metalic Silver
There was a faint bubble coming through on the drivers side lower sill, so I thought no real problem get it back to metal and make good, not my cup of tea, so put it into my regular garage, who I might add trust.
He does not do this work, but a little workshop a couple doors away renovates Morris Minors, agreed to do the work.

It went in last Wednesday, picked it up yesterday, My mechanic rang me up last Thursday telling me the bubble was worse than it looked and he has taken photos of the abortion of a repair that had been previously done, outwardly it looked okay nothing seriously to worry about.
After grinding the area down the hole got bigger and bigger till in the end it was at least 15 inches long, it had been repaired with two pieces of tin cut from could have been baked beans for all I know, these had been put into the hole and and secured with some sort of glue then expanding foam injected into the sill.
Was then had filler put over the top and sanded down, primed and sprayed.

They had to take off the chrome sill off because the rust had crept underneath it.

As far as I know this car had been in the ownership of at least three forum owners in the past, and they are far from regular users on here, so I dont really know them, the guy who repaired it has said this is not a private drive job so had to be from a garage, he saved all the bits that he had taken off, and looking at it he has made a really professional job, I have four photos of the bodge before it was repaired being on Whasap I don't know how to put them on here. in general I really love this car it is something I had worked up to. disappointed is to say the least, I shall be at Ragley Hall this weekend and Eden Camp later, if anyone wants to have a look please feel free to have a chat.

Rev Jules,

If any one knows anything about this car, or knows about the work done.
Contact me!!! work done
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 09:08   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

WoW! thats a ridiculously shocking repair gluing the metal piece in with expanding foam I've already had to weld around the r/n/s jacking point & outer sill on mine, It wont be the last lot of welding on my car either as I've noticed bubbling starting on the r/o/s sill too.

That's the trouble with this kind of welding job by the time you've cut the rot out & found good metal to weld to the hole ends up three times the size if not more.

The rot around the r/n/s jacking point on mine started as a golfball sized hole, but by the time I'd cut out & found some metal good enough to take a weld it was the size of a grapefruit.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 13:32   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

There was a faint bubble coming through on the drivers side lower sill, so I thought no real problem get it back to metal and make good, not my cup of tea, so put it into my regular garage, who I might add trust.
He does not do this work, but a little workshop a couple doors away renovates Morris Minors, agreed to do the work.

It went in last Wednesday, picked it up yesterday, My mechanic rang me up last Thursday telling me the bubble was worse than it looked and he has taken photos of the abortion of a repair that had been previously done, outwardly it looked okay nothing seriously to worry about.
After grinding the area down the hole got bigger and bigger till in the end it was at least 15 inches long, it had been repaired with two pieces of tin cut from could have been baked beans for all I know, these had been put into the hole and and secured with some sort of glue then expanding foam injected into the sill.

They had to take off the chrome sill off because the rust had crept underneath it.

As far as I know this car had been in the ownership of at least three forum owners in the past, and they are far from regular users on here, so I dont really know them, the guy who repaired it has said this is not a private drive job so had to be from a garage, he saved all the bits that he had taken off, and looking at it he has made a really professional job, I have four photos of the bodge before it was repaired being on Whasap I don't know how to put them on here. in general I really love this car it is something I had worked up to. disappointed is to say the least, I shall be at Ragley Hall this weekend and Eden Camp later, if anyone wants to have a look please feel free to have a chat.

Rev Jules,

Contact me!!! work done
I had a similar issue with LJW in 2014 and posted it up. The garage who did the repairs and welding Julien botched it and the car failed the MOT purely on the botch. A Rover garage begged me not to name and shame them on the OC. We then came to deal and the matter was resolved, LJW followed on and went through the MOT in shining colours. I posted it up on the enthusiasts forum and was referred to an Aston Martin Body Shop in Lincolnshire for high quality work and finish. The lesson I learned was to stick with the professionals. I appealed to all of the Rover 75 car forums/clubs to do the welding, but no one stepped up to help.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 12th April 2017 at 13:35..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 20:12   #4
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
WoW! thats a ridiculously shocking repair gluing the metal piece in with expanding foam I've already had to weld around the r/n/s jacking point & outer sill on mine, It wont be the last lot of welding on my car either as I've noticed bubbling starting on the r/o/s sill too.

That's the trouble with this kind of welding job by the time you've cut the rot out & found good metal to weld to the hole ends up three times the size if not more.

The rot around the r/n/s jacking point on mine started as a golfball sized hole, but by the time I'd cut out & found some metal good enough to take a weld it was the size of a grapefruit.
Just paid £100 to have rear offside jacking point welded, rest of the car will probably rot out before this!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 20:28   #5
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Sad.

Quote:

Rev Jules,

Contact me!!! work done
It makes me sad and angry that this kind of thing can happen, I've a repair on a ZT this year that has a perforated sill. I'm going to take out the seat and a piece of the inner sill to repair the outer one. There are too many bodgers out there I'm afraid, I do hope that it hasn't tainted your love of the car, we live and learn!
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 20:44   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I have just spent quite a few days under my 45, cutting and welding plates to fix two rust spots. Even on the drive it is not a hard job really (Albeit with the right tools).
If a garage did it, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I did have a Kia a few years back where the ABS lights was rewired to the oil pressure light.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 14:32   #7
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Here are a couple of photos of what they took out before they could repair the sill.

Rev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1133.jpg (137.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (144.1 KB, 156 views)
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 14:46   #8
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:

Here are a couple of photos of what they took out before they could repair the sill.

Rev
That looks like the sort of repair I used to do on my old MK II Cortina. I had the excuse that I was 19 at the time and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I took the approach that if you couldn't see the rust, it was sorted!

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 20:59   #9
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Here are the photos of Jules's op.

David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 21:41   #10
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

That's really not nice! (the "before" pics I mean).

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote