Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2017, 11:22   #21
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Okay so the government want to deal with petrol and diesel cars, typical hurt the motorist but what about this then

Massive cruise liners 'each spew out as much sulphurous emissions gas per year as 376 MILLION CARS

I guess the government aren't intending on doing nothing about that, yet another example of go after a motorist because it's an easy target

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Old 26th July 2017, 11:24   #22
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I suspect that given a suitable infrastructure (which I doubt), nobody will buy a new petrol or diesel car within the last 10 years rundown to 2040 as they will be worthless. The worry is therefore will there be any petrol stations still open in 2030 for us. The whole issue is not as far into the future as the critics would have us believe. Interestingly, nothing said on the future of lorries and other large commercial vehicles, or aircraft.

Given that Government revenue will stall, and people will live even longer, I am not sure that this has been thoroughly thought through! Perhaps the State Pension Age should become 100!
Old 26th July 2017, 11:26   #23
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I've been reading stuff like this now for awhile, especially these past few months. It will be very interesting to see when the vehicle manufactures start to reduce the numbers of petrol and diesel motors being built, I suppose garage fourcourts will slowly phase out petrol and diesel vehicles in favour of EV's.

EV's seem to favour automatic, doe this mean the manual gearbox will also be phased out.?

We might as well go join the BMW EV Mini club forum now, we could be the original members from 2017, that will look quite impressive when its 2040.
You don't need a gearbox in the way we know it Wes, these motors effectively produce maximum torque from zero rpm to the motors maximum speed, you just need forward or reverse. Some may add in gears for difficult terrain EV Land Rovers perhaps on the cards.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:29   #24
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Let's not forget that the internal combustion engine is not a write off yet and neither will it be in 2040. Hydrogen can power IC engines as can LPG, which could effectively have a come back.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:53   #25
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

We will all be driving automatics by 2040.

I reckon in the next 2 years the government will start the push towards EV's by way of the vehicle scrappage scheme, will be something like £4,000 towards a low emission petrol motor, £6,000 for a Hybrid, and £8,000 for a fully electric vehicle, obviously I could be way out with those figures.

The government and the vehicle manufactures will want to see how the sale's figures pan-out before they make any drastic changes, they will want to see how the general public adopt to EV ownership.

In the next 5-10 years we will have a massive increase in EV public charge-points, petrol stations will be the first, then at the workplace, large business will be favoured. This will be followed by large retail parks, train stations, airports and hospitals etc.

Petrol fuel will be massively expensive, forcing the motorist to move over to EV ownership. Once EV's have their foothold, then watch the government set the figures high in owning and running one. There will be new fee's to pay, or increased charging costs (it will be like petrol and diesel taxations all over again).

Last edited by Dallas; 26th July 2017 at 12:07..
Old 26th July 2017, 12:28   #26
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

We are struggling to meet our current electricity needs for the National Grid, due to older power stations closing and the slow process of building new ones, so does this plan include a strategy for increasing power production/capacity to cope with vehicle charging ?

Whilst the shift to EVs/hybrids will improve air quality at street level in cities, if the power stations are burning more gas/coal to generate the extra power for car charging, CO2 emissions could be even higher.

As I think I have pointed out before when this topic came up on the forum, the data used by the environment lobby to pressurise the government into this policy change is open to question - the claimed extra 40,000 deaths due to diesel is open to scrutiny. If you look at the EU report on air quality issued in 2015, the average reduction in life expectancy in the UK due to NO2 emissions is just 21 hours.

Pete
Old 26th July 2017, 12:33   #27
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Okay so the government want to deal with petrol and diesel cars, typical hurt the motorist but what about this then

Massive cruise liners 'each spew out as much sulphurous emissions gas per year as 376 MILLION CARS

I guess the government aren't intending on doing nothing about that, yet another example of go after a motorist because it's an easy target

Mick

I don't think it's so much about easy targets but emissions in urban areas are becoming an increasing problem so that issue is tackled first.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 26th July 2017, 12:37   #28
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Absolutely Pete.
We are far from geared up for charging a plethora of electric cars. As usual the green lobbying have no real idea of the logistics involved or the disruption to the man and woman in the street.
We are in the midst of leaving the EU and right now to put major changes on the table seems ludicrous.
We seem to forget the advances in pollution control on cars in the last 30 years, gone are the days of leaded petrol, high sulphur diesel, cats have been added, better engine efficiency and DPFs on diesels. The motor manufacturers certainly have not sat on their posterior doing nothing unlike politicians.
Old 26th July 2017, 12:38   #29
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
We are struggling to meet our current electricity needs for the National Grid, due to older power stations closing and the slow process of building new ones, so does this plan include a strategy for increasing power production/capacity to cope with vehicle charging ?
We'd not need as much as people think. There would be issues in the change over but the refining industry consumes large amounts of electricity, I've seen some basic fag packet maths on the Mw required the gap is fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

Old 26th July 2017, 12:42   #30
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think the biggest problem isn't the cars themselves or the power stations it's the charging of the cars themselves. We'd need a complete mindset change in how we plan or build in urban and residential areas. The amount of charging points needed is going to be in the tens of millions.

Closed Thread