Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > MG Rover Custom Car Parts (Rick-Sta's) Shop
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2017, 07:53   #21
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 View Post
Hi Rick,

Do you know if it possible to use an OEM R75 rear windscreen switch for the front windscreen?

Cheers

Mike
Yes, that would be good to know, the more professional the finish the better.

What did members do when installing the first batch??

Steve.
Old 29th December 2017, 22:06   #22
ianbstag
Loves to post

MG ZT 260 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyjackdaniels View Post
What did members do when installing the first batch??
I got mine from the 260's batch, I've wired it via a 90amp relay for safety, which then splits via two 30amp fuses (one for each side, there are two elements). Having put a meter across the wiring, each side pulls around 25ish amps, so make sure your alternator is healthy, heated front and rear screens, heated seats, lights and heater blower pull a LOT of current.

The relay is triggered by an oem heated seat switch (fitted upside down), so a timer is included in the circuit, there's a tell-tale led and the dash lighting works too.

It's been a god-send over the last month or so with the freezing weather, best mod ever!
ianbstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 06:34   #23
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Thanks for reply Ian.

Rick is very kindly sorting out the relays and wires for the screens. When the screen arrives and have it fitted, will take it down get it wired up correctly, as you say, a lot of current going through!!

Did you say you used a heated seat button for the switching on and off,and that was ideal?

Thanks again. Steve.
Old 1st January 2018, 16:55   #24
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 View Post
Hi Rick,

Do you know if it possible to use an OEM R75 rear windscreen switch for the front windscreen?

Cheers

Mike
Quote:
Thanks for reply Ian.

Rick is very kindly sorting out the relays and wires for the screens. When the screen arrives and have it fitted, will take it down get it wired up correctly, as you say, a lot of current going through!!

Did you say you used a heated seat button for the switching on and off,and that was ideal?

Thanks again. Steve.
Hi both,

there's a couple options for activating the heated windscreen which I could think of. One is to wire the relays to the rear screen demist button, this would mean that the front and rear heated screens would come on together. Or to wire the relays to a separate heated seat switch which would mean the front heated screen can be operated separately.

Which ever option you go for, the wiring harness I'll be supplying will come with a pre wired timed relay which will only allow the front heated screen to turn on for 2 minutes. This is all the time it needs to clear the frost, in cases of very thick frost you can then always switch it on again to clear the last bit of frost if needed - anything more is just unnecessary and using too much power.

From researching into the best set up for heated windscreens, I found that the screen should not be operated for much longer such as 5mins + at a time due to the amount of power it uses. The front screens use more power than the rear. All of the cars with OEM heated windscreens only seem to come on for around 2 minutes, whereas rear heated screens stay on for much longer.

The timed relay I include in the wiring will be set to 2 minutes. The the rear heated screen switch has a 20min timer and the heated seat switches have (I believe) a 15min timer, both of which are too long.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:34   #25
ianbstag
Loves to post

MG ZT 260 V8

Hi Rick,

When I had my screen delivered by the guy from Ricky Evans Motorsport, I asked about how long it was supposed to be left on for, and he surprised me by saying that they are designed to be left on for the whole race/rally stage, so no major limits.

To be honest, I don't think mine has needed more than three or four minutes to clear the screen, so I just turn it off/on as and when.

The main thing, I suppose, is the current drain, so probably a couple/three minutes is about right.
ianbstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 14:38   #26
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbstag View Post
Hi Rick,

When I had my screen delivered by the guy from Ricky Evans Motorsport, I asked about how long it was supposed to be left on for, and he surprised me by saying that they are designed to be left on for the whole race/rally stage, so no major limits.

To be honest, I don't think mine has needed more than three or four minutes to clear the screen, so I just turn it off/on as and when.

The main thing, I suppose, is the current drain, so probably a couple/three minutes is about right.

Yes they're designed to stay on for as long as you want The screen can handle it but as they do use a lot of current, I think it would be best if they are limited to 2-3 minute intervals. You can always switch it on again if it didn't clear the screen completely, although everyone I've spoken to who has these screens already have said 2 minutes is more than enough

The timed relays I will be including in the wiring will be adjustable anyway, so you could time the relay to stay on for longer
Old 4th January 2018, 14:40   #27
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default Update

Good news everyone, the order has been placed for 25 windscreens and is all going ahead now. Will keep you all posted regularly on any updates, the windscreens are expected to be completed by end of March.

For now this month I will be making a test loom with the relays and will post updates on that

Many thanks again everyone who shared an interest in this
Old 4th February 2018, 10:32   #28
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

There's a post over on the 260 OC, a warning about the power consumption with the heated screen. This time of year if you have the heated screen on, heated rear window, heated seats and lights the alternator output will struggle to cope with the load and fall back on the battery to make up any shortfall. OK if you are going long distances but short runs has resulted in the battery being too low to start the car.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 14:59   #29
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default Update

Just a quick update - I have received an update regarding the heated windscreens, all being well the windscreens are scheduled to be ready on 25th March. So hopefully by the end of this month/start of next month they will all be shipped.

I will be sending out the wiring looms with instructions at the end of this month too.

Delivery:
For those who ordered a windscreen, I sent an email to all of you recently requesting delivery address details which I can forward to the supplier. I've received replies from most, however some have yet to reply. Just in case you've missed my emails, I'll post on here too.

Could you provide me with your shipping address where you would like the windscreen to be sent please? If there are certain days in the week where you can't accept delivery due to not being home please let me know and I will pass on the info to the supplier organising the delivery, as they need you to be home at time of delivery otherwise it voids the insurance if they have to re-deliver on another day.

Balancing Payment:
Also, once I know for sure that the windscreens are going to be ready, I will be accepting the balancing payment for the windscreens which will need to be paid before the windscreen can be shipped to you.

The balancing payment is:
For those who require shipping: £126.50 + £52.80 shipping
For those who are collecting the windscreen: £126.50

I will send out another email + update on here when I'm ready to accept the balancing payments

Many thanks
Rick
Old 18th March 2018, 15:02   #30
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Default 5 more heated windscreens available

Also, I have been informed that there are 5 extra heated windscreens produced which are available. These will be offered to Davell22 and Anemesis first as they have first dibs, if anyone would be interested in one of these additional windscreens let me know