Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2018, 19:14   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default What's your take On the Ford Cougar compare too the Probe.

Just been on a Ford forum for all Ford cars and there's a pretty interesting debate going on regarding the ford cougar and Probe in terms of style and performance.
So far the cougar seems to be well ahead.

For the life of me being looking at the cougar at all angles and the only conclusion I can come up with is I DON'T SEE THE APPEAL IN AT ALL.
Too me the cougar looks too much like a Ford Puma just been stretched out too fit around sports coupe design, The puma is a quick little rocket and suits the style well.
The cougar just doesn't have that spark that I get when I look at other cars in its class.

The probe this is why I keep buying they look as they were built for the future, even tho the production ended in 98 you get a sense that's its timeless design.
Was meant too look great regardless what year it was made and what year the car would still be around a lot more class despite the reputation it received.

Its aggressive and you'd swear that it was packing a lot more power then it actually was, when you saw go by you thought beeping hell that looks good.
Ford may have Regarded The probe has a big flop, But you can't deny that when you see one you still think WOW Still looks good even now.

Both cars are packing enough power too get the thrills going for those who love too put the pedal too the metal, in my opinion I do kind of wish they did the RWD set up for the probe instead competing against the front wheel drive market and had a V8 option for its own.

If it did wouldn't be a probe it would be a mustang.

The probe will always be the car I'll keep coming back too and the fond memories I have of them.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 19:34   #2
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Neither car is particularly good imo. Time has been kind to the Probe which has grown into its looks; it's just a shame about the slightly naff interior and wheezy performance. I'd expect the Cougar to be a more refined drive and a better cruiser. Its styling demonstrates some sharp New Edge detailing that still looks fresh but the body is dumpy and doesn't have the athletic proportions of the Probe.

To be honest the only 90's Ford coupe worth a look-in is the Puma. Can't be long until the market wakes up to these little gems.
Old 29th January 2018, 19:45   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Neither car is particularly good imo. Time has been kind to the Probe which has grown into its looks; it's just a shame about the slightly naff interior and wheezy performance. I'd expect the Cougar to be a more refined drive and a better cruiser. Its styling demonstrates some sharp New Edge detailing that still looks fresh but the body is dumpy and doesn't have the athletic proportions of the Probe.

To be honest the only 90's Ford coupe worth a look-in is the Puma. Can't be long until the market wakes up to these little gems.
YES YES YES someone that agrees with me that the probe looks better.
Happy Lordy.

I Hate too admit this being owner of them and all The performance could have been better standard , Mines little bit quicker after the upgrades I've done too get it up too that power range.

But it costs a bomb and mainly US parts which is a big pain in the backside.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 29th January 2018, 19:53   #4
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Wouldn’t buy either of them, I think they both look awful
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 19:55   #5
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think the cougar had more distinctive styling, the new edge stuff was quite striking in it's day. I think the probe never took because of the heavy American styling, especially rear of the drivers door, it looks a little lost. Tbh the 406 coupe was far better than both and still looks really good even today.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 19:57   #6
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post

That's a shocker.

Never heard anyone say I wouldn't any of them before normally its one or the other.

Consider yourself your the only I know that said no too none of them.
As long as the cougar doesn't get a point I'm happy.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 29th January 2018, 20:02   #7
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I think the cougar had more distinctive styling, the new edge stuff was quite striking in it's day. I think the probe never took because of the heavy American styling, especially rear of the drivers door, it looks a little lost. Tbh the 406 coupe was far better than both and still looks really good even today.
I just can't see it you know, I've looked at every angle of the cougar and it doesn't do anything for me, I try too like it but can't.

Cougar was actually a probe Mk3 but Ford changed its name too Mercury Cougar before its official release.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 29th January 2018, 20:04   #8
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Nor would I tbh. Neither coupe stood up well against its contemporaries back in the 90s (Calibra, Corrado, Tomcat, 406, Fiat Coupe etc.) and that still holds true now.

Anything vaguely sporty with a Ford will alway gather a following so both the Probe and Cougar will have their day as the die-hards get priced out of older Fords and try to convince themselves that the Probe really was a replacement for the Probe.
Old 29th January 2018, 20:09   #9
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
I just can't see it you know, I've looked at every angle of the cougar and it doesn't do anything for me, I try too like it but can't.
Each to their own, I'm not a big fan of either tbh. Ford normally get it right, they're used to selling shed loads. They missed the mark with those two I think. But if you enjoy them that's what matters.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 20:11   #10
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Nor would I tbh. Neither coupe stood up well against its contemporaries back in the 90s (Calibra, Corrado, Tomcat, 406, Fiat Coupe etc.) and that still holds true now.

Anything vaguely sporty with a Ford will alway gather a following so both the Probe and Cougar will have their day as the die-hards get priced out of older Fords and try to convince themselves that the Probe really was a replacement for the Probe.
Ford Mazda or should I say auto alliance were up against big major players of the sports coupe world and the calibre red top and VR6 corrado was the big leagues during its time and of course in the US Eagle talon had there coupe was which was in my language VERY BEEPING FAST.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.