Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2019, 09:27   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Anyone here owned a 2008-2012 Ford Kuga?

Morning all,

We're looking to upgrade my fiance's daily ford fiesta for something bigger and more powerful. The fiesta has been a great car but being a 1.25 it is very slow on motorways etc. she really wants a SUV as she likes sitting up higher in a taller car. She's really taken a liking to the Ford Kuga, which is pretty much the only option within her budget that she likes (she's fussy lol). She has a budget of around £6-7k so can get a decent titanium model with less than 65k miles for that.

Has anyone here ever owned one or still owns one? Just wanted to hear from you on your experiences owning one. Looking up common issues, the 2008-2012 models seem to be pretty reliable, with just the standard DPF filter issues being a common issue, but that's an issue on all newer diesels these days.

Also can't decide between 2wd or awd. 2wd is lighter so marginally better on fuel but after reading on the kuga forums there's apparently much differencr in fuel economy between the 2wd and awd models. The awd system isn't a permanently on system, the front wheels are driven all the time and the rear wheels only kick in when needed, such as when traction is lost or when you floor it. One advantage of the awd option is apparently it's meant to be safer,as the stability control system can control power in all wheels, whereas on the 2wd it can't do that.

Going to pick out 3 locally just to test drive to see if she likes them and will get on ok with them before we properly start looking for one to buy.

Cheers
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 09:53   #2
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Hi Rick.

I valet a Ford Kuga for a nurse who works at Belhaven Hospital and have driven it a few times, she is on her second and loves them.

I find it a lovely drive with pin sharp steering and excellent handling, both were/are 4wd and 2.0tdci Titainium spec and very comfortable to sit in and roomy with a good sized boot, on the road the Kuga drives beautifully with more than enough power and cruises very quietly, as far as i know she has experienced no issues reliability wise either.

But try all three and see how you get on.

Ps...Her last Kuga was a 2012 and her currant one is a 2018 (18 reg)

Last edited by Graham1961; 21st March 2019 at 09:55.. Reason: adding more info.
Graham1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 10:16   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Better point this out, posted in the Chill Out Zone by Ian the other day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Daughter just got her Ford diesel Kuga back, turned out it was the diesel fuel filter housing assembly had melted causing no fuel pressure, doesn't sound good that the fuel filter housing assembly had melted
Don't know what year it is, you'd need to ask Ian.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 12:01   #4
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Just get her a Fiesta ST and a big cushion
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 13:22   #5
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Morning all,

We're looking to upgrade my fiance's daily ford fiesta for something bigger and more powerful. The fiesta has been a great car but being a 1.25 it is very slow on motorways etc.

Cheers
Having been a passenger in a 1.0 ecoboost turbo charged fiesta, I can vouch that it is anything but slow when it is driven with purpose does the kuga it come with that engine?

In fact my 1998 1300 (non-zetec) fiesta would happily sit at 70(plus) on a dual carriageway.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 13:44   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1961 View Post
Hi Rick.

I valet a Ford Kuga for a nurse who works at Belhaven Hospital and have driven it a few times, she is on her second and loves them.

I find it a lovely drive with pin sharp steering and excellent handling, both were/are 4wd and 2.0tdci Titainium spec and very comfortable to sit in and roomy with a good sized boot, on the road the Kuga drives beautifully with more than enough power and cruises very quietly, as far as i know she has experienced no issues reliability wise either.

But try all three and see how you get on.

Ps...Her last Kuga was a 2012 and her currant one is a 2018 (18 reg)
That's good to hear The 2012 one was probably the same model as what we're looking at. Just noticed last night some were fitted with a panoramic glass roof, now that looks lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Just get her a Fiesta ST and a big cushion
Need something bigger than a Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
Having been a passenger in a 1.0 ecoboost turbo charged fiesta, I can vouch that it is anything but slow when it is driven with purpose does the kuga it come with that engine?

In fact my 1998 1300 (non-zetec) fiesta would happily sit at 70(plus) on a dual carriageway.
Would stay well away from any of these small engine ecoboost cars personally, have heard nothing but bad news about them from mechanics. Impressive that they get that kind of power out of such a small engine, but they don't last. Multiple reports of them only being good for 30-40k miles before the engine dies! Heard similar stories about other manufacturers' small turbocharged engines as well.

Our fiesta can sit happily at 70 plus as well, it just takes a weekend to get there

The Kuga we're looking at are only available in 2.0 diesel or 2.5 petrol. The diesel is what we're looking to go for
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 18:46   #7
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

No experience of my own, but my best friend has a 59 plate Kuga. Shall we say its been a tad troublesome. He's spent quite a bit on it unfortunately and don't think he's overly impressed. Can't see it sticking around much longer.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 19:10   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
No experience of my own, but my best friend has a 59 plate Kuga. Shall we say its been a tad troublesome. He's spent quite a bit on it unfortunately and don't think he's overly impressed. Can't see it sticking around much longer.
It is ten years old though

How about a CMax, the girl two doors up has one and it seems to thrive on complete and utter neglect.

She does nothing, and I do mean nothing to the car but drive it, one day I washed it, not the whole car mind you, but straight up the middle.

It stayed that way for the next three months, until it went for it's service and MOT.

Nice and high up, just like a Kuga, but slightly cheaper

Anyway, why has nobody jumped onto this thread saying you could buy ten good Rover 75 for that sort of money...........fact is you can't

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote