Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2019, 08:06   #1
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Default Mystery??

Used the tourer yesterday and left it on the drive as always. As I was going to bed I noticed the headlights were on dimly. Went to the car and I had left the key in the ignition, took it out and the headlights went off. Put it back in and they came on again, the light switch was off. Needless to say battery too low to start car, so it is on charge this morning. Any thoughts as to why the lights came on?
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 11:45   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

This may be relevant ?
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ng+home&page=2
Old 31st May 2019, 13:12   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Perhaps you left the ---See you home----headlights on by accident with a battery that was on its last legs.---

Don't forget to give that battery at least 24 hours charge.

The day after charging and before you switch on the engine check the battery voltage at the terminals.--It should read over 12.6 volts if the battery condition inside is OK.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 13:22   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Possible wiring short along chassis legs, or corrosion damage lsm?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 18:47   #5
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Needed to use car so put it on charge for about two hours. Started first time. Has run well all day and started first time when asked. Still mystified as to why lights came on as I hadn’t used the lights, seems leaving the key in was the difference. No lights on tonight, battery on charge but all seems well now.
Old 31st May 2019, 19:05   #6
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulkhead View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Needed to use car so put it on charge for about two hours. Started first time. Has run well all day and started first time when asked. Still mystified as to why lights came on as I hadn’t used the lights, seems leaving the key in was the difference. No lights on tonight, battery on charge but all seems well now.
I'm sorry, I'm not convinced it is OK. I think something may have gone astray with your Light Switch Module. If you get near a T4 you should get it checked.

Good luck,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 21:11   #7
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not convinced it is OK. I think something may have gone astray with your Light Switch Module. If you get near a T4 you should get it checked.

Good luck,
Glenn
No t4 on the Isle of Wight, as I said all is well today, so hopefully car will continue to be reliable, on 175k now, so would have to retire it if any problem that proves to difficult to sort. Fingers crossed that whatever happened won’t happen again.
Old 1st June 2019, 08:04   #8
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

"Fingers Crossed" should do the trick....... I'm sure this method is mentioned in many Technical Documents

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 11:47   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
"Fingers Crossed" should do the trick....... I'm sure this method is mentioned in many Technical Documents

Paul.
A tried and tested method used by many people in all walks of life.

( Half the time it works too.-----)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 12:11   #10
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Smile

Before putting members down why not realise that some of us love these cars but rely on advice from members who have skill and knowledge. My tourer is a 51 plate. It cost me £750 5 years ago, it has passed mot each year without major issues, the bodywork is sound, I get oil and fluids changed regularly. I love driving around the Island with my dogs in the back and often have great conversations with admirers in car parks. I have on each occasion that I have had an issue with the car sought advice from the forum. French Mike, Arctic, Brian, Klarzy, Harry and others to numerous to mention. I have done the sunroof drains, the handbrake, the FBH, the brake discs and pads, those big round things on the suspension and changed the crankshaft pulley recently. I am nearly 70, I do not welcome members posting emojis that brand me as thick, stupid or duh!
As I said the car is at present running fine, access to t4 is not available, I listened to advice, but the car returned to normal running after 2 hours charge, I do not have a garage full of testers, so cannot check it’s s condition. It either works or I get a new one. The remark that my fingers were crossed was not meant to be a technical comment, just that as at present all seems well, I hope the mystery lights on was just an unexplained event. If it happens again I will of course have to seek further advice and support. However, there is a limit to my budget, so fingers crossed that the car continues to be reliable and a joy to drive. My charger says the battery is fully charged and the car is starting and running fine. Cut out the smart ass put downs and judgemental conclusions about members less technically able or knowledgeable. Nice day here, hope all is well for all of you. Love this forum for support, don’t need to be judged or put down!