Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2019, 20:31   #1
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

Default Any DPF experts on here.

Not Rover/MG related but I hold the views of members here in high regard.
My sister has a 2012 Vauxhall Mokka 1.7 Turbo Diesel. Used mainly for short journies. The other day, the DPF light came on and went into limp mode. I suggested a DPF cleaner which I sourced and for a day or so, things were looking up. But no longer, it now seems to be a solid fault and she took

it to garage where they hooked it up to the computer. They say it needs:
- a new DPF
- a new sensor ( report doesn't say which one )
- a new glow plug
- new oil/filter/gaskets ( fair enough )

But the cost is truly staggering, the DPF alone is £1,376 and with the other bits, the total bill with labour is not quite 2K.

Apparently, the garage tried to do a 'forced regeneration' but the vehicle didn't want to oblige. I've been doing some research and i see some companies actually clean DPF's ( using various methods ). I was hoping someone might have actually had it done and can comment on the success (or otherwise), failing that, are there any auggestions for a cheaper alternative repair.
many thanks
Bap
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:48   #2
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Find a garage that will remove the DPF and flush it through with water usually about £100-£150 the chemical cleans etc work but cost so much more. This will not fix the source of the problem and will quickly re-block if the underling fault is not found.

Most garages will run a diagnostic and offer to replace what the see as a logged fault (commonly O2 sensor), they are usually wrong. If you ask if they can check the fuel trim long and short logs and they look puzzled they are not the garage you need.

Lessons learned with a Jaguar 2.7!

Last edited by Mr bountyfull; 22nd July 2019 at 20:50..
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:52   #3
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Find a garage that will remove the DPF and flush it through usually about £100-£150. This will not fix the source of the problem and will quickly re-block if the underling fault is not found.

Most garages will run a diagnostic and offer to replace what the see as a logged fault (commonly O2 sensor), they are usually wrong. If you ask if the can check the fuel trim long and short logs and they look puzzled they are not the garage you need.

https://youtu.be/5WnM_NsOtd8

Lessons learned with a Jaguar 2.7!

Read them both, sorry
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:34   #4
bobb12005
Avid contributor

rover75

give it an italian tune ie. drive it in third gear at about 4omph for about 15 minuets an it will regenerate. this works on my vw golf.then tell her to drive it on a longer trip every couple of weeks to regenerate the dpf.
bobb12005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 21:51   #5
bobb12005
Avid contributor

rover75

further to my last all diesels after 2008 are fitted with dpf and need to be run at working temp for 15/20 minutes preferabley motorway speeds to regenerate the dpf or the dpf fills with particulates and block.these veh. are not good for lots of short trips.
bobb12005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 22:25   #6
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

No wonder people simply have these NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- things removed
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:10   #7
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

A "Regen" happens as stated when the car goes over 50 mph for a period of time but must have over 1/4 of a tank of fuel and have no engine error lights on.
A forced regen can be done by a diagnostic machine but its imperative its had a recent oil and filter change due to the high revs gradually built up over a period of approx ten mins with the car stationary hence very high temps without the benefit of passing air cooling the engine.
Having said that if the DPF has gone the point of no return the car will not be able to perform the regen. Forte lubricants have a machine that flushes the DPF and injectors and inlet manifold (I believe whilst the car is running)and only 1 car could not be sorted which was a BMW with a cracked DPF that had hit a brick or similar. The treatment here in Coventry is approx £200 all in without removing any parts etc. Im a Forte distributor (you have to jump through hoops to get it) and just call the head office for your nearest garage who has the equipment.
024 7647 4069
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:23   #8
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Wot he said ^^^^

We have to send them off for chemical cleaning as our garage doesn't have a machine but the success rate is very high.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:13   #9
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

You could always have the dpf "removed" ie the housing cut open, innards removed, welded back in etc. Although it's technically illegal, you'll not have dpf issues again.

I'm afraid the moral of the story here (and is something that's said time and time again) is don't buy a diesel if you only do short trips. Anyone intending to buy a modern diesel wants to be doing 20000 miles a year
In fact, petrols are so economical now I don't know why you'd want a diesel.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:35   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
You could always have the dpf "removed" ie the housing cut open, innards removed, welded back in etc. Although it's technically illegal, you'll not have dpf issues again.....
But be prepared for an instant MoT failure.

Taken from here:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_8.2

8.2.2 Compression ignition engine emissions

8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment

You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

Defect Category
  1. Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective
Major
  1. An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels
Major
  1. Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with
Major

I reckon the "evidence" in the 2nd paragraph will need to be documents/invoices etc. to show what was done and that the DPF is still present. It's easy to tell if it isn't - the exhaust pipe will be black with soot .

As for cleaning; these folks are highly recommended and offer a Nationwide service.

https://dpfcleanteam.co.uk/

Good Luck.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 23rd July 2019 at 10:56..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote